Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Dec 24, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #1,171 of 1,681
Things are still in motion but at present we are torn as to the direction we should take.

Just to put it on the table, all variations have the same features give or take. The UI can be changed easily but at the end of the day, features remain the same.

We are still left with minimal eq options. To answer the above question no it can't properly handle a lot of 24/192 flac files.

Our intention was to create access, and not enter this project to import a bunch, inflate prices and make a bunch of money. But unlike Kogan, we also don't process a million in sales a day...lol. So the 24-29 price didn't seem super realistic to us before after all costs are added up.

But since we wanted to make this a community offering, we're going to now keep the price low within reason of course and maybe only for supporters of this thread/community.

So we need to decide what is more important. A nice fancy looking UI with the same features, or really work on this hard, spend some extra time and improve eq, tags, all that stuff.

We have even put money down to commission a dev for rockbox. Again not sure if it'll work out but we'll try anyway. Will have more info soon. Cause wouldn't that be legit!

So we need your help in deciding...

Happy holidays everyone!

CTC Audio
in St. Thomas :D

What you guys are doing is really cool. For anyone who has tried to get good sound out of the Low cost China DAPs, we know how much of a special thing the Kogan is. Having another company raise the bar is a gift.

It seems the audiophile community likes both features at times and a stripped down no nonsense piece of equipment. A look at stereo receivers, which the Kogan is a mini version of, shows some have lots of features and sound great, while others are popular and have an on switch and volume knob. I would say make it as simple as possible, your not going to make everyone happy in that regard.

Due to the UI, software-hardware simplicity Rockbox may find making another UI easy? It can't be easy to do what they did for the Apple beasts. Still Rockbox could be the ticket to a simple better sounding interface in the end? We all know that the main issue with these China DAPs is the UI/software.

It would be truly amazing if Rockbox could open up any latent volume or SQ still left untapped with-in the player. It seems though that by nature they will tend to make a whole bunch of audio features, as we saw mountains of options with the Rockbox IPod Classic. Their EQ was more adjustable and you had games ........actually more features that anyone can even take note of.lol

The player could be taken to another level by an aftermarket company also. Like Redwine Audio a group could create additions like audiophile parts. When you consider what the Kogan does with off the shelf-cheap as possible parts, it makes you wonder what a couple of different D/A chips or amps could do with the sound? This does tend to take away the value factor that the Kogan is known for. Still after loving the sound signature, it makes you wonder if some folks would pay more for a Super-Kogan?

Also any features added hopefully will not change the size/weight that is so special about the Kogan?

Dec 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,172 of 1,681
Things are still in motion but at present we are torn as to the direction we should take.

Just to put it on the table, all variations have the same features give or take. The UI can be changed easily but at the end of the day, features remain the same.

We are still left with minimal eq options. To answer the above question no it can't properly handle a lot of 24/192 flac files.

Our intention was to create access, and not enter this project to import a bunch, inflate prices and make a bunch of money. But unlike Kogan, we also don't process a million in sales a day...lol. So the 24-29 price didn't seem super realistic to us before after all costs are added up.

But since we wanted to make this a community offering, we're going to now keep the price low within reason of course and maybe only for supporters of this thread/community.

So we need to decide what is more important. A nice fancy looking UI with the same features, or really work on this hard, spend some extra time and improve eq, tags, all that stuff.

We have even put money down to commission a dev for rockbox. Again not sure if it'll work out but we'll try anyway. Will have more info soon. Cause wouldn't that be legit!

So we need your help in deciding...

Happy holidays everyone!

CTC Audio
in St. Thomas
biggrin.gif

Jeremy, you are just amazing pal. Really amazing. Merry Xmas.

Dec 26, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,173 of 1,681
CTC Audio
in St. Thomas
biggrin.gif

In St Thomas? Lucky guy! Another beautiful island that's right beside St Thomas is St John's... really gorgeous... 

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #1,174 of 1,681
Just received a Basic M-90 sample unit from the company. Different bezel and button material, felt even lighter. Buttons are similarly hard to press but the sensitivity is much better. Album art is working, the UI feels a little more polished and professional.

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #1,175 of 1,681
Will it be possible to flash the firmware once other rebranded Kogans are released such as rockbox or the CTC model's firmware? The original kogan firmware is very lackluster and doing anything such as making playlists on it is frustrating and tedious.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,176 of 1,681
  Just received a Basic M-90 sample unit from the company. Different bezel and button material, felt even lighter. Buttons are similarly hard to press but the sensitivity is much better. Album art is working, the UI feels a little more polished and professional.

Does the Oriver O5 (i guess its a sample model from Oriver, right?) have built-in memory like the D-JIX/Ritmix clones(4-8-16GB)?
Or does it come with only 18MB onboard memory (like Kogan)?

Thanks for your reply.

Dec 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,178 of 1,681
Today received Ritmix 8gb, when playing mp3 music files, it randomly jumps from one music file to another and back again. Is it a common issue, is there anything can be done?

Also just found, that it does not play my WMA audio files...

My MP3 bit rate: 160kbps and WMA is around 900 or 1000kbps.

Jan 1, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #1,179 of 1,681
  Today received Ritmix 8gb, when playing mp3 music files, it randomly jumps from one music file to another and back again. Is it a common issue, is there anything can be done?

Yes. Turn off shuffle mode.

Just joshin'. Seriously, I'm not sure what that's all about, as my Ritmixer doesn't exhibit that problem. Maybe try a different microsd card if you have one to rule that out?

Jan 1, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #1,181 of 1,681

Also just found, that it does not play my WMA audio files...

My MP3 bit rate: 160kbps and WMA is around 900 or 1000kbps.

It may be tag related, I recently purchased a player (a very nice sounding one actually) that exhibited problems with tags, freezing, playing up when changing tracks. Considering most of Kogan's music browsing is done by folder / file selection only I suggest you use a program called MP3tag and try removing all tags on the files used for your player. Tags cause nothing but problems for some players and folder browsing you don't need them. 

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,183 of 1,681
CTC said I get a free one for the use of one of my Kogan photos. That is so cool. I use my Kogan everyday. The thing goes in my pocket in a small cloth bag, so it's always with me. The size and weight just makes the thing a dream, along with sound signature. :D

Jan 1, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,184 of 1,681
CTC said I get a free one for the use of one of my Kogan photos. That is so cool. I use my Kogan everyday. The thing goes in my pocket in a small cloth bag, so it's always with me. The size and weight just makes the thing a dream, along with sound signature. :D

You deserve it. Not only do you love your kogan, but that photo is awesome!

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #1,185 of 1,681
CTC said I get a free one for the use of one of my Kogan photos. That is so cool. I use my Kogan everyday. The thing goes in my pocket in a small cloth bag, so it's always with me. The size and weight just makes the thing a dream, along with sound signature.
biggrin.gif

Jeremy is very nice. And you are an amazing photographer Moose. Really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back