Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Aug 24, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #91 of 1,681
  well I did find a smaller 8 gb card clip style player by Kogan available outside AUS. You even get a top with it
wink_face.gif

But as usual shipping costs the same as the player.
So there's hope yet

Well I might just spring for 30 bucks shipping to get the Kurgan player for 29:)

Aug 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #92 of 1,681
Aug 24, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #93 of 1,681
Aug 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #94 of 1,681
  I'm thinking that someone who could figure out an economical shipping solution could do well here.

Just ordered one for my daughter.

My guess is that the battery is the problem re shipping internationally. Australian Post will refuse to ship device via air if battery contains lithium. DHL and Fedex ditto. There are agents that will ship equipment with lithium batteries but they charge a small fortune for the privilege.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #95 of 1,681

Just ordered one for my daughter.

My guess is that the battery is the problem re shipping internationally. Australian Post will refuse to ship device via air if battery contains lithium. DHL and Fedex ditto. There are agents that will ship equipment with lithium batteries but they charge a small fortune for the privilege.

Then I wonder if its an off the shelf battery that could be sourced here.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #96 of 1,681

ipod shuffle clone that comes with a sport bra???????????????????????????????????????

I have one. The bass response is louder than my iPod Gen 5 Touch. The issue is you don't know when it's charged up. Also the battery only lasts for 3 hours on a full charge. Still I like the sound sig. Not really that clear. Just a fun player that you don't have to worry about breaking or leaving somewhere.

Still there is no way to figure out when the battery is getting low, at one point the red LED flashes very fast and the thing shuts down. Still, what do you want for $1.75? The cool part is when you turn them off they stay at the exact point in the song and keep a charge when turned off. You can not listen to them when charging though.

Turns out there are at least three more variations of them. A thicker one with an LCD screen and a stick that looks like a USB flash drive. There is also a different variation of that clip where the buttons are in the same place but covered in black and covered with small square buttons. All these variations make you wonder if they have different sound too. At less than $5 each you can buy a bunch.

Reading the response on Amazon though half of the shipped players were non-functional.

These players sell for as little as $ 1.75 with free shipping. Still they have an extreamly fragile feel like if you look at them wrong they will break. For that vary reason I leave my micro-flash card in all the time.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #97 of 1,681

I have one. The bass response is louder than my iPod Gen 5 Touch. The issue is you don't know when it's charged up. Also the battery only lasts for 3 hours on a full charge. Still I like the sound sig. Not really that clear. Just a fun player that you don't have to worry about breaking or leaving somewhere.

Still there is no way to figure out when the battery is getting low, at one point the red LED flashes very fast and the thing shuts down. Still, what do you want for $1.75? The cool part is when you turn them off they stay at the exact point in the song and keep a charge when turned off. You can not listen to them when charging though.

Turns out there are at least three more variations of them. A thicker one with an LCD screen and a stick that looks like a USB flash drive. There is also a different variation of that clip where the buttons are in the same place but covered in black and covered with small square buttons. All these variations make you wonder if they have different sound too. At less than $5 each you can buy a bunch.

Reading the response on Amazon though half of the shipped players were non-functional.

These players sell for as little as $ 1.75 with free shipping. Still they have an extreamly fragile feel like if you look at them wrong they will break. For that vary reason I leave my micro-flash card in all the time.

A friend actually bought my shuffle in NYC years ago for 5 bucks new. Battery was pretty good on it from what I remember.

Nick will be inconsolable, he so had his heart set on that sport bra
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #99 of 1,681
This is surely a silly question, but I don't suppose the Kogan's battery is replaceable?

I have a JDS Labs c421 and when the battery fails to take a charge it can be replaced with an iPod gen four battery. The issue is not being able to find a battery usually but what happens if you try to take the device apart. Anyone who had attempted to take an IPod apart will agree that you can get out over your head real fast. At times the wires are thin as hair and just lying along areas. Of course Apple makes stuff as user irreparable as they can.:p

If your worried about that buy two, wrap one in an airtight bag and put it in the door of your fridge. The two should last you all of eight years. In eight years these devices will be very different.

Aug 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #101 of 1,681
How is adding an amp?

I tried adding Tralucent T1 earlier which worked quite well. In some ways Kogan shares some similarity to my Studio V from headphone out. Crisp, clean, detailed.

btw, I don't recommend writing non-backed up sd cards via Kogan mp4. deleting and renaming work ok, but as soon as I start copying to the player the mounted card drive drops out

Do you mean adding folders whilst the player is connected?  I've had no problems adding folders, actually transfers at decent speed too.

What size card are you using 128gb? I tend to stay safe and use 32gb. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #102 of 1,681
I tried adding Tralucent T1 earlier which worked quite well. In some ways Kogan shares some similarity to my Studio V from headphone out. Crisp, clean, detailed.

Do you mean adding folders whilst the player is connected?  I've had no problems adding folders, actually transfers at decent speed too.

What size card are you using 128gb? I tend to stay safe and use 32gb. 

Yep 128gb sd. First folder I copied made the player disconnect 30/100MB in

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #103 of 1,681
Yep 128gb sd. First folder I copied made the player disconnect 30/100MB in

I think you might be pushing little Kogan too far, not sure Kogan was designed with 128gb cards in mind..  
ph34r.gif

Maybe try a different cable. Or try unplugging it... and plugging it back in. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #105 of 1,681
Hi guys, just got this one today
Do you guys got the tag browser working?
I could only play the music from directory list , lol :D

How are you enjoying the player?

About the tags:

Unfortunately, (best I can tell) the tags like, artist, album, genre, etc.. are only integrated with the internal memory (which Kogan has no internal memory). So we're all surfing by directory from external memory. (folder browsing)

I could be wrong or missing something but that's what I'm doing.

Edit:

I know however you can add songs to your 5 playlists from external memory then search them. (they will be added)

Just select menu > (add to my list) from the now playing screen and choose from playlist 1-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back