Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #1,366 of 1,437
Can anyone suggest a good over-the-ear open back that has the tuning and technicality of the KSC75? I love the open and airy nature of them but prolonged use makes the back of my ears sore even after adjusting the clips. I've also tried the metal headband mod but discomfort still arises.

I use these for music and gaming and the soundstage and imaging is unparalleled. Here is the gear I have or experienced with but didn't fit my needs. Sundara, K701, HD560S, DT900 Prox.

Did you try Yaxis?

Same tone:

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X. But the imaging is weird (behind your head).

AKG K361. But, that's closed. (Edit: meant the AKG K612 Pro).

What's your budget?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #1,367 of 1,437
Did you try Yaxis?

Same tone:

Audio Technica ATH-AD900. But the imaging is weird (behind your head).

AKG K361. But, that's closed.

What's your budget?

I have the yaxis on them currently and tried them with the retrospect/kph40 headband, both cause discomfort after a while. Ideally, the budget is around $500 give or take.

I'm partial to open backs cause I don't like the occlusion of my voice when speaking.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #1,368 of 1,437
I have the yaxis on them currently and tried them with the retrospect/kph40 headband, both cause discomfort after a while. Ideally, the budget is around $500 give or take.

I'm partial to open backs cause I don't like the occlusion of my voice when speaking.

Next closest in tone after those other two, but has better technicalities:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro/Premium. Skip the 32 ohm version.

It's semi-open, but is known for its excellent imaging and decent stage.

Mar 29, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #1,369 of 1,437
Next closest in tone after those other two, but has better technicalities:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro/Premium. Skip the 32 ohm version.

It's semi-open, but is known for its excellent imaging and decent stage.

Awesome I'll look into the Audio Technicas.

The DT 900 Pro X are going back for having a defective mini XLR cable that's stuck and won't come out with excessive force, to experience this after all the praise I've heard on Beyer's build quality is not confidence inspiring.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #1,370 of 1,437
Awesome I'll look into the Audio Technicas.

The DT 900 Pro X are going back for having a defective mini XLR cable that's stuck and won't come out with excessive force, to experience this after all the praise I've heard on Beyer's build quality is not confidence inspiring.

I had a brain fart and totally mixed up the AKG K612 Pro with the aforementioned AKG K361.

Definitely that over the AD900X. My apologies.

Mar 29, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #1,371 of 1,437
I had a brain fart and totally mixed up the AKG K612 Pro with the aforementioned AKG K361.

Definitely that over the AD900X. My apologies.

I own the K701 and have tried the K702 and K712 Pro, a few different sources online describe the K612 Pros as flat/neutral. They are good reference series headphones, but for music and gaming enjoyment, I'm looking for something with good soundstage and sparkle that the KSC75's do so well.

From what I'm reading the AD900x is bright leaning with good soundstage/imaging. The non-detachable cable is a turnoff, but I think I'll give it a try and see if they fit my needs.

Mar 29, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #1,372 of 1,437
I own the K701 and have tried the K702 and K712 Pro, a few different sources online describe the K612 Pros as flat/neutral. They are good reference series headphones, but for music and gaming enjoyment, I'm looking for something with good soundstage and sparkle that the KSC75's do so well.

From what I'm reading the AD900x is bright leaning with good soundstage/imaging. The non-detachable cable is a turnoff, but I think I'll give it a try and see if they fit my needs.

Just for fun, here's some graphs.

Attachments

• output.png
    output.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 0
  • output-1.png
    output-1.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • output~2.png
    output~2.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,373 of 1,437

The cable on my ATH-AD500x is horrible. I assume the 900 is the same. But the sound is sublime with a little EQ. LF is not subterranean but is fine for my musical tastes. The wings don't fit every noggin right. I tension them with a rubber band so that they sit just a little higher on my head.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #1,375 of 1,437

i wonder how your ears might like something like the "KPH30i Ultra" mod people have been doing. Great big Grado pads on the Koss 60ohm drivers. I can wear them for longer than a PortaPro... but then clips are the best for my ears.

Jun 24, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #1,377 of 1,437
Any tips for having the KSC75 mount a bit more firm on the Parts Express Headband? I love the sound of these on the headphone, a bit more clamps means more bass. But they are loose on the fittings so can rattle around some on my head and make noise.
Mine fall off sometimes... off of the band.

Jul 1, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #1,378 of 1,437
Any tips for having the KSC75 mount a bit more firm on the Parts Express Headband? I love the sound of these on the headphone, a bit more clamps means more bass. But they are loose on the fittings so can rattle around some on my head and make noise.
Years ago, I saw images of headband wrapped in heat shrink, orange & black iirc in sections and looked really nice too.
I think his/her intension was for aesthetics, more than likely it stiffened the headband too so it also doesn't fall off.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kos...-hidden-gem-hype.638757/page-88#post-16607315

Jul 4, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,379 of 1,437

Find a wide/thick rubber band and cut off approx 1cm of it. Put that across the opening in the parts express headband where the driver clicks into, and then click/push the driver into it. It will hold the driver in place better and should take care of any rattling.

Aug 24, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #1,380 of 1,437
I can also confirm that the Hama Basic4music headband on the EU amazons fits just fine.

koss.jpg

Hey thanx for the tip! I've just found these at our local store and they cost only 4 EUR. The ksc75 drivers fit perfectly into the holding elements of the Hama headband. Nothing broke during the transition.

Comfort is better with the headband and I can hear more bass and firmness, but also the sound is a bit less airy compared to the clips. Now I'm looking for some replacement pads at Aliexpress alternative to Yaxis (which are too expensive to ship where I live).

I'm officially happy with the headband mod. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back