Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #1,411 of 1,439
So been reading this topic intensively. I've known these overhyped threads particularly on the China edge of headfi, but these Koss seem to be universally praised. Not only here. In a separate topic I'm looking for a airier, more lifelike vocal presentation than my HD598 (and 439, which has same sound presentation). I want vocals and instruments, but preferably vocals, that are so airy you could grab them. Grado was being mentioned and, as these are a bit cheaper, I was wondering about the Koss. Any ideas? Have already better earphones been found? Note the Koss are $35 here in Holland, unfortunately no $10.

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #1,413 of 1,439
Could anyone help me to find out Part express headband or similar compatiable lightweight cheap headband for KOSS KSC75. Part express is not available at the source.
Should be available on Amazon.

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #1,415 of 1,439
These are still a giantkiller for me. I have a Utopia on my desk and I always go for the Koss. I love the dynamics you get with an on ear and the speaker like soundstage is just amazing.

I just don't get it. I bought the KSC75x and did the MMCX mod (had to, the cable broke as soon as I put them on for the first time) and really tried to like them, but they just sounded bad. They sounded grainy and distorted and didn't really take EQ well. Ended up giving them to my mother so she could listen to her Frank Sinatra albums.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,416 of 1,439
Dec 29, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #1,418 of 1,439
Only need headband,not the headphone. Headband used to be cost around $3.
Personally never saw the headband available on its own, and all the videos or advice I've seen regarding them was buy these "headphones," toss out the headphone bit, keep the band, and enjoy.

Dec 29, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #1,419 of 1,439
Personally never saw the headband available on its own, and all the videos or advice I've seen regarding them was buy these "headphones," toss out the headphone bit, keep the band, and enjoy.
Sorry, you are right. I got confused. It was actually sold for less than $3 at the part-express site itself.
https://www.parts-express.com/Mini-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones-with-4-ft.-Cord-240-015?quantity=4

I found a site which was selling only headband though. But at inflated price.

https://giantpygmy.net/shop/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product

Dec 29, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,420 of 1,439
Dec 29, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #1,421 of 1,439
Bumping my earlier question: after all these years are they still the giant killers? There is so much china-fi. I find it hard to believe (but I think I do) that these $20 sound like or better than a good $200 pair of Sennheisers. Point is I have both HD598 and HD439 and lots of China earphones and earbuds. I really want to believe they're better than my HD598, even if all I want is more a forward like, voice centred sound (Senns are too laid back). I don't even 'need' more details, just better vocals. Also they're about $38 here without any mods. If an EQ'ed HD598 could sound the same I might as well skip - i ve used it for years and still didn't break

Dec 29, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #1,422 of 1,439
I just don't get it. I bought the KSC75x and did the MMCX mod (had to, the cable broke as soon as I put them on for the first time) and really tried to like them, but they just sounded bad. They sounded grainy and distorted and didn't really take EQ well. Ended up giving them to my mother so she could listen to her Frank Sinatra albums.
I was going to ask whether they sounded distorted with the stock cable, but if it broke right away, I wonder if there's more defective about them.

Dec 29, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #1,423 of 1,439
Bumping my earlier question: after all these years are they still the giant killers? There is so much china-fi. I find it hard to believe (but I think I do) that these $20 sound like or better than a good $200 pair of Sennheisers. Point is I have both HD598 and HD439 and lots of China earphones and earbuds. I really want to believe they're better than my HD598, even if all I want is more a forward like, voice centred sound (Senns are too laid back). I don't even 'need' more details, just better vocals. Also they're about $38 here without any mods. If an EQ'ed HD598 could sound the same I might as well skip - i ve used it for years and still didn't break
The KSC75 and it's cousins are still the kings of "cheap but good."

Jan 19, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #1,424 of 1,439
Thanks to you all I today received my 75s. While they are incredible for $15, they're still good but less of a great buy at $32 (priced in Netherlands). They sound a little different from what I thought they'd sound like, but still very very nice. They have more bass than I thought, not sure why people call them bass light lol

One question though: how do I remove the clips? I have a cheap hand band I'd like to try but don't want to break my all new Koss

Jan 19, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #1,425 of 1,439
Thanks to you all I today received my 75s. While they are incredible for $15, they're still good but less of a great buy at $32 (priced in Netherlands). They sound a little different from what I thought they'd sound like, but still very very nice. They have more bass than I thought, not sure why people call them bass light lol

One question though: how do I remove the clips? I have a cheap hand band I'd like to try but don't want to break my all new Koss
The sub-bass is the greater problem. You can experiment with bending the rubbery parts of the hook to bring the driver closer or further away from your ears if you want to adjust the bass mildly without EQ.

Removing the clips is simple. I like to put the driver facing down and, with one hand, use the index and middle fingers to hold the perimeter of the housing down (not near the center or else you may hear crinkling). On the other hand, use leverage, lift the hook, and push up and sideways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back