Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Jan 18, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #1,201 of 1,681
I just received the ONN q9 - Designed in Denmark, made in Gangpoo Province China. Whilst it's sound stage isn't as wide as the Kogan it's sound characteristics are pretty much the same, it plays FLAC 16/48, has 8gig on-board and accepted my 32gig MicroSD... If you switch it off physically you need to change the 'language' setting to 'English' each time, unless you can read Mandarin. Not sure about the battery life..
It powered my Sennheiser MX460's fine, and my AKG Q701's were OK, but the soundstage improved with the Fiio E12 acting as an amp..The Q9 features a user configurable EQ, whilst it has a reasonable 'bassy' sound, it's high-mids can get a bit trebly at higher volume, much like the Kogan. Cost me about $26AUS shipped from banggood.com, good as a crappy player to go jogging with or take to the beach..

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #1,204 of 1,681
Jan 19, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #1,206 of 1,681
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,207 of 1,681

The seller hasn't got any feedback scores yet. It might be too risky to buy from this seller.

Wait till CTC Audio has em. There is also the "Basic" in Indonesia. Just find a repeatable dealer with the Basic, have them mail it to you. The info is on this thread.:wink:

Jan 19, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,208 of 1,681
Just got mine, just go mine, just got mine, just got mine. I am charging it. Actually Jeremy sent me also a smaller Oriver player wich has a touch screen and is also being charged. And I am getting my Pistons next Thursday. Pictures coming soon. I have to stop jumping all over the office and actually do some work.
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #1,209 of 1,681
I have to say it. This player sounds good with mi Sony XBA-2, which are not the most fun cans in the world, and I know there are better ones. I am getting the Xiaomi Pistons soon. This player is the Ritmix branded one and has very good build quality. It is smaller and lighter than what I expected. Dire Strait's "Brothers in Arms" sounds very good, with a lot of space, more than my Papyre table running NEON or my Huawei phone running Poweramp. The bass is there, in the normal equalizer position. AND IT HAS A FADE IN/FADE OUT SETTING! It has some electronica tracks in the internal memory and they sound okay. It will not read directly my 32 GB card, maybe because it is divided in folders by Android because it was used in the tablet. But using file navigation it recognizes the files. And it has a video recorder and could also work as a webcam. The full Monty for a jorno like me. Of course, the whole point here is using it as a music device, but those are very good add-ons.

It will not read .cue files.

Now it is time to check with some music in the card. Lots of detail in Black Sabbath's "Eternal Idol". Not too much bass, but it could be more due to the production values of the 90's. Newsted's "Heavy Metal Music" sounds also bassless and Dark Tranquillity's "Fiction" is awful. Of course, the XBA-2 is bassless per se, and DT's production values suck, even if they are amazing musicians. To many layers constricted in a too small space. But Depeche Mode's "Delta Machine" sounds amazing. But there is a certain harshness. But the space is soooo wide. And the detail is killer. And there seem to be no gaps in playing. I say that it seems, because it is either in microseconds or it does not exist. Bare with me on this one. I'm overwhelmed with detail.

Back into metal. Elisyan's "Wires of Creation", which is amazingly produced, sounds also great. And these are mp3s and not FLACs.

Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" has a very good and DETAILED bass. I guess this player needs very well produced music, at least with this cans. I have to say that the XBA-2 are very detailed already, but they are not very lively.

Goind somewhere else, I have something called "Mozart in Egypt", from Virgin Classics. I can't provide the details now, but I love this album and I guess it sounds okay here. Its Mozart arrangements with a classical orchestra and Egyptian musicians with traditional instruments. Percussions sound very good. Also very good, my "Mambo Sangria" album with Cal Tjader. If there is anything to say about the current combo, is that the highs are a bit too much, but just a tiny, tiny bit, not something that would make me forget about the player. And maybe it's due to the recording limitations. And, no, it will not play anyhting above CD quality. But it's okay. I can always convert my 96k albums into something more usable.

Overall, I like it very much. Really, and for a 30 dollar player, this is amazing, to the point that, from memory, I enjoy it more than my Colorfly C3, which seemed to need a bit more bass, and my Clip+, which was just.... dead, I guess.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #1,210 of 1,681
By your review it sounds like the exact same sound signature as the Kogan. It is going to sound better with well produced modern electronica tracks. It can be enjoyable for metal but has a slight limitation in the low mid area, which metal seems to need to move it emotionally along?

These traits are going to be more or less a factor depending on choice of headphones. Still a mental burn in after a few days, or coming back to the player will result in a surprising attention to the detail that you did not know was there at early listening times.

They are smaller and lighter than the look in photos.lol

Enjoy.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,211 of 1,681
Yep Moose. It will not save badly produced music. And it has some tracks by a singer named Katie Melua and she sounds gorgeous. The only problem I see is that the EQ is worthless but with some bass enhanced cans that could be solved. I'll get my son to lend me the Sony XB-500 I gave him when I have the chance. And this thing is so amazingly light and small!!!! And the video and the camera are so good!!! I love it.

Jan 20, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #1,212 of 1,681
On a quick note. I think it plays AAC with the mp4 extention. By accident I got it to play the audio part from a movie in the card I used to test it. I'll experiment with Nero (m4a) and FAAC (mp4) to see if it can manage either of those.

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,213 of 1,681
Just in case you guys want to know, it plays Nero encoded files with the m4a extension. Has some static when consulting the folder list, like decoding Nero files somehow is more CPU intensive than FLAC or even mp3. And I just checked previous post and discovered that it wont add files in the card to the artist/album/etc. list. That is kind of a bummer, but I am used to that sort of navigation after having the Colorfly C3. A quick question: How do I get it to continue playing from one folder to the next? I am playing Celtic Frost now and I am jumping on my seat. Love, even with those limitations.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #1,214 of 1,681
Just in case you guys want to know, it plays Nero encoded files with the m4a extension. Has some static when consulting the folder list, like decoding Nero files somehow is more CPU intensive than FLAC or even mp3. And I just checked previous post and discovered that it wont add files in the card to the artist/album/etc. list. That is kind of a bummer, but I am used to that sort of navigation after having the Colorfly C3. A quick question: How do I get it to continue playing from one folder to the next? I am playing Celtic Frost now and I am jumping on my seat. Love, even with those limitations.

I found I could hook it up to my computer and have iTunes rip and save wave 16/44.1 files directly into the Kogan. Album titles and song names perfect. Wave sounds good too.

You just have to get about 7GBs of CDs and go to town. Mine will not play FLAC no matter what, so wave and Ape work.

Jan 23, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,215 of 1,681
I got a bunch of CDs I am going to enconde in FLAC just to play them in the Kogan. I just found a bunch of music which has been abandoned in my big box of stuff since I got my divorce. It is time to get all that to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back