Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #55,171 of 63,914
I have been enjoying my ZS7 this morning. Bass: awesome. Soundstage: awesome. Musicality: awesome. Along with the BA10 the best KZ ever. I have
found this purchase link:
https://gbr.grandado.com/products/k...-as10-zst-zsn-pro-zs10?variant=36497129635989
Come on, KZ, bring it back!
My only gripe with ZS7 is the square shell which contrast greatly at the time i audition it as i compare it to more comfortable ZS10 Pro.
That being said ZS7 bass and airiness is something that ZS10 pro can't touch.

May 9, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #55,172 of 63,914
I was thinking of TRI I3 as a planar to try/experience (now with two pins and $120 deals it is seriously tempting though I hardly need another IEM to add to 55+...).

How does I3 compare to SFR MT300 and piezo hybrids/tribrids in terms of detail retrieval and coherence?
Guys forgive me for posting non-KZ related discussion here.

MT300 and TRI i3 Comparison:

These two are quite close in abilities and both quite satisfying to me.

Both IEMs are tribrids, so they each have a DD (handling bass for both) and BA (handling mids on the MT300 and highs on the I3). Additionally the MT300 has a TDK electrostatic driver for the highs while the I3 has a Planar magnetic driver for the mids. As you can imagine with a planar magnetic driver and electrostatic tweeter, they both shine when given lots of power but will not disappoint on a mobile phone.

They both sound very good to my ears. I have had great fun comparing these two.

The MT300 has good sub-bass with a mid-bass which has good impact. Overall the MT300 bass, is well defined, has good texture and is impactful. The TRI I3 on the other hand, has a highly potent sub-bass, which reminds me of REL subwoofers, in the background subtlety transmitting to you the viseral notes in your music....hmm! Sometimes, just sometimes, you want to feel your bass rather than be hit over the head with bass, the I3 does sub-bass so well. Again they both do mid-bass very well, so that bass is not just slam, it has definition, body and weight, while being dynamic, good quality bass, not just hard-hitting.

The MT300 mids are delightful and render voices and instruments with much detail and texture. Although, the two IEMs are not very far apart in their mids, I have to say, the planar magnetic driver gives the I3s a touch more than most Balanced Amatures can deliver. For me, every note rendered by the planar magnetic driver just sounds correct, whatever type of music I am listening to.

Highs on the MT300 are definitely incredibly pleasant and to me better than the I3s' highs. The detail retrieval across the two IEMs is very good, although neither is tuned to have you standing at attention analysing each and every note, they are both tuned to be more musical than analytical yet both retrieve substantial detail so you do not miss out on anything. The TDK electrostatic tweeter on the MT300 raises the bar a touch above the highs on the I3s.

The great thing about both sets is the natural timbre of instruments. To my ears, whether I am listening to piano, double bass, drums, cymbals, cello or saxophone.....etc, they both sound so realistic, near perfect timbral accuracy.

I hope I have given you a fair idea about how the MT300 and the TRI I3 compare to each other. It is a shame that the price of MT300 has gone back up, but I think we all played a part in raising the price here on Head-fi.

20210508_203318.jpg

I used Dunu DUW02 cables on both of them (2 pin to MMCX converter) with the same set of silicone tips, plugged into the Fiio BTR5.

Screenshot_20210508-202710_Gallery.jpg

Both sets are really good, but if I was forced to choose one set, it will have to be the TRI I3s, the sub-bass speaks to me!

Now time for me to read @1clearhead's comparison of the MT300 and LZ A7.

May 9, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #55,173 of 63,914
I'm panicking right now. Charge indicator doesn't light up when I try plugging it in. Yesterday it was working just fine. Draining the AZ09 to check if it will still charge... Will update you guys within an hour.

UPDATE: Case still charges the AZ09 Bluetooth module but the light indicator for battery left (red/yellow/green) of the case doesn't work anymore.

I hope yours isn't like this, @slex as the AZ09 is a truly wonderful product.

May 9, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #55,174 of 63,914
UPDATE: Case still charges the AZ09 Bluetooth module but the light indicator for battery left (red/yellow/green) of the case doesn't work anymore.

Ok noted, will monitor that fault of yours. Hope you could get a replacement?

May 9, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #55,175 of 63,914
Ok noted, will monitor that fault of yours. Hope you could get a replacement?
I've contacted them already, though I sent the message late in the afternoon. They also have their own lives to live (not sure of the working hours in China but I have agents reply to my message early in the morning or even midnight which leaves me surprised and curious every time) and the AZ09 still technically works so I'm in no rush for a reply from them 😅

This is a review unit and I'd be happy to just receive the actual charging case itself :dt880smile: If not, then it's still fine.

By the way, have you tried it with an IEM other than the ZAX? How'd the AZ09 fit?

May 9, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #55,176 of 63,914
I've contacted them already, though I sent the message late in the afternoon. They also have their own lives to live (not sure of the working hours in China but I have agents reply to my message early in the morning or even midnight which leaves me surprised and curious every time) and the AZ09 still technically works so I'm in no rush for a reply from them 😅

This is a review unit and I'd be happy to just receive the actual charging case itself :dt880smile: If not, then it's still fine.

By the way, have you tried it with an IEM other than the ZAX? How'd the AZ09 fit?
Ok, just the ZAX only at the moment.Fitted well. Later stage will try CCA CSN see whether would fit.

May 9, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #55,177 of 63,914
Guys forgive me for posting non-KZ related discussion here.

MT300 and TRI i3 Comparison:

These two are quite close in abilities and both quite satisfying to me.

Both IEMs are tribrids, so they each have a DD (handling bass for both) and BA (handling mids on the MT300 and highs on the I3). Additionally the MT300 has a TDK electrostatic driver for the highs while the I3 has a Planar magnetic driver for the mids. As you can imagine with a planar magnetic driver and electrostatic tweeter, they both shine when given lots of power but will not disappoint on a mobile phone.

They both sound very good to my ears. I have had great fun comparing these two.

The MT300 has good sub-bass with a mid-bass which has good impact. Overall the MT300 bass, is well defined, has good texture and is impactful. The TRI I3 on the other hand, has a highly potent sub-bass, which reminds me of REL subwoofers, in the background subtlety transmitting to you the viseral notes in your music....hmm! Sometimes, just sometimes, you want to feel your bass rather than be hit over the head with bass, the I3 does sub-bass so well. Again they both do mid-bass very well, so that bass is not just slam, it has definition, body and weight, while being dynamic, good quality bass, not just hard-hitting.

The MT300 mids are delightful and render voices and instruments with much detail and texture. Although, the two IEMs are not very far apart in their mids, I have to say, the planar magnetic driver gives the I3s a touch more than most Balanced Amatures can deliver. For me, every note rendered by the planar magnetic driver just sounds correct, whatever type of music I am listening to.

Highs on the MT300 are definitely incredibly pleasant and to me better than the I3s' highs. The detail retrieval across the two IEMs is very good, although neither is tuned to have you standing at attention analysing each and every note, they are both tuned to be more musical than analytical yet both retrieve substantial detail so you do not miss out on anything. The TDK electrostatic tweeter on the MT300 raises the bar a touch above the highs on the I3s.

The great thing about both sets is the natural timbre of instruments. To my ears, whether I am listening to piano, double bass, drums, cymbals, cello or saxophone.....etc, they both sound so realistic, near perfect timbral accuracy.

I hope I have given you a fair idea about how the MT300 and the TRI I3 compare to each other. It is a shame that the price of MT300 has gone back up, but I think we all played a part in raising the price here on Head-fi.

20210508_203318.jpg

I used Dunu DUW02 cables on both of them (2 pin to MMCX converter) with the same set of silicone tips, plugged into the Fiio BTR5.

Screenshot_20210508-202710_Gallery.jpg

Both sets are really good, but if I was forced to choose one set, it will have to be the TRI I3s, the sub-bass speaks to me!

Now time for me to read @1clearhead's comparison of the MT300 and LZ A7.
That's a very good comparison and tallies with my experience. Both of these are in my top three along with the Starsea.

May 9, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #55,178 of 63,914
Well I am working on my own preference target and here is the EQ used on the DQ6 to try to simulate my current target (WIP).

Preamp: -4db
low-shelf: 80hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 2.5db
peak: 550hz, Q:1.4, gain: 1.3db
peak 2100hz, Q:2.5, gain: -3.db
peak: 3560hz, Q: 2.87, gain: 3.3db
peak: 5200hz, Q: 5.76, gain: -6db
peak: 6000hz, Q: 11.54, gain: -3db
peak: 7800hz, Q: 5.5, gain: -7.8db
peak: 10 300hz, Q: 11.54, gain: -7db
high-shelf: 11 000hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 4.db

This removes all the peaks on the DQ6 making it a lot more relaxing and non-fatiguing and even more fun with more sub-bass that doesnt cause any extra bloat.

May 9, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #55,179 of 63,914

It's very standard of such BT conductors. My TRN BT20S began showing similar symptoms before going completely bust couple of months down the line. Although, my BT20 didn't go bust but the right piece lost it's lights after 15-20 days. It's just that they use poor quality LED bulb which goes kaput after a few cycles.

May 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #55,180 of 63,914
Well I am working on my own preference target and here is the EQ used on the DQ6 to try to simulate my current target (WIP).

Preamp: -4db
low-shelf: 80hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 2.5db
peak: 550hz, Q:1.4, gain: 1.3db
peak 2100hz, Q:2.5, gain: -3.db
peak: 3560hz, Q: 2.87, gain: 3.3db
peak: 5200hz, Q: 5.76, gain: -6db
peak: 6000hz, Q: 11.54, gain: -3db
peak: 7800hz, Q: 5.5, gain: -7.8db
peak: 10 300hz, Q: 11.54, gain: -7db
high-shelf: 11 000hz, Q: 0.6, gain: 4.db

This removes all the peaks on the DQ6 making it a lot more relaxing and non-fatiguing and even more fun with more sub-bass that doesnt cause any extra bloat.
Can you post the curve of your EQ? Somehow looks very similar to Oratory's U-sound curve if I'm not wrong

May 9, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #55,181 of 63,914
Can you post the curve of your EQ? Somehow looks very similar to Oratory's U-sound curve if I'm not wrong
1620574931058.png

Still in WIP, so there might be changes before the finished target.

May 9, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #55,182 of 63,914
Really enjoying the ZS7 again. If you have one, try this, wonderful!

May 9, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #55,183 of 63,914
1620574931058.png

Still in WIP, so there might be changes before the finished target.
Yep very much in line with the Harman Target curve (2017) for IEM. I'm using something similar for my T2 and I very much like that sound. Sibilance is gone, bass is more authorative and mids have slight oomph to make things great for lively music.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210509-211758_Neutron Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-211758_Neutron Player.jpg
    608.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210509-211810_Neutron Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210509-211810_Neutron Player.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #55,184 of 63,914
Yep very much in line with the Harman Target curve (2017) for IEM. I'm using something similar for my T2 and I very much like that sound. Sibilance is gone, bass is more authorative and mids have slight oomph to make things great for lively music.
Its quite different from harman.

1620575424559.png

(Oxygen is probably the closest to harman I got.)

May 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #55,185 of 63,914
Been out of the IEM game for years and can`t believe what they are putting in these cheap iems these days. Just ordered some KZ ZS10 pro`s just use on a walk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back