Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Jan 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #1,231 of 1,681
Here is a 1st Gen for 17 bucks, you wonder how the battery is. These batteries can't handle more than 100 charges a year?

Also to load it with songs your going to need an old copy of ITunes laying around like Itunes 7 not updated so that it can be recognized. You can undo a modern copy of iTunes, go in and remove every part of the program and load Itunes 7 in from an older copy? It's a little bit of a hassle.:D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Ipod-Shuffle-1st-Generation-White-512Mb-A1112-Works-/111577859907

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,232 of 1,681
I believe this little app allows you to drag and drop without iTunes. Mind you I have not used it nor have an old shuffle. Just a link I kept around in case I ever got one.

http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

Jan 25, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,233 of 1,681
I believe this little app allows you to drag and drop without iTunes. Mind you I have not used it nor have an old shuffle. Just a link I kept around in case I ever got one.

http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/

Amazing, obviously it would have to be the little Shuffle to be the only drag and drop IPod ever made (besides Rockbox) Bypassing ITunes all together.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #1,235 of 1,681
Jan 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #1,236 of 1,681
Yeah its the original 512MB but missing the cap. It works in iTunes the way I remember it. I even restored it because it was last synced to another Mac. It won't allow me to sync ALAC because it says it can't play them. I remember this too from before but just tried again after reading your post, going to convert to WAV and see if that will work.

update: it let me sync a WAV but not an aiff, how strange.

Jan 25, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #1,238 of 1,681
With bright IEMs like the super detailed $70 RE0 you got a good combo with 1st generation IPod Shuffles, and most don't even know how audiophile they sound. It is almost secret many don't know. One guy here has five.

RE0 with the Burr-Brown was a special combo. The warmth countered the coldness of the RE0s. Considering you can find a used Shuffle 500 mb or 1 GB for $40-$20 bucks and add somthing like a used pair of $50 RE0s you were in low cost heaven. Not a lot of songs with Apple lossless plus only an album with wave files.

I'm not sure ITunes supports them?

I haven't seen any old Shuffles here. My impression is that people got frustrated with them here, not being able to drag and drop files and seeing that other cheaper players had bigger capacities. There was a time when you saw piles of them at the pawn shops, begging to be sold. But that was a long time ago.

Jan 25, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,239 of 1,681
My Shuffle was bought for me as a temporary replacement for a broken iPod and $100 was horrible for the 512mb with no screen. I almost returned it. At the time I was still using cheaper earphones so I didn't notice anything special about its sound. I only gave it another listen a few years back when I read on here that it was supposed to have clean sound possibly due to its lack of screen. I should be getting hold of an old iPod Mini sometime soon too.

Hoping to win one of those CTC players to hear it's greatness. :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #1,240 of 1,681
Okay, back to the Kogan and family, here I have a report on files playable:

It plays .mp4 files encoded with Nero at constant rate and top quality (512 kps)
It also plays .aac files encoded with FAAC on Free AC, also at top quality and constant rate (which is surprising).
And even more surprising, IT PLAYS OGG FILES!!! At top quality encoded with Free AC.
It plays also Nero encoded files with the .m4a extension, with some hiccups and static when you navigate in the player and sometimes when starting to play a song. I did not perceive the same problems on the other formats I mentioned.
The player also included a .wma audio file encoded at 64kbps that for the life of me sounds amazing.
And of course, it plays the standards of the industry, like FLAC, WAV and mp3.

So, to sumarize, this thing plays MP4, M4A (with hiccups), AAC, OGG, WMA, FLAC, WAV, APE and MP3. Somebody mentioned that this player seems like a Swiss knife type of thing?

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #1,241 of 1,681
Of course, you are right. In any case I would get the Sony player, since it uses a AAA battery.

Ya, get it as you can get rechargeable AAA batteries.

Still I was wondering how to sinc the old players made for Windows 95?

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #1,242 of 1,681
Yeah its the original 512MB but missing the cap. It works in iTunes the way I remember it. I even restored it because it was last synced to another Mac. It won't allow me to sync ALAC because it says it can't play them. I remember this too from before but just tried again after reading your post, going to convert to WAV and see if that will work.

update: it let me sync a WAV but not an aiff, how strange.

Yes, so Apple makes new versions of ITunes and I do remember it being spotty if they would sinc-up? Apple even stated they were not going to support the 1st generation Shuffle with later issues of ITunes. I remember one later version not working then a more current one working?

Wave is great! I have to replace mine. I miss it.

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:18 AM Post #1,243 of 1,681

Shozy Alien Player:wink:
In many ways these are just like the Shuffle. No screen, same controls, simple.

CTC has em for $199.00

http://www.ctcaudio.com/collections/daps/products/shozy-alien-dap

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,244 of 1,681
Ya, get it as you can get rechargeable AAA batteries.

Still I was wondering how to sinc the old players made for Windows 95?

As far as I know, players like these work with Win98SE and then on. If someone is still using Win95 and tries to syn any of these players, I bet that person already has a driver around. Win95 and 98 treat USB in a different way.

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #1,245 of 1,681

By  the way. Here is my player, along its sibbling, the Oriver O8. The Kogan/Rytmix has some small hiccups with OGG, like cutting the last few seconds on a few songs. Otherwhise, it sounds great. The O8 sounds similar, as spacey and detailed, plays all formats and has a tochscreen, albeit not a very functional one. Also, the sound is veiled in comparison with the K/R. Anyway, they are the first players that make my SONY XBA-2 sound fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back