Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Jan 29, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #1,246 of 1,681
Since these can play the higher bitrate AAC Im guessing they can play higher True VBR AAC files. I just found out about true VBR after encoding a bunch of stuff at 256 in iTunes so I went back and started redoing some with true VBR and its pretty cool seeing numbers higher than 320. I even threw some on my old shuffle thinking it would have a problem but they play just great so these other players should play them just fine I would imagine. Im sure its overkill but its my encoding choice for now. iTunes VBR seemed so silly once I learned about true VBR.

As much as I like playing with the shuffle from time to time, I would never own another player without a screen. Especially after owning a Clip+, it really makes it harder to understand why anyone would make something without a screen!

Oh yeah I also wanted to ask if any of these support gapless. The shuffle doesn't so it reminded me. I'm still always surprised when new players don't support gapless...
confused_face(1).gif
  (Okay I guess rockbox might solve the gapless issue like it did for the Clip)

Quote:
Shozy Alien Player:wink:
In many ways these are just like the Shuffle. No screen, same controls, simple.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #1,247 of 1,681
Since these can play the higher bitrate AAC Im guessing they can play higher True VBR AAC files. I just found out about true VBR after encoding a bunch of stuff at 256 in iTunes so I went back and started redoing some with true VBR and its pretty cool seeing numbers higher than 320. I even threw some on my old shuffle thinking it would have a problem but they play just great so these other players should play them just fine I would imagine. Im sure its overkill but its my encoding choice for now. iTunes VBR seemed so silly once I learned about true VBR.

As much as I like playing with the shuffle from time to time, I would never own another player without a screen. Especially after owning a Clip+, it really makes it harder to understand why anyone would make something without a screen!

Oh yeah I also wanted to ask if any of these support gapless. The shuffle doesn't so it reminded me. I'm still always surprised when new players don't support gapless...:confused_face(1):   (Okay I guess rockbox might solve the gapless issue like it did for the Clip)

The trend is kind of like when home audio started to make the move to separates in the 1970s. It is the belief that you can reach a more pure audio signal my removing internal extras that produce noise.

There is always more ways to skin a cat, still from a cost ratio they can also only put in expensive audio quality parts but keep the price down due to less frills.

Screens have been an issue with producing noise in preamps, for what it's worth?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #1,248 of 1,681
Just to let you know. I just got my Pistons, the real thing, and have them hooked to the Kogan/Ritmix. They make an amazing pair.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,250 of 1,681
  Just received a Basic M-90 sample unit from the company. Different bezel and button material, felt even lighter. Buttons are similarly hard to press but the sensitivity is much better. Album art is working, the UI feels a little more polished and professional.

Do they offer international shipping? How can I get it?

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #1,252 of 1,681

Basic is not yet offer international shipping. The company is still considering it. To obtain one, you can ask someone from Indonesia to send it to you. I might assist you once it is officially released, just PM me for details.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Indonesia. I'm considering to buy 6 pcs for my friends who loved it but it is too bad that the big companies still hesisate to sell them worldwide when there is so much demand on for such a cheap mp3 player. Thank you for your kindness btw. 

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #1,253 of 1,681

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in Indonesia. I'm considering to buy 6 pcs for my friends who loved it but it is too bad that the big companies still hesisate to sell them worldwide when there is so much demand on for such a cheap mp3 player. Thank you for your kindness btw. 

Ozkan, you can check with D-Jix. They used to sell their M550 model (same as Kogan I believe) through amazon(UK).
https://www.logicom-europe.com/image-son/103-lecteur-multimedia-m550-camera.html

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #1,254 of 1,681

I am in Indonesia, and I think I can help you obtaining the M-90, once it is officially released. Right now only review units and some advance order units are available (sans box). As I said earlier, just PM me for details

Depending on where you are located, there are also other O5 re-branded units, from Ritmix, oRiver etc., so you can compare prices

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,255 of 1,681
Feb 8, 2015 at 7:24 AM Post #1,258 of 1,681

Kogan $29
Mini to Mini $3
JDS Labs c421 $100
JBL M330 Wood IEMs $9

Total $141

Actually these IEMs work maybe better straight out of the Kogan. Volume 23 is ear splitting loud. They are perfect in they average the thin side of the Kogan to add the required bass. The bass is 3D and detailed not dark or overpowering in the least.

Anyone who can get a pair shipped from India for $9 should get them. Best headphones I have heard for the money. I'm listening to them now with other equipment to hear how they scale. Really though they are as good or better than the $70 RE0 and have perfect bass for the Kogan. The RE0s are a treble fest with the Kogan.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #1,259 of 1,681
Anyone who can get a pair shipped from India for $9 should get them. Best headphones I have heard for the money. I'm listening to them now with other equipment to hear how they scale. Really though they are as good or better than the $70 RE0 and have perfect bass for the Kogan. The RE0s are a treble fest with the Kogan.

Really?
confused.gif
  How does it compare to RE0 especially for the treble quality? Thank you.  An IEM with a bit more bass than RE0 would be perfect for me. 

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,260 of 1,681
Really? :confused:   How does it compare to RE0 especially for the treble quality? Thank you.  An IEM with a bit more bass than RE0 would be perfect for me. 

Well, we all know the RE0s are known for that other worldly treble detail. So no, no $9 India IEM is going to compete in that area. Still the RE0 is treble centric, Kogan is treble centric. The two just don't go together. You need somthing like these wood IEMs to warm up the Kogan sound. It does not muddy up stuff but seems to add to the weird 3D the Kogan does anyway.

With certain set ups the RE0s are perfect. Still the two IEMs talked about here are night and day. These JBL M330s are nice in the upper register and don't have any of that tube, or muffled sound you normally get with cheap IEMs.

I hate that non detailed muddy, super fuzzy sound you get with cheap IEMs. I can't listen to them. These I like though?

If anything there is one section in the lower mids where the JBLs get slightly not detailed. That little section. I can live with that because the sound is all together.

If anyone has a Kogan I would recomend the JBLs, it's a match made in heaven.:couple_with_heart:

If anyone can get them shipped from Ebay India and spend no more than say $15, I would say give it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back