Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #1,351 of 1,439
I’ve been thinking about a solution to this myself as my SportaPro drivers are getting loose. I may try rebuilding the little nubs with some epoxy and letting it set a good long time before trying to refit them to the band to make sure it’s totally dry. Has anyone else tried something like this?

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,352 of 1,439
I would advise on detaching the drivers horizontally from the mount, instead of snapping them off willy-nilly to preserve the attachments on the headbands.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #1,353 of 1,439
Looking for a PortaPro headband cushion suggestion. I just acquired a set with the boom mic and added a usb adapter so now I can have a high fidelity business communication headset for work. I can listen to long boring meetings and have good quality music playback at the same time. Blows any business headset out of the water and there are no gaming headsets that are this light and comfy.

My general approach to the PortaPro headband is to get it adjusted (about a 1" gap between the sliders) and use black electrical tape to freeze it at that size. I also wrap tape around the plastic buttons. This eliminates any head scratching or hair pulling (not that there is much to pull...). Add a set of Yaxi pads (PURPLE!) and life is perfect...or is it?

I have never worn this headset for the type of extended wear that it is now getting and I am looking for more comfort. Has there been a documented solution that emulates something like the 4part "bumps" of a Sennheiser HD-600 or something similar? This would take these to next level. I even thought about adapting a set of the Koss temple pads but they are too stiff for the application.
Cursory google search leads to many unproductive threads. Rather than chasing rabbits I figured I should ask here, "the Source". :dt880smile:

3/8" foam weatherstripping is perfect width for the headband. Not sure how long this will hold up on mine but a whole 10' roll is $3:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-10-ft-x-3-8-in-Black-Rubber-Foam-Window-Weatherstrip/3047963

I cut a couple of small pieces to put on mine, and it helps. Until I can think of something better:
Porta Pro Mod.jpg

Jan 19, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #1,354 of 1,439
Picked up another pair of KSC-75 that I'm gonna put an az09 pro on and use as my portable set. I know I could just use them on the same pair but I need back ups; I catastropically destroy or break my Koss's every year or two.
Are there any other earpads worth trying out or should I just get Yaxi again like usual? I like them, just curious since I already have 3 pairs of the same ones.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,355 of 1,439
Picked up another pair of KSC-75 that I'm gonna put an az09 pro on and use as my portable set. I know I could just use them on the same pair but I need back ups; I catastropically destroy or break my Koss's every year or two.
Are there any other earpads worth trying out or should I just get Yaxi again like usual? I like them, just curious since I already have 3 pairs of the same ones.
I heard the Grado S memory foam pads sound super amazing on Koss. And, better than Yaxi.

BTW, What's an AZ09Pro? Is that a dongle?

Feb 18, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #1,356 of 1,439
Its a pain to do, but I found a solution worth sharing for anyone else with issues with Koss's clip mechanisms and long term durability:
I warranty returned all my KSC75's and got a bunch of new ones in the mail the other day. I removed the ear hooks from the first pair, as carefully as possible the way Mad Lust Envy described and still managed to mar up the clips really badly. Just from taking the hooks off once they were too damaged to fit on the hooks it came with or any of my headbands.
Messing up a brand new pair inspired me to find a solution, both for preserving in-tact sets of Koss'es and to make some damaged pairs fully functional again:

- When removing clips or headbands use the method Mad Lust Envy describes, but first apply heat with a heat gun or hair dryer for 10-30 seconds to soften the plastics:
I would advise on detaching the drivers horizontally from the mount, instead of snapping them off willy-nilly to preserve the attachments on the headbands.

- When attaching the housings back to your headband or ear clips of choice, heat the two posts that retain the KSC75 housing's clip with a heat gun or hair dryer for 10-30 seconds until flexible. Pinch them against each other with a pair of flat pliers. You want them to have space between each other, but not enough to allow the KSC75 housing to fit. Heat the posts again until flexible. Push KSC75 housing clips into the posts. They may visibly bend a bit and pop into place. Do not wear or disturb until it returns to room temperature.

WARNING: You will have to use heat to safely remove them once attached this way. Good idea to take your earpads off first. It feels like there's no way to take the cans off without breaking them once you do this (unless you soften the plastics, of course)
I would also be careful about the amount of time you expose your KSC75 to heat and try to not hit them directly when possible at all times. It might be fine but I don't want to sacrifice a pair to test the adhesives.

I tried it out with 2 broken pairs (KSC75, Porta Pro) on every common headband except the other not-parts express cheap headband people have, and retrospekt because I don't have those. This fix seems to attach the driver better than normal without introducing any noises into the mechanism or limiting the mobility of the clip mechanism. I would imagine for sets with absolutely no clip left, just epoxying a blob onto it, filing it down to size, and then using this method would work as long as you get the "blob" the right size. Attaching this way would be a lot more tolerant to the dimensions being off, on a repaired pair.

tl;dr Heat gun solves the Koss clip woes, but once you use it, you have to always use it. It alters your headbands. This may also be a fix for anyone who does not like how easily the driver housings can fall off of some headbands.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #1,357 of 1,439
modded one of my warranty return kosses
2 pin with adapter is the way to go with these tws adapters. convenient charging without wearing down the mmcx connector.
as lame as it is that the creator charges for the files, these mmcx housings worked a lot better for tws than the free files i used last time. lets me place the tws adapter in a way which does not restrict movement of the earcups (if you flip them upside down, not pictured)

Attachments

• ksc751.jpg
    ksc751.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ksc752.jpg
    ksc752.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,359 of 1,439
Has anyone tried cutting a small center hole (quarter-dime mod) on the Yaxi pads with these phones?
Sounds like a waste of time unless you wants small bits of foam to fall into your ears.

Just ask Yaxi to make a donut version of the Koss earpads. Make a HeadFi/etc post asking others to contact them too if you think it's important to Koss fans.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #1,360 of 1,439
Has anyone tried cutting a small center hole (quarter-dime mod) on the Yaxi pads with these phones?
I have...

I posted about it too, but not sure if that was in this thread or elsewhere.

And today I happened to have a little KSC75, KPH40 and Porta Pro mad science 3 hour bonanza.

To me the KSC75 sounds best with yaxi pads with a hole cut out. I have them connected to the Retrospekt/KPH40 headband. In fact this combination produces my favourite sound of all the Koss combinations I've tried. I wish the KSC75 wasn't so ugly looking but for sound this is the best I've heard from them)

Basically the hole allows the bass to come through and feel more punchy and dynamic. Meanwhile the thickness of the Yaxi pads creates a little extra distance between the ears and the driver which broadens the soundstage a little. The KSC75 crispy mids and sparkly treble remain.

I tried the Yaxi pads with and without the hole on the KPH40 and Porta Pro drivers. In those cases the sound was best with Yaxi pads without holes cut out. Those drivers already lean warm and bassy, so the hole is not necessary. The stock Yaxis make the sound more neutral to my ears.

They sounded great but the KSC75/Retrospekt band/Yaxi with holes combo takes gold.

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #1,361 of 1,439
I have...

I posted about it too, but not sure if that was in this thread or elsewhere.

And today I happened to have a little KSC75, KPH40 and Porta Pro mad science 3 hour bonanza.

To me the KSC75 sounds best with yaxi pads with a hole cut out. I have them connected to the Retrospekt/KPH40 headband. In fact this combination produces my favourite sound of all the Koss combinations I've tried. I wish the KSC75 wasn't so ugly looking but for sound this is the best I've heard from them)

Basically the hole allows the bass to come through and feel more punchy and dynamic. Meanwhile the thickness of the Yaxi pads creates a little extra distance between the ears and the driver which broadens the soundstage a little. The KSC75 crispy mids and sparkly treble remain.

I tried the Yaxi pads with and without the hole on the KPH40 and Porta Pro drivers. In those cases the sound was best with Yaxi pads without holes cut out. Those drivers already lean warm and bassy, so the hole is not necessary. The stock Yaxis make the sound more neutral to my ears.

They sounded great but the KSC75/Retrospekt band/Yaxi with holes combo takes gold.
What size hole did you utilize? A dime size?

Mar 8, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,362 of 1,439
What size hole did you utilize? A dime size?
2.2 cm diameter

And no self-respecting Brit alive in the 80s could let being asked about a "dime size" and not reference this historic ad

(Sorry, I don't know what size a US Dime is - again being all British and apologising unnecessarily, we can't help it)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,363 of 1,439
2.2 cm diameter

And no self-respecting Brit alive in the 80s could let being asked about a "dime size" and not reference this historic ad

(Sorry, I don't know what size a US Dime is - again being all British and apologising unnecessarily, we can't help it)

Tried the pads with the hole cut and I really like it!!! Used a penny. Thanks!!!

Mar 21, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #1,364 of 1,439
I picked it up after a long time, and everytime I get surprised. The lack of bass will translate in a very different experience depending the music. With orchestral or soundtracks, it can compite with 100-200 dollar headphones. Tuning is just cheff kiss and the soundstage, for a piece of crap that costs 20 dollar, one of the most ludicrous achievements in the industry. Like What, this thing that can get confused with an extravagant ear ring, in that respect, can look with pride to stuff like the DT990, K701, AD700x... Silly.

Mar 29, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #1,365 of 1,439
Can anyone suggest a good over-the-ear open back that has the tuning and technicality of the KSC75? I love the open and airy nature of them but prolonged use makes the back of my ears sore even after adjusting the clips. I've also tried the metal headband mod but discomfort still arises.

I use these for music and gaming and the soundstage and imaging is unparalleled. Here is the gear I have or experienced with but didn't fit my needs. Sundara, K701, HD560S, DT900 Prox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back