KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Jun 8, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #1,366 of 4,052
I am getting that low level squeal in my left channel of my ESP's. Is there any fix I can do or do I have to send them in for repair?

I don't think I can survive 6-8 weeks without these things.

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #1,367 of 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSire View Post

What is the typical "new" price for a the ESP-950? Looking on Amazon, it is approx. $1000. That is quite a bit.

I remember these retailed for $2000 in 1992 :eek:

BTW does anyone else find the volume/balance control on the E/90 a real pain in the ass? I'd like to find the correct balance/volume setting and Krazy Glue the two halves together :mad:

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,369 of 4,052
BTW does anyone else find the volume/balance control on the E/90 a real pain in the ass? I'd like to find the correct balance/volume setting and Krazy Glue the two halves together
mad.gif

I was looking for an elegant solution to the same problem.  Last week, I just wrapped some tightly-stretched electrical tape around both knobs, thus locking them together.  Problem solved and it doesn't look half bad. Also provides a better grip.  Completely reversible.

Jun 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,371 of 4,052

I was looking for an elegant solution to the same problem.  Last week, I just wrapped some tightly-stretched electrical tape around both knobs, thus locking them together.  Problem solved and it doesn't look half bad. Also provides a better grip.  Completely reversible.

Now THAT is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thank you for posting that. What sort of psychopath thought that this was a good design?
blink.gif
 I mean, who need a balance control on a headphone amp??

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,372 of 4,052
I actually like dual volume controls, since they allow both vol and balance adjustments without adding parts to the signal path.  The concentric controls on the Koss do not seem to turn together very well, so I turn the one that moves first, then tweak the other one to achieve channel balance, e.g., to center the vocalist....   It's not ideal, but I can live with it.  

Jun 11, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #1,373 of 4,052
But again, why a balance control on a HP amp? It's like a train with a steering wheel...

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,376 of 4,052
Well I've only owned a pair of the ESP 950's for about 15 minutes, but I have to say I'm pretty impressed.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,377 of 4,052
  But again, why a balance control on a HP amp? It's like a train with a steering wheel...

No, it's really like having a balance control on an audio system, comprised of imperfect components, playing imperfect recordings, where small balance adjustments can lock in the soundstage/imaging to a surprising degree.  

Jun 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,378 of 4,052
  No, it's really like having a balance control on an audio system, comprised of imperfect components, playing imperfect recordings, where small balance adjustments can lock in the soundstage/imaging to a surprising degree.  

I think the issue is not whether to have a balance control or not. the issue is that it's nearly impossible to adjust the volume without affecting the balance. As you know, the channel balance is very important and it's changed every time you adjust the volume.

Look at Stax amps. They have balance control, but you have to make an effort to adjust it. 

For the Koss amp, I either tape the two knobs together or I also have a white line on both knobs so at least I can visually line up the white lines to know that I am at equal output levels.

Jun 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,379 of 4,052
I just hold both parts of the knob between my thumb and index finger and never really have a problem adjusting volume without throwing balance out of whack.  Grip a little tighter than you normally do.

Jun 13, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #1,380 of 4,052
  I just hold both parts of the knob between my thumb and index finger and never really have a problem adjusting volume without throwing balance out of whack.  Grip a little tighter than you normally do.

I bet that advice has even saved a marriage or two  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back