Kogan 8GB MP4 - The Player That Came From Nowhere:
Aug 26, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #106 of 1,681
Okay so I contacted Kogan and asked if we could get these bad boys in the States/Canada, etc. 

Unfortunately, they said they can't ship to us for whatever reason. Which is fine and understandable. 

There is the possibility of ordering 1000 pcs to be collected in China. The price is unknown as they are getting back to me. 

But if people REALLY want this thing, there is a possibility to do a group buy of some sort. But that's a lot of volume to handle. 

Not saying that I want to do this group buy LOL

Edit: Since this is to be collected in China. This means that this is probably just a rebranded unit of something from China. We should dig deep and find the manufacturer. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #107 of 1,681
Okay so I contacted Kogan and asked if we could get these bad boys in the States/Canada, etc. 

Unfortunately, they said they can't ship to us for whatever reason. Which is fine and understandable. 

There is the possibility of ordering 1000 pcs to be collected in China. The price is unknown as they are getting back to me. 

But if people REALLY want this thing, there is a possibility to do a group buy of some sort. But that's a lot of volume to handle. 

Not saying that I want to do this group buy LOL

Edit: Since this is to be collected in China. This means that this is probably just a rebranded unit of something from China. We should dig deep and find the manufacturer. 

Me have been combing through Aliexpress and Taoboa ....no luck yet ....:mad:

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #108 of 1,681
They are maybe done with the build of this model but a new one could be ordered? That's at least how I always view the manufacturing there. A batch process. No?

That's how I seem to see the Chinese headphones. They seem to be made only one run at a time.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #109 of 1,681
They are maybe done with the build of this model but a new one could be ordered? That's at least how I always view the manufacturing there. A batch process. No?

That's how I seem to see the Chinese headphones. They seem to be made only one run at a time.

Gotta try ...impressions are good from users ...gotta gotta try ...lol

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #110 of 1,681

Definitely true. Which I think in some ways is good. They can make changes quickly and cheaply and keep innovating and upgrading. At least that's how I see the Chinese market whether it be audio related, smartphones, tablets etc. 

I'm off on a secret agent mission to uncover this mystery! Seems like a great unit that will greatly benefit our budget minded friends!

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #111 of 1,681
Definitely true. Which I think in some ways is good. They can make changes quickly and cheaply and keep innovating and upgrading. At least that's how I see the Chinese market whether it be audio related, smartphones, tablets etc. 

I'm off on a secret agent mission to uncover this mystery! Seems like a great unit that will greatly benefit our budget minded friends!

Yeah man ...secret agent mission ..."sounds" dangeous ...no pun intended ! :cool:

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #112 of 1,681
Yeah man ...secret agent mission ..."sounds" dangeous ...no pun intended ! :cool:

Get em made in pink? That's a total trendy color there now!

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #114 of 1,681
How are you enjoying the player?

About the tags:

Unfortunately, (best I can tell) the tags like, artist, album, genre, etc.. are only integrated with the internal memory (which Kogan has no internal memory). So we're all surfing by directory from external memory. (folder browsing)

I could be wrong or missing something but that's what I'm doing.

Edit:

I know however you can add songs to your 5 playlists from external memory then search them. (they will be added)

Just select menu > (add to my list) from the now playing screen and choose from playlist 1-5.

Beside a few quirks (I don't know whether this only apply for my unit or also on other unit ) I think it is a nice device for $30
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if I can describe the sound , from what I heard it sound a bit thin on bass, but it doesn't sound congested, instrument sound distinct from each other.

Few quirks that I have:
-The volume seems to shoot back to 25 when I turn off and turn it back on again
-The shuffle/repeat setting seems to get reset every time I turn it off.

But again, at $30 I just consider it as a consumable and enjoy it while I can
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #115 of 1,681
  Beside a few quirks (I don't know whether this only apply for my unit or also on other unit ) I think it is a nice device for $30
biggrin.gif

I'm not sure if I can describe the sound , from what I heard it sound a bit thin on bass, but it doesn't sound congested, instrument sound distinct from each other.

Few quirks that I have:
-The volume seems to shoot back to 25 when I turn off and turn it back on again
-The shuffle/repeat setting seems to get reset every time I turn it off.

But again, at $30 I just consider it as a consumable and enjoy it while I can
tongue.gif

Yeah, that's it exactly, for $30, it's cheap as chips.

About the volume level:

I also noticed this, I think mine resets to 24 if I click the player off by the switch on the side. There is a way to stop this.

The on/off switch on the side is actually the mains power, when you turn that off the player completely shuts down. What's not written anywhere (and I found out by accident) is if you press and hold the play/pause button for 2-3 seconds the unit will also turn off, the screen will actually say "bye bye" and shut down like a normal player whilst all your settings remain, also even resume from the same track / time you switched the unit off. To turn it back on hold the play/pause button for a few seconds.

Basically, that switch on the side is like the mains switch behind your DVD player or TV.

Hope that helps!

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #116 of 1,681
Oh nice tip H20, I was kinda wandering the same thing about the volume. Not that its any big deal $29....of Dynamic energy....It has now become my go to DAP....
Bass is great also,I did not find it light on there. But that could be just my preference.

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #117 of 1,681
Hey everyone, medium-time lurker and audiophile noob/wannabe. Long overdue thanks to everyone that posts and the discussions that have guided me to a few purchases over the last year or 2 (e17, se215, etc).

I digress.

My main point for signing up and posting is that my friend is ordering me one of the Kogan DAP's and it seems like there would be enough interest to have her get a couple more.

I'll be sure regardless to post my impressions and setup for those in the future!

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #118 of 1,681
Hey everyone, medium-time lurker and audiophile noob/wannabe. Long overdue thanks to everyone that posts and the discussions that have guided me to a few purchases over the last year or 2 (e17, se215, etc).

I digress.

My main point for signing up and posting is that my friend is ordering me one of the Kogan DAP's and it seems like there would be enough interest to have her get a couple more.

I'll be sure regardless to post my impressions and setup for those in the future!

Welcome aboard mate, your impressions and thoughts are more than welcome here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back