Koss KSC75's. Dont Forget This Giant Killer in all the ''Hidden Gem'' Hype.
Jan 2, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #1,036 of 1,439
Definitely second for that stepped drill bit, it'll allow you to put a nice chamfer on the edge of the holes and keep the driver from striking any of the burrs. I remember when I first started getting into modifying the venerable KSC75's and I used a razor blade to deburr the edges! :dt880smile: We've come a longgggg way.

The PartsExpress headband is actually a cheap set of headphones. The drivers are so awful you have to wonder why they don't just the sell the headband. Of course the problem is that the shipping kills the value ratio somewhat. I ordered 5 pairs and a headphone extension cable and with shipping and tax it still wound up at an allocated cost per unit of $4.25 each. When I originally bought a couple of pairs a few years back through Amazon they were $1.99 each but not Prime eligable so I still wound up paying $4.50 each. They now have them as Prime but at $7.98 a set!

https://www.parts-express.com/parts...ightweight-headphones-with-4-ft-cord--240-015
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KQZJS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a number of pad replacement/additions out there, I was just looking at my Sennheiser SC60 headset and got curious. The results were a happy surprise.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/accessories-hzp-32

The drilling is not to the enclosure but the to plastic plate that covers the driver. This video on modding a set of SportaPros covers the basics. You will need a stepped drillbit to do it most efficiently but you could also use multiple bits of increasing size.

I will be curious to see what effect this combination of mods (drilling, headband, pads) has on my PortaPros. The driver is almost identical but I think a key difference is the driver enclosure. The KSC75 is rounded, the PortaPro is flat.

Jan 13, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #1,037 of 1,439
I’m ready.

05FB3BE8-8A93-40FE-BE52-5B9D64CC3CA2.jpeg

Jan 13, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #1,038 of 1,439
I ordered a pair of Yaxi Ear Pads for Porta Pro from Japan and they just arrived in the mail. Very impressed with the package. The quality and fit is very good on my beloved KSC35 Parts Express headband. Only tested a few songs but already these are a subtle comfort upgrade to already what is one of the most comfortable headphones. I can't comment on exact sonic differences as I can't really test back to back, but these are staying on for good. A great upgrade to one of my favorite headphones.

Can you share link to the pads please, thanks

Jan 14, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #1,040 of 1,439
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #1,041 of 1,439
Koss Porta Pro were my favorite go to portable headphone, but after getting the KSC75X I’m now a believer and the hype is not only real but certain. I recently got a minty ALO Audio The National amp paired with a minty iPod Classic (I know it’s old but it works for me), and using them with the ALO Audio The Low Rider Dock. The KSC75X makes this rig sing! The detail, separation, vocals, and bass when it’s called for is so sweet and special. I feel like I reached a high plateau, at such a low price. The Parts Express headband is a game changer. Not sure why I waited this long to try it out, but it was worth the wait. I’m going to get the original KSC75’s and try them with my main portable rig. Will take pictures of everything when I get a chance.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #1,042 of 1,439
Thanks, any noticeable change in sound quality?

I can't be certain of changes as I didn't have a means to test back to back. Here is a review of the pads on a Porta Pro:

https://theheadphonelist.com/yaxi-ear-pads-for-koss-porta-pro-review/

I'm using KSC35 drivers on a Parts Express headband so essentially the same drivers but likely different clamping pressure due to the headband...I feel I probably agree with the impressions in that review, though it is very likely placebo/expectation bias from merely reading the review before my pads arrived ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #1,043 of 1,439
Koss Porta Pro were my favorite go to portable headphone, but after getting the KSC75X I’m now a believer and the hype is not only real but certain. I recently got a minty ALO Audio The National amp paired with a minty iPod Classic (I know it’s old but it works for me), and using them with the ALO Audio The Low Rider Dock. The KSC75X makes this rig sing! The detail, separation, vocals, and bass when it’s called for is so sweet and special. I feel like I reached a high plateau, at such a low price. The Parts Express headband is a game changer. Not sure why I waited this long to try it out, but it was worth the wait. I’m going to get the original KSC75’s and try them with my main portable rig. Will take pictures of everything when I get a chance.

Look forward to the pics.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #1,045 of 1,439
@binaryhermit

So true, koss originally released the ksc75 in 2004. If I had that kind of well-balanced sound back then...

I've owned HD600s for a few years, which were one of my favorite open headphones. Yet, I still find the 75's to be a great example of a good open headphone.

Jan 18, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #1,046 of 1,439
Still loving these. My advice to noobies is buy these and run far, far away from here. Your wallet will thank you.

Wiser words have never been spoken.

Jan 22, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #1,047 of 1,439
I recently got these gem and they sound exceptional for a sub 20 bucks headphone. But that big sub bass roll off is kinda ruining the listening rejoicement for me on many tracks. Even with E10K's bass boost on, they lacks the mid bass punch not to mention the sub bass.

I'm aware people do numerous sorts of mods on them. I'm certainly not there and happy the way they deliver the sound for the most part. I just feel like it lacks the bass a little too much to properly appreciate these. Is there any (simple) mod that can liven up the low response a tad?

Jan 22, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #1,048 of 1,439
I recently got these gem and they sound exceptional for a sub 20 bucks headphone. But that big sub bass roll off is kinda ruining the listening rejoicement for me on many tracks. Even with E10K's bass boost on, they lacks the mid bass punch not to mention the sub bass.

I'm aware people do numerous sorts of mods on them. I'm certainly not there and happy the way they deliver the sound for the most part. I just feel like it lacks the bass a little too much to properly appreciate these. Is there any (simple) mod that can liven up the low response a tad?

The mod is to get some Sportapro's. I have both the ksc75 drivers on a parts express headband, and the sportapro drivers on a parts express headband. I mainly listen to the sportapros because I prefer the extra bass.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #1,049 of 1,439
The mod is to get some Sportapro's. I have both the ksc75 drivers on a parts express headband, and the sportapro drivers on a parts express headband. I mainly listen to the sportapros because I prefer the extra bass.

This is indeed the fix...I listened to KSC75 on a Parts Express headband for a couple years before switching to KSC35 drivers on the PE headband (should be the same as Sportapro)- the treble is not as prominent and there is more bass. It's a very nice and listenable sound sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back