KOSS ESP-950 Thread
May 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,336 of 4,054
I was so close to buying a pair of 007 MK I or a 009. But then I started thinking about the amp and DAC. At that point I knew I would be into a room stereo investment. My biggest concern was wondering if I would really notice a huge difference, would they be better than my Audeze LCD2. Many things I read said electrostatics and Audezes are very close etc etc. (I think they are totally different) I was at a point where I didn't want to think about it anymore. Then I saw Jude's video on the buyers guide and he said the Koss was so amazing for the money. So I did it and he was so right.
I am happy to pay for prime sound, I have spent a fortune in my audio room, but it has to be well worth it for me. I need to really hear the difference and not just think I'm hearing a difference.
I would love to know what gear you finally decided on in the stax world. Knowing that you owned the Koss makes your opinion very valuable.

Several years ago, I went down the rabbit hole and purchased Stax SR-007A (MKII), SR-007 (MKI), SRM-007tA and SRM-717, seeking the ultimate in headphone sound.  Last year, I sold all of the Stax gear and am now living happily with my ESP-950, LCD-2, HD800 and PM-1.  I'm not saying that any of these headphones are better than the Stax, its just that when I listened to the Stax, I realized that, for the money invested, they did not bring me all that much more listening pleasure.  Everyone has to understand their own point of diminishing returns.  

May 29, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,337 of 4,054
After a number of years with my ESP and a few months with an HD650, I'm going back and forth between buying a Crack with Speedball for the Senns or upgrading my energizer from the stock Koss unit to a Stax model. What are some of the most popular Stax combinations for the 'ol ESP?

May 31, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #1,339 of 4,054
  I do love the ESP950's but I sadly let my most recent pair go - thankfully to a friend.  Part of the decision that did them in for me was that I became more and more entrenched into the Stax realm - at first I got owned pretty hard financially by making some bad calls but I must say but it eventually paid off, a few months later and right now I'm pretty satisfied with my Stax setup.

The lower end of Stax and the vintage stuff is really good gear when you are ready to take the next step!!  Just make sure to do your homework better than I did.

Can you please let me know what gear you are currently using in you Stax setup?

May 31, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,340 of 4,054
It has been nearly 100 hours that the Koss ESP-950 have been playing, and everything is working and sounding amazing. I have been listening to them every chance I could. They have this strange attraction I can't really describe. The second I take them off my headphone stand and place them on over my ears, I immediately hear the magic of these headphones. I may actually be hearing the "magic" of electrostatics, either way....I am in love with this sound.

May 31, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,342 of 4,054
  I liked the 252s and 323s, those are modern production amps and sound great with the esp950.  

Is there a significant notable signature change between either of those or between them and the Koss unit, or simply an upgrade in resolution, etc.?

May 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,343 of 4,054
From what I understand... the 252s and 323s share similar circuits however the 323s has the obviously better power supply and volume control.

Having owned both I can say that the two do share very similar sonics and as a spoiled audiophile I actually found the build quality of both amps to be a little less than I hoped.

May 31, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,344 of 4,054
Well, coming from the E90 it can't possibly be that bad in terms of build quality. As great as Koss has been over time at producing two or three great values at a time, they've never quite gotten a hang of the whole idea of material quality.

May 31, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,346 of 4,054

Is there a significant notable signature change between either of those or between them and the Koss unit, or simply an upgrade in resolution, etc.?

I had the 252 for a week or so for use with ESP-950's and then upgraded to the 323 amp ... I found the sound signature to be very similar if not almost indistinguishable between them when using the Koss cans ... (perhaps a bit more perceived power and "umph" via the 323 amp but they both sounded a bit more detailed, full and resolving when compared to the E90. I upgraded to the 323 amp on the chance moved towards more power hungry Stax cans somewhere down the line. 

That said ... and despite the incredibly light weight and cheap feel of th E90 amp ... I never found it to be objectionable at all and really only noticed it's inferior traits once moving to the more powerful Stax amps. The fact that Koss gives you the truly incredible headphones and a compact little amp to drive them with .... all at that price point ... is ridiculous. 

Just sold my 950's about a week ago and  already miss them. My 404LE's are doing stand in until I get buy another 950 kit ... had to get some quick money for a computer build I'm working on ...

I second the earlier comment about the "something something or other" that the Koss brings to the table. Once they are on your head ... it's hard to take them off. 

:wink:

May 31, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,347 of 4,054
Yeah, I've never hung around this thread much, but my ESP950 is my only purchase that I've never considered selling since starting this hobby. It's got all the best traits of an HD600 to my ears, without the drawbacks of being a dynamic. It's the perfect combination of warmth and the crispness of a 'stat.

May 31, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,348 of 4,054
I want a pair of these. Damnit! 

And on that note. Any of ya'll have imbalance issues/squeals or other problems needing 'repair,' which I assume means replacement?

May 31, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #1,349 of 4,054
  I want a pair of these. Damnit! 

And on that note. Any of ya'll have imbalance issues/squeals or other problems needing 'repair,' which I assume means replacement?

I occasionally heard the infamous squeal ... but it was extremely infrequent and brief. Did not affect my listening sessions at all. I never sent the cans back because of it, it was such a non issue (like my Grado GS1000's which would occasionally get a "rattle" from dust or something on the driver and which would correct itself moments later) ...

I did send my last pair back for a pretty noticeable/dramatic channel imbalance that occurred randomly and quite overnight, as it were. The L/R volume pot on my 323 amp allowed me to fix it but it always bugged me so sent it back to Koss and they fixed it up real quick.

May 31, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,350 of 4,054
I tried to gather data points from the 009 to see if the risk was worth it to me. So I may do the same with the 950. I am not exactly competent when it comes to understanding driver design, etc.
But I have to wonder if the imbalance issues is similar to the 009 -- in that, it'll 'eventually' go away. I've also been afraid of what seems like shoddy quality with the 950. It almost seems  as if many-a-pair fail and are simply sent back - discarded and replaced. Or maybe that is just what this lifetime-warranty does to color my perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back