KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3,601 of 4,052
Turning the volume controls to maximum essentially takes them out of the circuit as there is a direct connection between the input and the output of the volume control. Of course, you do have to adjust the volume somewhere else, such as at the output of the source.

Nov 2, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #3,602 of 4,052
I control volume from analog preamp as well as digital attenuation from DAC + foobar

edit - This keeps 95X at similar volumes as amping dynamic headphones from regular headphone amps.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #3,603 of 4,052
With the lower price, I am tempted to buy 4 sets from Drop, 1 for each of my grandsons. Maybe I will buy one for me to have as an extra!

Nov 2, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #3,604 of 4,052
Heyy has anyone ordered the dekoni earpad for esp950/esp95x from drop??

So I got my Dekoni pads in yesterday. Which was a surprise, because the Drop page said they wouldn't ship till 11/22? My review will be a mixed bag - depending on your sensitivity to treble, you may or may not like them.

My previous setup - I was using cheap Chinese pads found on EBAY for around $12. I think they're great value, though at least one person on this thread has bashed them. I got a better seal with them than the velour, and more bass as a result. I'm also using a Stax SRM 717 which boosted bass a TON and treble to a lesser extent. I was hoping for a shade more treble and was debating using an equalizer of some sort to get my ideal tonal balance, since I was sooo close to perfect.

My initial feedback was all bad. One of my pads is defective. The flap which slots into the headphone is oddly shaped and sewed in wrinkled. It was hard to install and looks bad. I've contacted Dekoni to see about getting a replacement, not sure if I should go through them or Drop. I'll advise.

The good pad looks much better than the Chinese pleather pad, and seals better as well. It started out less comfortable, since though they're the exact same thickness, the Dekoni foam is denser. So I feel clamp force, where the cheap Pleather pads had none. We'll see if I get used to it.

The first 2 songs I listened too had me wanting to throw these in the garbage. The songs were treble heavy, and I caught some sibilance. After hours of listening, my ears got used to the treble, and I realized the sibilance is infrequent. I was debating if my setup is now slightly V-shaped but I've decided the tonal balance is now arguably close to dead neutral. Listening to Mumford and Sons' "Picture You" - I realize the bass is still strong and borderline more than I can enjoy. These might produce slightly less bass than the cheap pads, but it's a hair. Listening to Fleetwood Mac's "You Make Loving Fun" - the treble energy was borderline out of control with all of the cymbals and triangles? With the right song, the treble has JUST the right amount of sparkle. But on songs that expose sibilance, like anything by Loreena McKennitt - these pads might be a bit too much.

Hopefully I'll get a replacement for the defective pad, and as they get shipped back and forth - I'll go back to the cheap pads and report back on whether or not I prefer the more laidback tonal balance those offer. I'm kind of surprised at the change in sound, it's really required some brain burn-in to adjust over the last couple of hours. I've kicked down the volume 2 notches compared to what I used to have.

Of course, your mileage may vary with a different amp and energizer. I have a Sabaj D5 DAC/Amp feeding my Stax SRM 717.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #3,605 of 4,052
@PolloLoco Why not just buy the Vesper pads? You can get them made exactly how you want. They will ask you how thick you want them when you order. These pads are of high quality and can be made with different materials. Comfortable, stylish and wallet-friendly.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #3,606 of 4,052
@PolloLoco Why not just buy the Vesper pads? You can get them made exactly how you want. They will ask you how thick you want them when you order. These pads are of high quality and can be made with different materials. Comfortable, stylish and wallet-friendly.

Good question, I thought about that a lot. They're not quite as wallet friendly being $35 more expensive than the Dekoni pads. Also, the current stock appears to be sheepskin all around, with Alcantara touching your face.

I thought the Dekoni pads might be the right balance with the Fenestrated sheepskin. Its funny because with the pleather pads I wanted a bit more treble, but got a shade too much with the Dekoni pads.

I did some heavy pad rolling this weekend and decided I will never try the velour pads again. No bass, sound is too airy and sibilant. The original Koss vynil pads are slightly better, but still not enough bass. I think I'll juggle between the cheap Chinese pleather pads and the Dekoni.

Dekoni got back to me by the way, offering me a warranty replacement for the defective pad.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #3,607 of 4,052
Good question, I thought about that a lot. They're not quite as wallet friendly being $35 more expensive than the Dekoni pads. Also, the current stock appears to be sheepskin all around, with Alcantara touching your face.

I thought the Dekoni pads might be the right balance with the Fenestrated sheepskin. Its funny because with the pleather pads I wanted a bit more treble, but got a shade too much with the Dekoni pads.

I did some heavy pad rolling this weekend and decided I will never try the velour pads again. No bass, sound is too airy and sibilant. The original Koss vynil pads are slightly better, but still not enough bass. I think I'll juggle between the cheap Chinese pleather pads and the Dekoni.

Dekoni got back to me by the way, offering me a warranty replacement for the defective pad.

I meant ordering direct. Darin Fong charges too much for these pads. It is cheaper to buy directly from Vesper and they can make them using a range of materials. Darin Fong does not offer the angled pads (which I bought) and buying through him sees a mark up in price and a limited option of one or two pad styles.That is if he even has any in stock because they sell so fast. I have bought a few things from him and I never complained about paying a bit more for the convenience but in this case it is just easier to order direct.

When I placed my order with Vesper, I had my pads customized for me and I did pay a little extra but it still only came out to be less than $75 and mine are angled, all leather, perforated, memory foam, and custom thickness to my specification. The standard all leather pads are much cheaper. Darin charges something like $89 for a standard all leather set.

Options when I ordered mine direct from Vesper:

Leather - emerald ink, dark-grey, red, dark brown, orange, blue, dark blue, beige, purple, and perforated black
Alcantara black- 2 euro extra, grey, blue, beige, burgundy alcantara - no extra
Perforated black microsuede - no extra
Brown microsuede - no extra
You also can order other colors, but it will be ~16 euro extra and will take more time.
Memory foam is 2.5 euro extra
Angled type design is 7.8 euro extra
Additional cooling is 14 euro extra
Air priority tracked mail is 6.5 euro.

Lead time is currently around ~20 biz. days

As for the 20 day lead time, I think they say that just to be safe but mine shipped a week and a half after my order.

The bass became much better with my vespers, tighter too. The pads were the biggest improvement to these headphones IMO.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #3,608 of 4,052
I meant ordering direct. Darin Fong charges too much for these pads. It is cheaper to buy directly from Vesper and they can make them using a range of materials. Darin Fong does not offer the angled pads (which I bought) and buying through him sees a mark up in price and a limited option of one or two pad styles.That is if he even has any in stock because they sell so fast. I have bought a few things from him and I never complained about paying a bit more for the convenience but in this case it is just easier to order direct.

When I placed my order with Vesper, I had my pads customized for me and I did pay a little extra but it still only came out to be less than $75 and mine are angled, all leather, perforated, memory foam, and custom thickness to my specification. The standard all leather pads are much cheaper. Darin charges something like $89 for a standard all leather set.

Options when I ordered mine direct from Vesper:

Leather - emerald ink, dark-grey, red, dark brown, orange, blue, dark blue, beige, purple, and perforated black
Alcantara black- 2 euro extra, grey, blue, beige, burgundy alcantara - no extra
Perforated black microsuede - no extra
Brown microsuede - no extra
You also can order other colors, but it will be ~16 euro extra and will take more time.
Memory foam is 2.5 euro extra
Angled type design is 7.8 euro extra
Additional cooling is 14 euro extra
Air priority tracked mail is 6.5 euro.

Lead time is currently around ~20 biz. days

As for the 20 day lead time, I think they say that just to be safe but mine shipped a week and a half after my order.

The bass became much better with my vespers, tighter too. The pads were the biggest improvement to these headphones IMO.

That is excellent information I did not have. I thought I had to order from Darin Fong. When I clicked on the ESP950 link from the Vesper site I got redirected. Hopefully your info helps others.

How do the angled pads sound on the Esp950? I have them for Modhouse Argons and Sony MDR V6. While I love the comfort and soundstage, I thought I lost a fair amount of detail.

Nov 4, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #3,609 of 4,052
That is excellent information I did not have. I thought I had to order from Darin Fong. When I clicked on the ESP950 link from the Vesper site I got redirected. Hopefully your info helps others.

How do the angled pads sound on the Esp950? I have them for Modhouse Argons and Sony MDR V6. While I love the comfort and soundstage, I thought I lost a fair amount of detail.

They sound as good and better than they did. What I mean is there was no loss of detail or the house sound but because they seal so much better the sound was a big improvement and the bass is stronger and tighter. Honestly i could never go back to stock pads. The pads did not take anything away at all. Super comfy too. You can contact them to order pads directly @
info@vesperaudio.com

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:31 AM Post #3,610 of 4,052
Man, I have been listening to the ESP95x for the last two weeks straight. Tonight I decided to just chill to some music for the evening. I started with the Koss 95 and then in the middle of a song I switched to the L700mkII. Damn what a huge difference. I'm telling you guys, the ESP950 is nice but the L700mkII is leaps better. Emotionally better. I know this is the Koss thread but I can't help myself.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #3,611 of 4,052
L700mkII is leaps better. Emotionally better. I know this is the Koss thread but I can't help myself.

Technically better, but not emotionally better for me. Shrug. YMMV :wink: The L700 I felt was all technical ability, no soul. As a friend of mine said about audio experiences....God speaks to us all, but we all understand in different languages.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #3,612 of 4,052
Technically better, but not emotionally better for me. Shrug. YMMV :wink: The L700 I felt was all technical ability, no soul. As a friend of mine said about audio experiences....God speaks to us all, but we all understand in different languages.
Are you talking about the mkII? I can't comprehend how you could say that. The difference is so GREAT between the two. They are not even in the same league and this is coming from someone that uses the Koss daily and the L700 once in a while, mainly because of the Koss being the cheaper, I don't mind wearing it out, but it still sounds great mindset. Wow, no soul? Really? Wow.

Nov 5, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #3,613 of 4,052

My understanding between the L700 and the L700 mkii is simply a removable cable. But yeah, the L700 sounded good/great on a technical level but it didn't grab me emotionally. It happens. Don't worry, the guy I borrowed it from for a month would probably agree with you!

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #3,614 of 4,052
@stuck limo Well, I just don't know what to say to that. What amp did you use with the L700? And I noticed you do not have a proper electrostatic amp for the Koss other than the Koss amp. That alone shows me that you are missing out. The Koss amp though decent doesn't push those cans as they deserve. If you think the Koss is that good (shocking) you really need to buy a good amp for them. They really come alive. If you lived in So Cal I would love to let you hear the Koss on both a Stax and Mjolnir. Big improvement. Plus pads are super important too.

Nov 5, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #3,615 of 4,052
@stuck limo Well, I just don't know what to say to that. What amp did you use with the L700? And I noticed you do not have a proper electrostatic amp for the Koss other than the Koss amp. That alone shows me that you are missing out. The Koss amp though decent doesn't push those cans as they deserve. If you think the Koss is that good (shocking) you really need to buy a good amp for them. They really come alive. If you lived in So Cal I would love to let you hear the Koss on both a Stax and Mjolnir. Big improvement. Plus pads are super important too.

I believe you re: Koss / Headphone amp. The Koss amp will either be heavily modded by the same guy or I will replace it completely at some point. Unclear right now.

I heard it on this exact amp in this exact video (the second modded Stax):

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back