KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,101 of 4,054

how did you attach the BW pads? They are quite a bit smaller than the ESP950 pads.

I cut to size, some double sided thin sticky  furniture foam. sealed the gap nicely. Easy to remove as well.My son got it from work. If anything,the bass seemed stronger/ deeper. Placebo effect?.

OK! Can you post a picture? I would love to have velour pads.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #2,102 of 4,054
Velour pads will, IME, dramatically impact the sound for the worse (sources: I've tried it). Leather would be a fine alternative though, I'd assume. Generally just switching a headphone from sealed to fabric pads will produce pretty dramatic sound changes, and I've never experienced it where it "helps" anything.

If the pads you have are incredibly stiff, I'd say try replacing them - the first pair that came actually ON my ESP/950 didn't last very long (maybe 8 months), so I ordered a replacement pair (they're $5/pr; I also got some random Koss swag in the box - no idea if this is normal or not) and the replacements are not only softer/more plaint but they have also lasted for a few years with no trouble.

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #2,103 of 4,054
Velour pads will, IME, dramatically impact the sound for the worse (sources: I've tried it). Leather would be a fine alternative though, I'd assume. Generally just switching a headphone from sealed to fabric pads will produce pretty dramatic sound changes, and I've never experienced it where it "helps" anything.

If the pads you have are incredibly stiff, I'd say try replacing them - the first pair that came actually ON my ESP/950 didn't last very long (maybe 8 months), so I ordered a replacement pair (they're $5/pr; I also got some random Koss swag in the box - no idea if this is normal or not) and the replacements are not only softer/more plaint but they have also lasted for a few years with no trouble.

Thanks. Replacement on order. That said, lambskin or velour is just so much software. Can anyone tried sewing velour on the existing pads?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #2,104 of 4,054
Leap Day fun!

Koss 30% off with code LEAP30

To take advantage of this offer visit http://www.koss.com and add qualifying Koss headphones and qualifying Koss accessories to your cart, proceed to checkout, enter promo code LEAP30 and submit your order. Previous purchases are not eligible for this offer. Free shipping offer only applies to orders being shipped to United States addresses using the USPS Priority shipping option. Discount and free shipping are added at checkout when the following promotional code is entered at time of checkout: LEAP30. Products excluded from this offer are: ESP950, Pro4S, BT540i, SP540, SP330, BTS1, and all Striva Products. Valid until February 29th 2016 11:59 PM CST in the United States and Canada KOSS, KOSS and Design, PORTA PRO, THE SOUND OF KOSS and HEARING IS BELIEVING are Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and are trademarks of Koss Corporation in other countries.

Still, 30% is good for pads!

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #2,105 of 4,054
I have had my ne now for over 20 years. I am replacing the ear pads but other than that they are great. I am toying with the idea of getting portable hi Rez player, maybe the Xdouu X3 and try DSD on them. Any way I have an SACD player that I use as well.

Mar 2, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #2,106 of 4,054
Question for the peanut gallery. A couple of the cables on my 950 are starting to unravel. Koss wants me to send in the whole unit, which will cost like $25 to ship :frowning2: I would think they only need the headphones (cable attached is unraveling) and the extension cable, which is also unraveling. Anyone have experience sending in just the parts that need repair and not the whole unit?

What constitutes the whole unit? Do I need to send the case too? I don't even have the original wall wart power adapter as I use a "medical grade" replacement.

Do I even need to worry about unraveling wires? They are all still isolated; it's just the 4 flat wire cables are coming apart between the isolated wires. 

Anyone else have unraveling wires?

Thanks,

Allan

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2,109 of 4,054
Question for the peanut gallery. A couple of the cables on my 950 are starting to unravel. Koss wants me to send in the whole unit, which will cost like $25 to ship :frowning2: I would think they only need the headphones (cable attached is unraveling) and the extension cable, which is also unraveling. Anyone have experience sending in just the parts that need repair and not the whole unit?

What constitutes the whole unit? Do I need to send the case too? I don't even have the original wall wart power adapter as I use a "medical grade" replacement.

Do I even need to worry about unraveling wires? They are all still isolated; it's just the 4 flat wire cables are coming apart between the isolated wires. 

Anyone else have unraveling wires?

Thanks,

Allan

As long as the insulation or strain relief aren't compromised there's probably no issue with functionality, but it looks ugly. If I remember right you can buy the extension cable direct if you call their 1-800, so I'd just go that route for the extension; for the rest I'd say see what the phone CSR says but I would not be surprised if you just sent them the headphones if they just fixed the headphones and that was that. If you send them everything (sans the medical grade PSU) I wouldn't be surprised if you get a new wallwart either. :rolleyes:

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,110 of 4,054
I picked up these "Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads" for about $5US. They fit perfectly in the 950. I use one in each pad and I feel the treble is attenuated just a tad, which makes for a smoother sound and a little more pronounced bass. Very similar in concept to Ether C tuning pads or Alpha Doggie Treats, but a different material.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261515186997

A $5 mod, easily reversible, mod that too easy to pass up.

Mar 31, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #2,111 of 4,054
I picked up these "Thin & Thick Inside Foam Disk Ear Pads" for about $5US. They fit perfectly in the 950. I use one in each pad and I feel the treble is attenuated just a tad, which makes for a smoother sound and a little more pronounced bass. Very similar in concept to Ether C tuning pads or Alpha Doggie Treats, but a different material.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261515186997

A $5 mod, easily reversible, mod that too easy to pass up.

Reminds me of the ESW-9 Germania mods from back in the day - interesting that it works here too. Nice ebay find btw. :)

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #2,115 of 4,054
The ESP-950's seem the way to go for the price.

I haven't seen the web price go below $780 in last few months. I saw some threads from a few years back mentioning a $600 price - I wonder
If price will reach that.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back