KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #3,286 of 4,052
I think it's universally agreed the Vesper pads are better in comfort over stock pads. It comes to the sound change though where I'm in the minority that see it as worse than stock. Electrostatics to me represent ultimate clarity, speed, and detail in a headphone... you mess with any one of those aspects at all in any kind of percieved negative way and it's a nope for me. Any slight percieved downgrade is something I just can't do with Electrostats, even with the entry-level ESP950.

Nov 9, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #3,287 of 4,052
I think it's universally agreed the Vesper pads are better in comfort over stock pads. It comes to the sound change though where I'm in the minority that see it as worse than stock. Electrostatics to me represent ultimate clarity, speed, and detail in a headphone... you mess with any one of those aspects at all in any kind of percieved negative way and it's a nope for me. Any slight percieved downgrade is something I just can't do with Electrostats, even with the entry-level ESP950.
I can only speak for myself. I like the difference in sound that it gives me. I EQ my cans, and with the better seal of the Vespar, the lows just work for me. They don't really slam, but if I want slam I move to my planar anyway. Stats, planar and dynamic. All have their strengths and suit different music ... for my tastes.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #3,288 of 4,052
Just a crazy thought, but has anyone tried or has thought of trying Hifiman's HE-1000 earpads on the ESP950?

I think it might be a better pairing than Vesper Audio's earpads (with no disrespect) considering the shallower earpad depth and inner perforations that might give a more linear bass response in a comfortable package.

The earpad seems to have just about the same length as ESP950 earpads. It's listed as 133.15mm whereas the ESP950 is roughly 5.25 inches or 133.35. Might just have to stretch the bottom part of the HE-1000 pads so that's it's more rectangular shaped to fit.

I'm thinking I might just try out a pair unless if anyone has already tried it and not had good results.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if it has "lips" that can stretch over the exterior of the front baffle. I'll have to ask around the respective thread.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #3,289 of 4,052
So I tried pad rolling with the ESP950 with some old stretchable Beyerdynamic pads I had laying around, and the pairing is fairly good! These are not the modern pads where the there are holes underneath the earpads. There's a bit of memory in these pads whereas the foam is some fast recovery foam in the modern pads. it's about the same thickness as the stock pads.

Just a bit brighter overall with the Beyer pads. I couldn't tell the difference in the bass. It seems like the "size of the sound field" is reduced a bit. Not necessarily reduction in the width of the soundstage but maybe the "height" is reduced - due to slightly smaller opening with the Beyer pads. The treble does not overshoot 1 kHz which helps it not be overly sharp or bright (at least to me).

Koss ESP950, Beyerdynamic pads.png Koss ESP950, Stock vs Beyerdynamic pads, best side.png Koss ESP950, Stock vs Beyerdynamic pads, Left.png Koss ESP950, Stock vs Beyerdynamic pads, Right.png

Note: Right side didn't get a proper seal on stock measurements. Left side didn't get as good of a seal as the right with the Beyerdynamic pads. For best comparison, the upper right graph should be the one to reference.

These Beyer pads seal and hug around my ears a lot better. When I moved around or tilt my head, the stock pads easily break seal.

1 - CrBeBbO.jpg 2 - aiLVLKv.jpg 3 - UKkLsun.jpg 4 - 90XrLb4.jpg

Third picture shows comparison in pad opening - the stock pad has a bit more space for the ears. The bottom picture is meant to show how the Beyer earpad curves. The stock pad is pretty much flat across which hurts fitment and ergonomics IME.

In any case, I like the fitment and comfort lot more with the Beyer pads. These don't seem to trade off much in terms of sonic performance.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #3,290 of 4,052
So I tried pad rolling with the ESP950 with some old stretchable Beyerdynamic pads I had laying around, and the pairing is fairly good! These are not the modern pads where the there are holes underneath the earpads. There's a bit of memory in these pads whereas the foam is some fast recovery foam in the modern pads. it's about the same thickness as the stock pads.

Just a bit brighter overall with the Beyer pads. I couldn't tell the difference in the bass. It seems like the "size of the sound field" is reduced a bit. Not necessarily reduction in the width of the soundstage but maybe the "height" is reduced - due to slightly smaller opening with the Beyer pads. The treble does not overshoot 1 kHz which helps it not be overly sharp or bright (at least to me).

Note: Right side didn't get a proper seal on stock measurements. Left side didn't get as good of a seal as the right with the Beyerdynamic pads. For best comparison, the upper right graph should be the one to reference.

These Beyer pads seal and hug around my ears a lot better. When I moved around or tilt my head, the stock pads easily break seal.

Third picture shows comparison in pad opening - the stock pad has a bit more space for the ears. The bottom picture is meant to show how the Beyer earpad curves. The stock pad is pretty much flat across which hurts fitment and ergonomics IME.

In any case, I like the fitment and comfort lot more with the Beyer pads. These don't seem to trade off much in terms of sonic performance.

I wonder if Sony MDR-7506 pads would fit?

Nov 14, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,293 of 4,052
Nov 14, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #3,294 of 4,052
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #3,295 of 4,052
Yay!

Stax SRM-313, SN 3-29xx, 117v only, both sockets PRO ONLY; I suspect but don't know the topology is very 323-ish. Finally, Darin's ESP-950 to Stax Cable. I tried soldering one on my own - epic fail. Not this one, though! Compared to the E-90, there is definitely a more effortless sense to the sound with the Stax amp. Bass is better too, though with either amp I'm still happier with the Bass Exciter than without it. Example - What Do You Want From Me, The Division Bell (2014 HD Download 24-96 flac), Pink Floyd. Still so damn tight, harder now. Foobar for the win. Yeahhhh...

Anyway, I'll probably be waiting a loooong time before going all Stax, but I have an amp for it now at least. VRacer-111? Whanna loan me your SR-L300 Limited? I'll [probably] give 'em back - eventually...

Dec 9, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #3,297 of 4,052
Hey y'all! Just bought a KOSS ESP 950 from a fellow head-fier. Really digging the sound of these! I am intrigued by upgrading the amp. The set I bought included a modded extension cable to fit Pro Bias sockets. I have been looking at some Stax amps and was wondering if there were any particularly good pairings? SRM1/MK2 or T1? Any thoughts?

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #3,298 of 4,052
Hey y'all! Just bought a KOSS ESP 950 from a fellow head-fier. Really digging the sound of these! I am intrigued by upgrading the amp. The set I bought included a modded extension cable to fit Pro Bias sockets. I have been looking at some Stax amps and was wondering if there were any particularly good pairings? SRM1/MK2 or T1? Any thoughts?
The headset is excellent with a BHSE.

Dec 9, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #3,299 of 4,052

The headset is excellent with a BHSE.

If a BHSE is a bit out of your budget, a modified T1 is very good.

Dec 9, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,300 of 4,052
Yeah, can't afford a BHSE. The T1 would need to be modified to work with the ESP 950? And you'd recommend that over an SRM-1/MK2? Would that need to be modified as well?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back