KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Dec 13, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #3,631 of 4,052
I looked over at the Koss sight, and looked up the ESP-950's. There are out of stock. Were all of them used for the Massdrop ESP-9XX? Maybe Koss has a replacement for the aging ESP-950 headphones. I would love for them to add a few things like replaceable cables on the headsets, a bit more rugged build, easier pad installation to enable pad rolling, and last but not least more than one energizer/amp that would allow one to upgrade. Maybe even license outside designers to build amps and pads. One can only wish!
For me the pads were pretty easy to swap, but maybe they're different on the 950? Custom pads can be ordered pretty easily in many types of materials and colors. With an adapter cable one can use Stax amps with the Pro connector.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #3,632 of 4,052
I really like the Vesper pads with the 950’s myself as I have not tried others.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,633 of 4,052
I looked over at the Koss sight, and looked up the ESP-950's. There are out of stock. Were all of them used for the Massdrop ESP-9XX? Maybe Koss has a replacement for the aging ESP-950 headphones. I would love for them to add a few things like replaceable cables on the headsets, a bit more rugged build, easier pad installation to enable pad rolling, and last but not least more than one energizer/amp that would allow one to upgrade. Maybe even license outside designers to build amps and pads. One can only wish!

Sounds like you want a STAX. lol Stax meets all of your desires.

Dec 13, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #3,634 of 4,052
Yes a STAX or even the electrostatic Jade 2 by HiFIman would likely meet your needs.
In terms of the proprietary Koss ESP-950 and energizer/amp and cables limitation,
you can DIY or get someone to replace the cables with Stax cabling,
This will allow you to use pretty well ANY electrostatic amp out there.
(That's what I did)

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #3,635 of 4,052
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #3,637 of 4,052
Sorry if already asked, but was just wondering if I can add an amplifier in the chain before the energizer?
I'm running Audirvana on imac to Topping D50 DAC
I used to have the output from the DAC go to the energizer and listen that way
However, I have a Little Dot MKiii tube amp as well. Can I connect the dac to the little dot to the energizer?

Is there any advantage of adding a bit of the tube sound or is this degrading the SQ in some way?

Thanks for your responses for this newbie question!

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:40 PM Post #3,638 of 4,052
Sorry if already asked, but was just wondering if I can add an amplifier in the chain before the energizer?
I'm running Audirvana on imac to Topping D50 DAC
I used to have the output from the DAC go to the energizer and listen that way
However, I have a Little Dot MKiii tube amp as well. Can I connect the dac to the little dot to the energizer?

Is there any advantage of adding a bit of the tube sound or is this degrading the SQ in some way?

Thanks for your responses for this newbie question!
You can if you want to. I do something similar because I want a volume control knob that is easier to use. Enjoy!

Jan 4, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #3,640 of 4,052
ESP 95X owner with a question. My pair has a buzz in the left ear cup. Sounds like the noise that you get between AM radio stations. It has 50 hours of burn in and 20 hours of perfect head time.

It happens when ever the power is going to the headphones. It also does it on several different electrical circuits and with and without the rca line ins connected.

Ideas to trouble shoot it or back to Milwaukee?

Thanks

Jan 5, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #3,641 of 4,052
ESP 95X owner with a question. My pair has a buzz in the left ear cup. Sounds like the noise that you get between AM radio stations. It has 50 hours of burn in and 20 hours of perfect head time.

It happens when ever the power is going to the headphones. It also does it on several different electrical circuits and with and without the rca line ins connected.

Ideas to trouble shoot it or back to Milwaukee?

Thanks
If newly purchased....exchange. I have not experienced that issue at all. I have owned mine for months now.

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #3,642 of 4,052
So I got a ESP/95X a few months ago. I been enjoying it for sure. However, I have been struggling finding the best way to store them safely away from dust. But I think I finally found my perfect solution!

At first I considered getting the Stax cover but $20 for a plastic bag is kind of ridiculous. So I have been using a large cloth drawstring bag but it's been bumming me out not being able to see them, which my seem weird to some but it something that matters to me. So I started to look for a clear cover like a plexiglass box but those are kind of pricey.

So slightly inspired by Beauty and the Beast (LOL) I found a glass cloche dome that fits over my headphone stand for just over $32 shipped! I think it looks really nice and even kind of smacks of a museum and will definitely keep the dust off.
20200125_101144.jpg
Here is the link to where a bought it, if anyone else is interested. They have tons of different sizes (just search for "cloche") depending on if you use a stand or not. Also, the site is definitely legit and the dome came packed very, very well. https://vasemarket.com/15-x-10-inch-glass-dome-cloche-centerpiece

Jan 25, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #3,643 of 4,052
So I got a ESP/95X a few months ago. I been enjoying it for sure. However, I have been struggling finding the best way to store them safely away from dust. But I think I finally found my perfect solution!

At first I considered getting the Stax cover but $20 for a plastic bag is kind of ridiculous. So I have been using a large cloth drawstring bag but it's been bumming me out not being able to see them, which my seem weird to some but it something that matters to me. So I started to look for a clear cover like a plexiglass box but those are kind of pricey.

So slightly inspired by Beauty and the Beast (LOL) I found a glass cloche dome that fits over my headphone stand for just over $32 shipped! I think it looks really nice and even kind of smacks of a museum and will definitely keep the dust off.

Here is the link to where a bought it, if anyone else is interested. They have tons of different sizes (just search for "cloche") depending on if you use a stand or not. Also, the site is definitely legit and the dome came packed very, very well. https://vasemarket.com/15-x-10-inch-glass-dome-cloche-centerpiece

I'm storing mine in the Amazon bag I bought, but I love this solution as well. Might do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back