KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Dec 27, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,276 of 4,054
  Is that a Stockholm or Havana dac? Any good with the stats? (or in general)..

It's a Stockholm ... the follow up to the Havana (which I also had). Shoot, before the Havana, I had a Paradisea+ and a Constantine before that.

Big fan of the MHDT Labs DACS and the R2R/NOS circuits in general as I prefer as non digital sounding digital as I can find.

It's as good with the Koss can as it is with any other ... true, it is a warmish sounding DAC but then again, the Koss (compared to say your typical modern Lambda) is a warmish headphone. I don't think the DAC is so influential as to be called "too warm" for the Koss. 

Similarly, the slightly cooler sound, occasionally "etched" sig of the Lambda SR-307 is still slightly cooler with other DACs/sources as it is with the Stockholm.

My main preference in using a NOS/R2R (sort of an old school tech) is that it presents digital music in a more smooth, musical fashion almost analogue sounding way ... but it's ultimately a matter of taste, really.

And yeah, I really like the Stockholm with the electrostats ... Stax and the Koss as well (though I think my ear leans towards preferring the more resolving Stax earphones, with any source, than the Koss) ... the Stockholm/Havana DACs are also really really good with Grados.

Dec 27, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #1,277 of 4,054
@ s1rrah,
       Glad to hear you now have a properly working Koss. I really appreciate your detailed evaluation between the E90 and 323 and the Stax headphone and Koss unit. Thanks also to purk for the 323 suggestion. There have been differing opinions in this thread regarding Stax amps with the 950s and your evaluation has me thinking a 323 upgrade is in my future. satwilson

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,278 of 4,054
  @ s1rrah,
       Glad to hear you now have a properly working Koss. I really appreciate your detailed evaluation between the E90 and 323 and the Stax headphone and Koss unit. Thanks also to purk for the 323 suggestion. There have been differing opinions in this thread regarding Stax amps with the 950s and your evaluation has me thinking a 323 upgrade is in my future. satwilson

I'm not sure if the price of a new SRM-323 would warrant the upgrade if your just going to use the Koss 950 headphones; I think if you plan on using higher end electrostatic headphones, then the price of a new 323S makes a bit more sense.  I enjoy the Koss 950 ear speakers but they certainly aren't the last word in transparency and detail. They have their finer points, though such as being more smooth and listenable on certain tracks where I find the SR-307's to be a bit "hard" or "cold" sounding ... and so,  I enjoy having them in my arsenal.

Cause I tried to say, the differences between the 323S and the E90, though there and apparent, are not super dramatic ... at least to me. Other folks I know have said the E90 was good only for throwing in the trash but I tend to disagree; I find it to be fairly decent, really and nothing one would want to write off...then again, I have only listened to the E90 with the upgraded AC adapter (whether that makes a difference or not, I do not know).

Oh yeah, regarding that note from the Koss repair department with a list of replaced items? A more technical user than myself says it looks like they replaced everything but the top headband ... energizer, the drivers, and everything. Pretty sweet deal.

Best...

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,279 of 4,054
Hooked them up again for a few hours... they sound good- still cant believe I paid 350 for the system.

Im thinking maybe treble is a bit rolled off, but that makes them easy on the ears.  

Recommended. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,280 of 4,054
  Hooked them up again for a few hours... they sound good- still cant believe I paid 350 for the system.

Im thinking maybe treble is a bit rolled off, but that makes them easy on the ears.  

Recommended. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I agree on the rolled off comment, but really only notice it when OCDing back and forth between my Lambdas; once involved in a listening session, I don't even notice. They definitely have a certain something that the Lambdas don't and I really dig it with certain stuff. 

Great price on that, too ... total steal.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,281 of 4,054
I'll be travel to LA in early April for 2 weeks, and I plan to pick up a Koss ESP950 during this trip,

I have seen $600 deal on Koss website during the Cyber Monday 2013 but my trip was not confirmed at that time. WIll the can be available in similar price right now?

I have find the following, not sure if this is legitimate or still available.
http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Koss-112128-ESP950-PROFESSIONAL-ELECTROSTATIC-OVER-EAR-HEADPHONE-SYSTEM-66811.html?a=HPSFRG

Appreciate if anyone can point me to the right shop or site, many thanks in advance.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #1,282 of 4,054
I'll be travel to LA in early April for 2 weeks, and I plan to pick up a Koss ESP950 during this trip,

I have seen $600 deal on Koss website during the Cyber Monday 2013 but my trip was not confirmed at that time. WIll the can be available in similar price right now?

http://www.headphones.com/Headphones/Koss-112128-ESP950-PROFESSIONAL-ELECTROSTATIC-OVER-EAR-HEADPHONE-SYSTEM-66811.html?a=HPSFRG

Appreciate if anyone can point me to the right shop or site, many thanks in advance.

Don't know too much about that ad/deal ... looks sketchy. 

Buit I do know that the Koss 950's are seriously good head phones. Super good. I go back and forth between Stax 404LE's and the Koss cans .. both have their merit. A tie, really. A great buy if you can get a kit that doesn't squeal or whine or otherwisee.. 

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #1,283 of 4,054
Don't know too much about that ad/deal ... looks sketchy. 

Buit I do know that the Koss 950's are seriously good head phones. Super good. I go back and forth between Stax 404LE's and the Koss cans .. both have their merit. A tie, really. A great buy if you can get a kit that doesn't squeal or whine or otherwisee.. 

I am reading this thread slowly, 6 down, 80 pages to go, lets hope I can pick up all the tricks about ESP950 before I pay for it.

Lets hope I find a good deal in this trip, and join the happy ESP950 family soon.

Feb 16, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #1,284 of 4,054

No idea about he vendor in question but they need to change their listing since the ESP-950's are open and not closed back.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,285 of 4,054
No idea about he vendor in question but they need to change their listing since the ESP-950's are open and not closed back.

That is part of the reason I feel hesitate with this seller as they doesn't seem to know what they are doing, or selling.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #1,286 of 4,054
That is part of the reason I feel hesitate with this seller as they doesn't seem to know what they are doing, or selling.

I did a search on Head-Fi and they appear to legit. There is a thread regarding this.  Also, you can PM  David on this site.  He appears to be connected to headphones.com.  

http://www.head-fi.org/u/56963/davidmahler

The price for the ESP-950's is good. You can see them occasionally on Amazon for the high $600's but usually in the $800-$1,000 range. I use mine on occasion and love them. They come with a decent case and can be powered using the battery pack.  I haven't tried this but you can search this thread and see the folks who have gone mobile. Enjoy! 
beyersmile.png

Feb 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #1,287 of 4,054
I did a search on Head-Fi and they appear to legit. There is a thread regarding this.  Also, you can PM  David on this site.  He appears to be connected to headphones.com.  

http://www.head-fi.org/u/56963/davidmahler

The price for the ESP-950's is good. You can see them occasionally on Amazon for the high $600's but usually in the $800-$1,000 range. I use mine on occasion and love them. They come with a decent case and can be powered using the battery pack.  I haven't tried this but you can search this thread and see the folks who have gone mobile. Enjoy! :beyersmile:

Thanks for the lead, I dropped David a PM, lets hope the discounted price is still valid and I get laid my hand to ESP950 as a result of that.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #1,288 of 4,054
Note that there is no way to add the Koss ESP-950s to your cart on the Headphones.com site.  It has been that way for at least a year, though it is possible that it comes and goes.  I called them about it over a year ago, and they confirmed that they did not stock/sell those cans at that time.  I would contact them as well as David and make sure they are actually selling the cans. 

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,289 of 4,054
Note that there is no way to add the Koss ESP-950s to your cart on the Headphones.com site.  It has been that way for at least a year, though it is possible that it comes and goes.  I called them about it over a year ago, and they confirmed that they did not stock/sell those cans at that time.  I would contact them as well as David and make sure they are actually selling the cans. 

I see, so I can consider that a dead end and stop dreaming about it. Sad by thanks. :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,290 of 4,054
New to The forum and have been enjoying reading the thread on the Koss ESP 950. I am on my second pair and I have to tell you, I absolutely LOVE these headphones.
For my ears there is no better sounding headphones. I have read all the improvements that can be made to the headphone, but my biggest improvement was connecting. a set of harmonic Tech truth link interconnects to the amp. I hear no treble roll off and the headset just sparkles. Everything just sound even, and the midrange is to die for. I would have never thought that the interconnecst would make that much difference. I see that many member are still looking for a set of these. I wish I could remember where I purchase mine, because I believe they still have some available at the price of $599. They were advertised as B stock, but when I got mine, they were like brand new. I bought this pair back in January I believe. I had never heard of this site before, but I called them on the phone to make sure the headphone were in stock. What was strange it was not even a hi-end site, but seem to sell a lot of electronic junk. Anyway I will do some research to find where I bought my 950 and post it here.

Ok I purchase these headphones here  http://www.fullcompass.com/product/285056.html. The site now says,"call for price". I'm on hold with them now.

Now they are selling for $899 :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back