Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,156 of 1,681
  Gapless is fun, album art is fun... I just want tags read by the player. Maybe I'm asking too much for $30 :-/

Hell, you can get $100 (C3) or $180 (ihifi 770) players that won't do either for you lol! (Doesn't stop me from loving either one though).

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,157 of 1,681
  Gapless is fun, album art is fun... I just want tags read by the player. Maybe I'm asking too much for $30 :-/

You think that would be an industry standard... 
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,158 of 1,681

Hell, you can get $100 (C3) or $180 (ihifi 770) players that won't do either for you lol! (Doesn't stop me from loving either one though).

I did love my C3... I sold mine to my brother. Probably buy another one in the future. The sound had a certain sparkle that I happen to miss. Sold it maybe 2 months before my Kogan arrived. Wish I'd had a chance to compare the two..... Time to hit the Source Gear For Sale page...

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #1,161 of 1,681
What happened to the CTC audio rebrand?
smile.gif
 The naming contest has been closed for entries. I guess there will be some voting before the final name is decided? How long before it hits the shelves(estimate)? @EmpJ 

Dec 23, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,162 of 1,681
  What happened to the CTC audio rebrand?
smile.gif
 The naming contest has been closed for entries. I guess there will be some voting before the final name is decided? How long before it hits the shelves(estimate)? @EmpJ 

You vote for the CTC "Bliss" mp3 player here:

http://www.ctcaudio.com/pages/name-it

very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #1,164 of 1,681
 I was going to try to think of a name but I put it off too long and Im not that creative. But wow some of those names... 
blink.gif

Nice that they are doing a giveaway to someone for voting too. These seem neat.

Dec 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #1,165 of 1,681
Things are still in motion but at present we are torn as to the direction we should take.

Just to put it on the table, all variations have the same features give or take. The UI can be changed easily but at the end of the day, features remain the same.

We are still left with minimal eq options. To answer the above question no it can't properly handle a lot of 24/192 flac files.

Our intention was to create access, and not enter this project to import a bunch, inflate prices and make a bunch of money. But unlike Kogan, we also don't process a million in sales a day...lol. So the 24-29 price didn't seem super realistic to us before after all costs are added up.

But since we wanted to make this a community offering, we're going to now keep the price low within reason of course and maybe only for supporters of this thread/community.

So we need to decide what is more important. A nice fancy looking UI with the same features, or really work on this hard, spend some extra time and improve eq, tags, all that stuff.

We have even put money down to commission a dev for rockbox. Again not sure if it'll work out but we'll try anyway. Will have more info soon. Cause wouldn't that be legit!

So we need your help in deciding...

Happy holidays everyone!

CTC Audio
in St. Thomas :D

Dec 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #1,167 of 1,681
Things are still in motion but at present we are torn as to the direction we should take.

Just to put it on the table, all variations have the same features give or take. The UI can be changed easily but at the end of the day, features remain the same.

We are still left with minimal eq options. To answer the above question no it can't properly handle a lot of 24/192 flac files.

Our intention was to create access, and not enter this project to import a bunch, inflate prices and make a bunch of money. But unlike Kogan, we also don't process a million in sales a day...lol. So the 24-29 price didn't seem super realistic to us before after all costs are added up.

But since we wanted to make this a community offering, we're going to now keep the price low within reason of course and maybe only for supporters of this thread/community.

So we need to decide what is more important. A nice fancy looking UI with the same features, or really work on this hard, spend some extra time and improve eq, tags, all that stuff.

We have even put money down to commission a dev for rockbox. Again not sure if it'll work out but we'll try anyway. Will have more info soon. Cause wouldn't that be legit!

So we need your help in deciding...

Happy holidays everyone!

CTC Audio
in St. Thomas
biggrin.gif

That is a great outlook and approach to the matter by CTC Audio. It is really appreciated.

Here is my input on the matter. Consider it as a vote.

If a device has any sort of inherent weakness, it must rely on the fact that it can outperform much more expensive devices when it comes to certain other features. The Shozy alien is forgiven despite it's extremely crippled functionality because it delivers and then some in the sound and size dept. A&K's price tag is forgiven because it is no slouch in the sound quality dept and is one of the best when it comes to the UI.
The Oriver has extreme value and sound quality as plus points. The UI may be where a compromise is made in order to preserve the aforementioned strengths. There are two ways to overcome/address this-

1. Keep the UI dead simple. Ala the default Sansa Clip UI. Cover the basics, but cover it well. While the bells and whistles can be less refined or non existent, it shouldn't stutter when it comes to the core functions i.e easily accessible library, playlist support, seamless play/pause/seek funtions, 5 band EQ.

2. Commission Rockbox. Rockbox is a voluntary effort and can take ages if the devs aren't motivated enough to bust their ass porting it over. Rockbox is what would set this player apart, because at that point there are no major compromises made at that price point, which happens rarely. Sansa clip : Case in point.
If this were possible, a higher price would still make it a great value proposition and could potentially make it 'The' budget player to have!

PS: What exactly do you mean by "no it can't properly handle a lot of 24/192 flac files". At what level does this problem manifest? Hi res support is considered a perk at ~30$ (if playback isn't downsampled.)

Happy holidays!

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #1,168 of 1,681
I'm fine with it being as simple as possible. More or less an alternative to the clip+. Go ahead and remove any extra hardware that adds unnecessary cost. Keep the UI simple, but intuitive. I don't need it to double features that my cellphone already does much better.

Getting it rockboxed sounds ideal, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting on that one.

It's pretty amazing what you guys are doing for the community. Just try not to overreach. Merry Christmas!

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #1,169 of 1,681
I feel the same! Strip down the hardware and have a simple UI for the sake of audio quality! I'm not even concerned about video...takes up valuable music space! Hi-res not a huge deal either. Keep price lower so it can be a family player like the clip+ is for my family...most of us have one. Merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back