KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Oct 29, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #3,587 of 4,052
Got the bag and it seems to work perfectly: more pics here: https://imgur.com/a/AsfZMgy

b5LvdPr.jpg

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #3,588 of 4,052
I currently own a STAX SRM-T1 (which I have for sale elsewhere) and a Mjolnir Audio Octave III.

I use both amps with both my L700mkII and my ESP95 w/adapter.

What luck. I was actually considering the Octave iii until I stumbled on the SRM 717. They both act the same way in behaving as power amps.

I saw the T1 in your gear and figured that might explain why you dont like the ESP95X so much. It only has 300V swing, but I'm sure anything from Mjolnir has more than enough power to drive them.

I'll keep the L700 on my wish list.

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #3,589 of 4,052
I have not used the SRM 717 so I can't comment but the Octave III is damn good. So good that I plan to buy one of his other amps down the road. Not because I feel the Octave is missing anything but only because I can't fathom any amp being better so I guess I'll have to buy another one and hear for myself. I have my eyes on the KGSSHV. Maybe in a year, I will pick it up.

As for the ESP95X, I actually think it is quite good. Put it this way, when I first gave it a listen I was blown away and I have not listened to any of my other headphones since (other than the L700) The stock amp though just doesn't have the grunt to really push the Koss headphones enough for me. Using the T1 and more so the Octave, really showed me what the Koss could do. Then buying the L700's was my next move and the difference in SQ was just such a jump over the Koss that I was once again blown away.

The Koss gets used the most though (have them on right now) because I save the L700mkII for music only but most of my time is spent just messing around online and gaming when I can. When it's time to relax and play my favorite music though, only the L700 gets placed on my head.

Oct 30, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #3,591 of 4,052
So last night I got the hum! It didn't matter what power source I used, it was there. The whole week it was fine where it was using the outlet it was using. Then out of nowhere, it decided to happen. I moved across the room to another outlet (another Furman) and the issue went away for all power sources. So now I ordered yet ANOTHER Furman to plug into that side of the room. Previously, I was using an extremely cheap LG power strip in that particular area.

m'kay... I've a late generation SRM-313 (2 Pro level out), and I know why there is a ground wire connection on the back - I just haven't figured out what I wanted to connect it to. Output levels have always been enough, but where 9-10 o'clock on the E-90 is loud, around 1 is about the same on the Stax. Just a more, well, cohesive sound from using the SRM-313, BUT... I thought I was going to need a Wyrd; way in the back was a high pitched whine. Not there with the E-90, at all. Got a Furman, like it and all (15 ft cord? wow!), but still the whine. Definitely coming down the line from the PC usb to the Grace SDAC. Found (used to need for bluetooth/phone/usb power setup in last car) a ground loop interrupter, and stuck it in the way between the SDAC and the SRM313 - sweet silence!! Listening to a little of George Winston's Steinway now, as my reward. Nothing sounds added or missing. Gosh, I really do like a $10 solution...

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #3,593 of 4,052
Heyy has anyone ordered the dekoni earpad for esp950/esp95x from drop??

Aw, shucks - I missed them! How much did they ask for them? I've got original ESP-950, and an alcantara/red leather/'fast' foam Vesper pad set I use all the time presently. Very comfortable, but I'd like to hear something maybe in between their distance from my ears and that of the stock Koss pad. They'll be back, I'm hoping...

Oct 31, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #3,595 of 4,052
Aw, shucks - I missed them! How much did they ask for them? I've got original ESP-950, and an alcantara/red leather/'fast' foam Vesper pad set I use all the time presently. Very comfortable, but I'd like to hear something maybe in between their distance from my ears and that of the stock Koss pad. They'll be back, I'm hoping...

They were asking $65, supposedly only $5 discount from regular price, though I wasn't able to find them on the Dekoni website. I tried to have my wife order them for me, for the $20 first time buyers discount, but it wouldn't apply.

I love sheepskin earpads, but I just haven't tried fenestrated. I dont really like the velour pads the ESP95X came with, and while I bought the standard esp950 pads for $6 from Koss - I never bothered to put them on.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #3,597 of 4,052
New to electrostatic headphones. Just curious, can i do this: music source connect to headphone tube amp. Then have headphone tube amp output go into energizer input then have the headphone plugged into the energizer? If this is a bad idea, why? I heard the energizer for this unit is not as good as higher end electrostatic headphones, but cant I remedy this just by putting a headphone amp in front of the energizer to make the music sound even better? And what do ppl mean when they say the energizer is not as good? Not enough power to get the full sound potential out of the electrostatic headphones?

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #3,598 of 4,052
The Koss has its own solid state headphone amp, which is built into the plastic box. The problem is that, because they made it small, cheap and portable, it has low current capability, which limits its output capability and quality. If you turn up the volume you will hit current limiting. This cannot be improved by using another amp in front of it. The only way to improve the sound significantly is to use an amp which has higher current capacity such as a Stax amp or a third party amp.

Nov 1, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #3,599 of 4,052
New to electrostatic headphones. Just curious, can i do this: music source connect to headphone tube amp. Then have headphone tube amp output go into energizer input then have the headphone plugged into the energizer? If this is a bad idea, why? I heard the energizer for this unit is not as good as higher end electrostatic headphones, but cant I remedy this just by putting a headphone amp in front of the energizer to make the music sound even better? And what do ppl mean when they say the energizer is not as good? Not enough power to get the full sound potential out of the electrostatic headphones?
@SugizoYoshikiX you can't run an amplifier's high output into the energizer's low input. It would likely overload the energizer's circuitry and distort, or worse. If the headphone amp has line level preamp type outputs they could be hooked to the energizer. This might be beneficial if you want to add tube sound to the set up. But the energizer must stay in the system. It supplies 600 volts to make the headphones play. A normal amp doesn't do this.

The whole Koss package is now $400. The energizer was built to a low price point and to be light & portable. No surprise that $1000 + amps can out perform it. Don't let that stop you. This Koss package is easily good enough to compete with and even embarrass many more expensive headphones. Look at the listener ratings on Drop. Over 1000 sold and over a 4 rating. There aren't 1000 people using a different energizer with them. Like a hotrod car, there are always parts to make it faster.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #3,600 of 4,052
I'm running the energizer fully maxed out on the volume knobs (one is slightly less maxed out for channel matching) - what are the sonic detriments of doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back