KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Mar 8, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #2,581 of 4,064
Went back and checked my price. Knew it was less than $600...not much though. It was $594.99 direct from Amazon in late January.

On 28 January doctorjazz posted a notice of that 'flash sale' at Amazon [http://www.head-fi.org/t/581491/koss-esp-950-thread/2490#post_13215430]. Glad you took advantage of it!

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,582 of 4,064
Me too :)

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,584 of 4,064
Mar 9, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #2,585 of 4,064
Just impulse bought a pair of these online. Should get them by Monday. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #2,586 of 4,064
They are great and even greater with the Vesper pads. They definitely do sound unlike my two other dynamic phones, even if I love them all :D

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #2,587 of 4,064
They are great and even greater with the Vesper pads. They definitely do sound unlike my two other dynamic phones, even if I love them all :D

Haven't had time to put the pads on yet...looking forward to that this weekend!

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2,588 of 4,064
Anyone looking for a new ESP950 should keep an eye on Amazon Canada, they go for $599CAD new once or twice a year, which is just under $450USD (excluding duties&shipping). But last time this happened was in January, so you'll likely have to wait till next year.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #2,589 of 4,064
I think this has been mentioned previously in the thread, but for the benefit of any new folks, since I just got off the phone with Koss:

If you're wanting to buy an extra ESP-950 extension cable either to have as backup or for modding up a stax connector cable, they ARE available from Koss even though they are not shown on the website. You have to call or postal mail in order to buy one.

Stupidly bargain priced at $20 per cable including shipping (sales tax may apply depending on your state).

That's just crazy cheap for ANY maker's custom cable...

Gotta love Koss.

Mar 10, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #2,590 of 4,064
Good to know on the cable!

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,592 of 4,064
So... since this thread goes back in time about 47 years :wink: I was wondering what the current consensus is (if there is any) as to which Stax amps make the best upgrade over the E90. There are so many options.

Starting at the bottom of the range, we've got the SRM-252S, although historically there seems to be some disagreement as to whether this entry amp offers a considerable improvement over the E90.

Moving up a tad, there's the SRM-323S or 353X (I'm not sure what the difference is between the two).

There are good comments about the older SRM-1/MK2, although you need to be sure to get one of the models that has a pro bias port. Lots of positive mentions of this particular amp.

There's the SRM-T1 with vacuum tubes, although I've seen references to the fact that the appropriateness of this amp as an upgrade may be dependent upon the material you listen to (great for classical, jazz, acoustic; not so much for rock, metal, electronic).

Moving up in cost, you have the SRM-006 and SRM-007, although there are some reports that these aren't quite as good a match for the ESP-950 as the SRM-1/MK2.

I'm not sure where the SRM-727 falls in the range.

Are there any I've missed?

Most of what I listen to is hard rock and heavy metal, although I do also listen to pop and classical, although my tastes in the latter tend to the bombastic (Two Steps from Hell and the like).

Recommendations?

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #2,593 of 4,064
  So... since this thread goes back in time about 47 years :wink: I was wondering what the current consensus is (if there is any) as to which Stax amps make the best upgrade over the E90. There are so many options.

Starting at the bottom of the range, we've got the SRM-252S, although historically there seems to be some disagreement as to whether this entry amp offers a considerable improvement over the E90.

Moving up a tad, there's the SRM-323S or 353X (I'm not sure what the difference is between the two).

There are good comments about the older SRM-1/MK2, although you need to be sure to get one of the models that has a pro bias port. Lots of positive mentions of this particular amp.

There's the SRM-T1 with vacuum tubes, although I've seen references to the fact that the appropriateness of this amp as an upgrade may be dependent upon the material you listen to (great for classical, jazz, acoustic; not so much for rock, metal, electronic).

Moving up in cost, you have the SRM-006 and SRM-007, although there are some reports that these aren't quite as good a match for the ESP-950 as the SRM-1/MK2.

Most of what I listen to is hard rock and heavy metal, although I do also listen to pop and classical, although my tastes in the latter tend to the bombastic (Two Steps from Hell and the like).

Recommendations?

SRM252S wasn't very good when I had it. The 323S / 353X are identical, except one is balanced and the other isn't. The SRM1 mk2 is on a similar level but can be had for cheaper used sometimes. The next step up is the 717/727 I believe/ From what I understand, other Stax amps aren't worth it without modifications so I personally would not consider them,...
Top tiers multi grand amps include the KGSHV, Carbon, and others though admittedly that's way past my budget so I did not investigate those closer.
I'd go for either the 323 / 353, 727 or SRM1, whichever  my budget would allow.

Mar 12, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,594 of 4,064

Recommendations?
I can attest the SRM1/MKII is a definite upgrade from the E-90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back