Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Mar 19, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #1,066 of 1,437
Thanks for the appreciation of my works.:ksc75smile:

Just uploaded another KSC75 mod design.

This one is a drop-in mod featuring tilted driver design. You don't have to cut or break anything of your KSC75. But you'll need a bigger 3D printer and it cost some filament.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3502396
The clamping force of the printed headband is murderous. You got to pre-bend it with some hot water before use.

The sound, I am feeling ok for now. And it seems to have some reverberation in the mids or upper-mids that I pretty enjoy.

Wow. That's awesome. Great video. You got skittles!

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #1,067 of 1,437
Thanks guys!
I was trying my KSC75 headphone mod for a week and it still clamps like hell.(Got headache after 30min of listening)
So I made a adjustable headband design with thinner arms and it fits much better. Please check out my update:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3502396

33592124898_bebe94e293_z.jpg

33592124468_283226e478_z.jpg

Aaaaand....These are optional.
32528298417_8d3299b14c_z.jpg

33593468728_334bc0a4ba_z.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #1,068 of 1,437
As promised, here are pictures of my portable setup.

ALO Audio - The National Solid State Amplification
Apple - iPod Classic 7th Generation
Audio - The Cricket Line Out Dock
SwitchEasy - Capsule Classic
Massdrop x Koss - KSC75X On-Ear Headphones
Parts Express - Mini Stereo Lightweight Headphones

B043867F-7566-41C2-9275-4CFA1CACCA8E.jpeg
4957A1B0-93CA-4EC3-A77B-D3894C540FE5.jpeg
5DA4EB5B-3AFC-47D0-8D12-BC9860F8EC97.jpeg
B59AE5EE-E403-443B-9CCB-A2D709917482.jpeg

Apr 22, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #1,069 of 1,437
May 18, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #1,071 of 1,437
I've seen reports on Moon Audio's recabling of the Koss headphones (to Dragon cables). Does anyone know if they can mod it to mmcx/2pin connectors?

May 19, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #1,072 of 1,437
I've seen reports on Moon Audio's recabling of the Koss headphones (to Dragon cables). Does anyone know if they can mod it to mmcx/2pin connectors?
I've been doing them myself for a while, was even in the works of making my own 3D printed adapter until @kakaworu released his own and it is great (all of his stuff is!). I would say it's pretty simple to do, but if you're looking for a service than you can dm me about it if you like.

May 19, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #1,073 of 1,437
There doesn't seem to be an upgrade from the Koss KSC75, except to buy another KSC75 when it breaks. The KSC75x cable is longer but it's also scary thin and prone to tangle. No sound quality differences though, except maybe requiring a little burn-in? The treble of the KSC75x when listening to them straight out of the box was sharp and grating compared to the original KSC75. The microphone is also bad according to my dentist who said my voice was jumping in and out. Unplugged the earphone and just used my phone's microphone which solved it.

Anyways I bought audio technica EW9's off another user thinking they would be an upgrade. Nope. The EW9's absolutely sucked and the sound reminded me of a 2009 earbud you'd pick up next to the shelf of a cash register.

Thanks to my comfy staples hyken chair, I can't use full sized headphones as the housing would rub against the neck rest. So I'm stuck with using supra aural headphones most of the time. Along with the Audeze iSine 20 (which needs super heavy EQ, like 18 filters on Equalizer APO), and the Koss KSC-75.

The koss KSC-75 definitely lacks sub bass and it shows in an fps game called Squad. A tank's engine rumble can be heard around 300-400 meters away with other headphones, but the lack of sub-bass on the KSC-75 makes it harder to listen for an incoming tank. Target acquisition based off directional audio cues isn't an issue for any FPS game so there's that.

There's also a lot of bass distortion at higher volumes and this is where the koss shows its limitations. Sometimes it sounds like hair is against the diaphragms but it's hard to tell even after blowing into the vents.

For music? The lack of sub-bass isn't an issue, the mid bass balances out the spectrum and the koss is enjoyable to listen to no matter which song I throw at it.

May 19, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,074 of 1,437
There doesn't seem to be an upgrade from the Koss KSC75, except to buy another KSC75 when it breaks.

Totally agree. From my own listening and opinion, the DT1990 and ZMF Eikon are the only two Dynamic Driver headphones that one could upgrade to and really feel like an upgrade.

Edit: At least when it comes to sound, I have little experience with actual portable hp other than the KSC75.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,075 of 1,437
There doesn't seem to be an upgrade from the Koss KSC75, except to buy another KSC75 when it breaks. The KSC75x cable is longer but it's also scary thin and prone to tangle. No sound quality differences though, except maybe requiring a little burn-in? The treble of the KSC75x when listening to them straight out of the box was sharp and grating compared to the original KSC75. The microphone is also bad according to my dentist who said my voice was jumping in and out. Unplugged the earphone and just used my phone's microphone which solved it.

Anyways I bought audio technica EW9's off another user thinking they would be an upgrade. Nope. The EW9's absolutely sucked and the sound reminded me of a 2009 earbud you'd pick up next to the shelf of a cash register.

Thanks to my comfy staples hyken chair, I can't use full sized headphones as the housing would rub against the neck rest. So I'm stuck with using supra aural headphones most of the time. Along with the Audeze iSine 20 (which needs super heavy EQ, like 18 filters on Equalizer APO), and the Koss KSC-75.

The koss KSC-75 definitely lacks sub bass and it shows in an fps game called Squad. A tank's engine rumble can be heard around 300-400 meters away with other headphones, but the lack of sub-bass on the KSC-75 makes it harder to listen for an incoming tank. Target acquisition based off directional audio cues isn't an issue for any FPS game so there's that.

There's also a lot of bass distortion at higher volumes and this is where the koss shows its limitations. Sometimes it sounds like hair is against the diaphragms but it's hard to tell even after blowing into the vents.

For music? The lack of sub-bass isn't an issue, the mid bass balances out the spectrum and the koss is enjoyable to listen to no matter which song I throw at it.

Ever consider the Sportapro/KSC35/Portapros? More bass baby! Too much bass actually when strongly pressed against the ears, but they work really well when on clips or on the parts express headband.

May 19, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,076 of 1,437

Hate to tell you this as a Koss owner myself, but the Yuin G1A is indeed the better headphones. More balanced sound and less listening fatigue.

May 19, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,077 of 1,437
The Yuin G1a seems to be hard to find and costs $100 more if you can find them. They should be better. This may be a bit off topic but I found some headphones I really like - the MEE Wave. They are Bluetooth with a headband but remind me of the KSC75 in their overall sound. The earpads are synthetic leather over memory foam but they are covered with tiny holes, making them semi-open. They have more bass than the Koss and a little less treble but the mid are similar. They are extremely bassy out of the box but one little mod changes them. You have to cover the open hole on the back of each driver. At $30-40, I'm surprised more people don't try them.

May 20, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,078 of 1,437
Totally agree. From my own listening and opinion, the DT1990 and ZMF Eikon are the only two Dynamic Driver headphones that one could upgrade to and really feel like an upgrade.

Edit: At least when it comes to sound, I have little experience with actual portable hp other than the KSC75.

Agreed, but then those headphones have a headband. Trying to avoid headband headphone as much as I can haha.

Ever consider the Sportapro/KSC35/Portapros? More bass baby! Too much bass actually when strongly pressed against the ears, but they work really well when on clips or on the parts express headband.

I actually feel like the Koss KSC-75 has plenty of bass, not sub bass but enough of the sweet mid-bass for head banging. Also the KSC-75 has swiveling earcups, I think I'd take an extra bit of comfort over a little more bass.
Also there's this DSP called Out of Your Head, by Darin Fong. The Quad ESL Speakers setting basically increases the reverb of bass response and gives the KSC-75 an extra perceived sense of improved sub-bass quantity.

Hate to tell you this as a Koss owner myself, but the Yuin G1A is indeed the better headphones. More balanced sound and less listening fatigue.

The Yuin G1a seems to be hard to find and costs $100 more if you can find them. They should be better. This may be a bit off topic but I found some headphones I really like - the MEE Wave. They are Bluetooth with a headband but remind me of the KSC75 in their overall sound. The earpads are synthetic leather over memory foam but they are covered with tiny holes, making them semi-open. They have more bass than the Koss and a little less treble but the mid are similar. They are extremely bassy out of the box but one little mod changes them. You have to cover the open hole on the back of each driver. At $30-40, I'm surprised more people don't try them.

Also yeah, what aeromojito said, I wouldn't mind shelling $100 but Yuin fully discontinued the g1a without a successor. Koss seems to keep the KSC-75 and the next sale I'll definitely buy a batch of them. I think I've had 3 pairs of KSC's so far, 1 of the drivers failed after a year of usage.

May 20, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,079 of 1,437
Also the KSC-75 has swiveling earcups, I think I'd take an extra bit of comfort over a little more bass.

When you say "swiveling earcups", are you referring to the clips? The KSC35's are also on clips. Or you can put the sportapro or portapro drivers on the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back