KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #3,271 of 4,052
Hmmm...

A $500 (half price) well established (vintage?) open electrostatic, vs a $900 (also half price) newish closed 'V-Planar'. Seriously, this is a shame? I think it is generous of them to make these opportunities available.

When my finances recover, I'm personally looking for a return of the Focal Elex, knowing I'll then have to invest at least as much in a high-end amp to get them to their best. I can dream, right?

I managed somehow to choose between real and american football - and golf - on Sunday. What's the big deal? Go Tiger!

YMMV
It isn't a shame MD offered both headphones. That is good for us. It is a shame for MD the two campaigns ran into each other. It would have been much better for MD if they ran at slightly different times.

The football vs golf is different. They are owned by different organizations and will be forced to compete. Massdrop doesn't have to compete with themselves. Made by Massdrop campaigns are much more important to MD than one time flings. Doubt MD would grow much larger without their made by equipment. MD has a lot more trouble competing on non exclusive items. Their policies are far less favorable to consumers (no returns, long waits). This is part of the reason they have worked so hard to establish their made by brand.

I am looking forward to the Koss. Wish shipping time wasn't so long away. ☺

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #3,272 of 4,052
Still dont think it's much of a competition. Anyone who can't afford the CX can get the esp950, anyone who wants to step into the non-dynamic driver arena has a higher priced and well respected offer or a lower prices but laudable option. Theres really not that much sales cannibalism happening. Even if you can only afford one bought want both the ESP950 is likely to show up on the used market soon for the same price with the same eternal warranty.

Sep 26, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #3,273 of 4,052
Is there any easy way to see if I damaged my ESP950s? The left can lock sometimes disengages on its own and the thing has crashed roughly to the floor more than once as a result. Additionally, I've blown into these things to troubleshoot a phantom noise issue. As I understand it, the membrane housed within these things is incredibly fragile and I'm having doubts that they're perfectly functioning. They don't sound as nice as when I first got them, but that could be in my head or I could otherwise be used to them.

Would appreciate the insight.

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #3,274 of 4,052
Is there any easy way to see if I damaged my ESP950s? The left can lock sometimes disengages on its own and the thing has crashed roughly to the floor more than once as a result. Additionally, I've blown into these things to troubleshoot a phantom noise issue. As I understand it, the membrane housed within these things is incredibly fragile and I'm having doubts that they're perfectly functioning. They don't sound as nice as when I first got them, but that could be in my head or I could otherwise be used to them.

Would appreciate the insight.

Yes there is, all ESP950's have a lifetime, unlimited, no questions warranty. Send them in for repair as directed on the Koss website and you'll be fine

Oct 3, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #3,276 of 4,052
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #3,277 of 4,052
I'd like these headphones a lot if they didn't break every three months. I've owned them for a year and have contacted support four times and have had them replaced twice. They take weeks to be serviced and you have to pay for shipping. Although I paid full price (kicking myself) I would say they're not worth it if you got them for free.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #3,278 of 4,052
I'd like these headphones a lot if they didn't break every three months. I've owned them for a year and have contacted support four times and have had them replaced twice.

What are you doing to them? If you're careful, the ESP-950 is no more fragile than any other headphone. I've had my set several years and haven't broken them even once.

Now if you're flinging them across the room, dragging them behind your car, or scrubbing pots with them, then yes they do not hold up well and are very fragile. :wink:

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #3,279 of 4,052
What are you doing to them? If you're careful, the ESP-950 is no more fragile than any other headphone. I've had my set several years and haven't broken them even once.

Now if you're flinging them across the room, dragging them behind your car, or scrubbing pots with them, then yes they do not hold up well and are very fragile. :wink:

DS mentioned previously an apparent propensity to push the headband release button on the earcups while handling the headphones, dropping one or both earcups to the floor. I've done that more than once, but for me it results in, at most, a 3 foot drop to a carpeted floor. A hard floor, and a further drop? Could bang something loose. I am deliberate each time I handle them now, and have become very careful to avoid those buttons. Mayhaps DS is not so deliberate?

Anyway, they DO look a bit like big Brillo pads; someone should probably talk to Michael Koss about changing that. Darin??

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #3,280 of 4,052
DS mentioned previously an apparent propensity to push the headband release button on the earcups while handling the headphones, dropping one or both earcups to the floor.

If this is indeed the case, it's a him problem, not a Koss problem.

Oct 10, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #3,281 of 4,052
I wouldn't say I'm doing anything to them. They're either on my head or on a headphone stand. The release has gone off twice on the left cup, but my floor is similarly carpeted... The first replacement Koss sent me was requested the same day I received the original pair! I definitely don't think I'm responsible for that. A high pitch squealing in the right cup. The same issue I've been having ever since. Either both of my replacements are having coincidentally the same issue, or they are shipping me back the same pair of headphones with a band-aid fix. Either way: I paid full price for these things and I regret it immensely.

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #3,282 of 4,052
Happy new owner of the ESP950! This was one of my most wanted headphones when I started this hobby about 6 years ago.

Well, I EQ'd them a bit to my liking and the way they reproduce sound is something I've yet heard in anything yet.

If anyone here likes to EQ, here are my settings on Peace GUI/EqualizerAPO:
  • Pre-amp: -8.5 db (though could probably be fine with -5 db)
  • 15 Hz: +1 db, Q: 1, peak filter
  • 30 HZ: +3 db, low shelf filter
  • 50 Hz: +5 db, low shelf filter
  • 60 Hz: +3 db, Q: 3, peak filter
  • 1,300 Hz: -3 db, Q: 2.5, peak filter
  • 10,000 Hz: +3 db, Q: 4.32, peak filter
As with anything YMMV, but I'd like to hear your thoughts if you do try it!

Koss ESP950 2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #3,283 of 4,052
Happy new owner of the ESP950! This was one of my most wanted headphones when I started this hobby about 6 years ago.

Well, I EQ'd them a bit to my liking and the way they reproduce sound is something I've yet heard in anything yet.

If anyone here likes to EQ, here are my settings on Peace GUI/EqualizerAPO:
  • Pre-amp: -8.5 db (though could probably be fine with -5 db)
  • 15 Hz: +1 db, Q: 1, peak filter
  • 30 HZ: +3 db, low shelf filter
  • 50 Hz: +5 db, low shelf filter
  • 60 Hz: +3 db, Q: 3, peak filter
  • 1,300 Hz: -3 db, Q: 2.5, peak filter
  • 10,000 Hz: +3 db, Q: 4.32, peak filter
As with anything YMMV, but I'd like to hear your thoughts if you do try it!

Funny ... Just sitting here listening to mine as I read this. Wonderful ... but you really need to consider the Vespar pads. They REALLY work for me.

Nov 9, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #3,284 of 4,052
Funny ... Just sitting here listening to mine as I read this. Wonderful ... but you really need to consider the Vespar pads. They REALLY work for me.

I am interested in those pads but I've read mixed opinions on them. I haven't pulled the trigger due to that and the high asking price.

I am currently looking for someone who would lend me the pads to measure their frequency response. If you're ok, I'd like to ask if I could borrow yours to measure which the turnaround would be a day. I'm in the US (MN) though really just looking for someone in the US to save on shipping to and from.

Edit: If you're worried about credibility, check out my trader feedback here :wink:

I have mine measured (stock pads):

Koss ESP950.png Koss ESP950, good seal vs bad seal.png Koss ESP950 EQ vs no EQ.png

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #3,285 of 4,052
I am interested in those pads but I've read mixed opinions on them. I haven't pulled the trigger due to that and the high asking price.

I am currently looking for someone who would lend me the pads to measure their frequency response. If you're ok, I'd like to ask if I could borrow yours to measure which the turnaround would be a day. I'm in the US (MN) though really just looking for someone in the US to save on shipping to and from.

Edit: If you're worried about credibility, check out my trader feedback here :wink:

I have mine measured (stock pads):

I was hesitant as well, but so glad that I went for it. Even just the comfort factor is worth it. They just never felt right with the crap stock pads. Sorry ... I live in Spain :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back