Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 9, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #55,186 of 63,832
Been out of the IEM game for years and can`t believe what they are putting in these cheap iems these days. Just ordered some KZ ZS10 pro`s just use on a walk.
Ha...yeah I did the same not long ago....under $50 will get you nice satisfying sound. Even less if need be.

May 9, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #55,187 of 63,832
Ha...yeah I did the same not long ago....under $50 will get you nice satisfying sound. Even less if need be.
How times have moved on hey, even the website here lol (messed up sig etc). Hope you are ok mate.

May 9, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #55,188 of 63,832
Its quite different from harman.

(Oxygen is probably the closest to harman I got.)
Yes because I have slightly tweaked the band 2,5 and 10. To get them to my liking. It is my derivative of Harman which suits my music library better. That's why I said something similar. Exact curves are attached here.

Attachments

• Tin Audio T2.pdf
    424.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #55,189 of 63,832
The TRI I3 is not really a pure planar, as the planars inside it just handle the mids (The DD handles the bass and the BA handles the treble).
So considering it is a weird mishmash of 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA, it is very coherent, U shaped tuning, rather smooth and bassy.
The TRI I3 is bordering on dark in the treble, and I think you are a treblehead, so that is just something to take note of. There's a 3 kHz peak (I consider this upper mids) that can be jarring at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson Curve) or in poorly recorded music, but by and large it is quite an inoffensive tuning. Bass is one level shy of basshead levels in quantity. So by and large, it is rather coherent in tuning, compared to some other multi driver CHIFI types I've heard that have too slow bass DD compared to treble BA, or those with obvious crossover points.

TRI I3 needs amping though, cause of the planars, sounds meh from lower powered sources. When amped, the planar mids are thick and lush and the soundstage is very big in height and depth for this $100 price bracket.

The shells are also large and heavy, so I do get discomfort with them for longer usages.

If I compare it against other piezos that I have eg LZ A7, the TRI I3 won't beat them in terms of pure detail retrieval, as we discussed the treble is darkish so there's some loss of micro details there. Piezos generally have a lot of air and treble extension, but they tend to have poor timbral accuracy if not tuned properly. TRI I3 is more towards an analoguish smooth tuning with rolled off treble.

Guys forgive me for posting non-KZ related discussion here.

MT300 and TRI i3 Comparison:

These two are quite close in abilities and both quite satisfying to me.

Both IEMs are tribrids, so they each have a DD (handling bass for both) and BA (handling mids on the MT300 and highs on the I3). Additionally the MT300 has a TDK electrostatic driver for the highs while the I3 has a Planar magnetic driver for the mids. As you can imagine with a planar magnetic driver and electrostatic tweeter, they both shine when given lots of power but will not disappoint on a mobile phone.

They both sound very good to my ears. I have had great fun comparing these two.

The MT300 has good sub-bass with a mid-bass which has good impact. Overall the MT300 bass, is well defined, has good texture and is impactful. The TRI I3 on the other hand, has a highly potent sub-bass, which reminds me of REL subwoofers, in the background subtlety transmitting to you the viseral notes in your music....hmm! Sometimes, just sometimes, you want to feel your bass rather than be hit over the head with bass, the I3 does sub-bass so well. Again they both do mid-bass very well, so that bass is not just slam, it has definition, body and weight, while being dynamic, good quality bass, not just hard-hitting.

The MT300 mids are delightful and render voices and instruments with much detail and texture. Although, the two IEMs are not very far apart in their mids, I have to say, the planar magnetic driver gives the I3s a touch more than most Balanced Amatures can deliver. For me, every note rendered by the planar magnetic driver just sounds correct, whatever type of music I am listening to.

Highs on the MT300 are definitely incredibly pleasant and to me better than the I3s' highs. The detail retrieval across the two IEMs is very good, although neither is tuned to have you standing at attention analysing each and every note, they are both tuned to be more musical than analytical yet both retrieve substantial detail so you do not miss out on anything. The TDK electrostatic tweeter on the MT300 raises the bar a touch above the highs on the I3s.

The great thing about both sets is the natural timbre of instruments. To my ears, whether I am listening to piano, double bass, drums, cymbals, cello or saxophone.....etc, they both sound so realistic, near perfect timbral accuracy.

I hope I have given you a fair idea about how the MT300 and the TRI I3 compare to each other. It is a shame that the price of MT300 has gone back up, but I think we all played a part in raising the price here on Head-fi.

20210508_203318.jpg

I used Dunu DUW02 cables on both of them (2 pin to MMCX converter) with the same set of silicone tips, plugged into the Fiio BTR5.

Screenshot_20210508-202710_Gallery.jpg

Both sets are really good, but if I was forced to choose one set, it will have to be the TRI I3s, the sub-bass speaks to me!

Now time for me to read @1clearhead's comparison of the MT300 and LZ A7.

That's a very good comparison and tallies with my experience. Both of these are in my top three along with the Starsea.
Thank you for the great wealth of information and comparison, I really appreciate it. It makes it really hard to resist TRI I3 at its current deal to experience planars :)
I actually hoped that KZ would start to introduce piezo, planars and electrostats/magnetostats, did not happen so far...

May 10, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #55,190 of 63,832
Anyone tried this for ZAX/ZSN pro x?
US $19.65 41% Off | KZ AZ09 HD Bluetooth Module Wireless Upgrade Cable Bluetooth 5.2 HIFI Wireless Ear Hook C PIN Connector With Charging Case
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPRpz1n

May 10, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #55,191 of 63,832
Thank you for the great wealth of information and comparison, I really appreciate it. It makes it really hard to resist TRI I3 at its current deal to experience planars :)
I actually hoped that KZ would start to introduce piezo, planars and electrostats/magnetostats, did not happen so far...
ZEST is what I’m hoping😆
2DD(double XUN structure with LCP diaphragm, like those used in Moondrop Aria/ BQEYZ Summer)
+
3BA (2 full range, 1 midrange in nozzle for clearer voice) to support frequency transitions between different types of drivers
+
1 Planer for Mid
+
2EST (inhouse

Price? $129😳 will be amazing.
-Refine tuned ZAX with in-house EST, remove couple of bellsing 30095 to reduce treble fatigue. Add one mid range BA in nozzle just like TRN VX

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #55,192 of 63,832
The KZ ZS10 pros arrived today. Settled on an old pair of foam tips, think they were Comply tips but round with a grey centre filter (tames the brittle high end)
Played around on youtube with my Galaxy S9 phone and considering these things cost £42, their effort with Noisia is damn good, fast and can pack a thump.

Will use them through an amp and an ipod but heck, at this price times have changed massively. Yeah you don`t have a Stage diver 3 soundstage etc but a thumbs for for what do you say these days? Chi-fi?

May 10, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #55,193 of 63,832
ZEST is what I’m hoping😆
2DD(double XUN structure with LCP diaphragm, like those used in Moondrop Aria/ BQEYZ Summer)
+
3BA (2 full range, 1 midrange in nozzle for clearer voice) to support frequency transitions between different types of drivers
+
1 Planer for Mid
+
2EST (inhouse

Price? $129😳 will be amazing.
-Refine tuned ZAX with in-house EST, remove couple of bellsing 30095 to reduce treble fatigue. Add one mid range BA in nozzle just like TRN VX
That would be a dream :)

Then even ZAX with a tighter punchier bass would be a winner - more mid BAs and dedicate XUN only to below 65 Hz!

May 10, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #55,194 of 63,832
I have been enjoying my ZS7 this morning. Bass: awesome. Soundstage: awesome. Musicality: awesome. Along with the BA10 the best KZ ever. I have
found this purchase link:
https://gbr.grandado.com/products/k...-as10-zst-zsn-pro-zs10?variant=36497129635989
Come on, KZ, bring it back!

I've decided to just stick with Amazon for purchases right now which does limit my access to what is available elsewhere.
If the ZS7 ever shows up on Amazon (doubt it) I'll pick up two sets.

Love my ZS6 (v1) but I understand that the ZS7 sounds nothing like it.
A while back someone had advised that the ZS7 sounds very similar to the BQ3.
Is this true?

Which KZ offers a presentation that is most similar to the ZS7?

Thanks in advance.

ZS10pro, ZSX, CKX and BQ3 are in my collection.

I like the ZS10pro but the ZSX is smoother.
I like the ZSX but the CKX is more refined.
I don't necessarily need another IEM but the ZS7 would be a nice addition.
I figure it will fit nicely between the BA10 and ZS6 or between the BA10 and ZSX
depending on the ZS7's presentation.

My current budget-fi collection spans from:
a) buttery smooth (C10) to fatigue-free detail (KB100) in warm IEMs
b) clean and smooth (BA10) to high detail (AS12) in analytical IEMs

Currently enjoying the Tin T3, Tin T1, DQ6 and an occasional AS12.

p.s. - Just an FYI, this new KZ cable looks fantastic on my brushed aluminum CKX

51AhM-WzHXL._AC_SY580_.jpg

but it is also slightly more bulky than KZ's new copper and new silver cables of similar build. Just be aware in case you prefer slimmer 8-core or 16-core cables.
It is definitely thicker than my Tripowin Zonie 16-core cables.

61NlbklsI8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks can be deceiving.
8216c7a99caf452c92ffeff25bad0efe.gif

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #55,195 of 63,832
My kz AZ09 arrived today, they are lot more comfortable than the trn BT20 and smaller. The cable is slightly longer and has no metal wire and the housing is thinner and smaller. A very slight noise floor with them that gets louder as the volume increases. I have stuck my kz zs10 pros on them, as the connectors have cracked on mine. They are staying on them. Can't comment on the battery life yet.

May 10, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #55,196 of 63,832
I've decided to just stick with Amazon for purchases right now which does limit my access to what is available elsewhere.
If the ZS7 ever shows up on Amazon (doubt it) I'll pick up two sets.

Love my ZS6 (v1) but I understand that the ZS7 sounds nothing like it.
A while back someone had advised that the ZS7 sounds very similar to the BQ3.
Is this true?

Which KZ offers a presentation that is most similar to the ZS7?

Thanks in advance.

ZS10pro, ZSX, CKX and BQ3 are in my collection.

I like the ZS10pro but the ZSX is smoother.
I like the ZSX but the CKX is more refined.
I don't necessarily need another IEM but the ZS7 would be a nice addition.
I figure it will fit nicely between the BA10 and ZS6 or between the BA10 and ZSX
depending on the ZS7's presentation.

My current budget-fi collection spans from:
a) buttery smooth (C10) to fatigue-free detail (KB100) in warm IEMs
b) clean and smooth (BA10) to high detail (AS12) in analytical IEMs

Currently enjoying the Tin T3, Tin T1, DQ6 and an occasional AS12.

p.s. - Just an FYI, this new KZ cable looks fantastic on my brushed aluminum CKX

but it is also slightly more bulky than KZ's new copper and new silver cables of similar build. Just be aware in case you prefer slimmer 8-core or 16-core cables.
It is definitely thicker than my Tripowin Zonie 16-core cables.

Looks can be deceiving.
ZS7 is kind of a blend of ZS10 Pro, (big, bold and exciting) and the BA10. It has the same BAs (29869, 31005 and 2x30095) as the BA10, so it sounds similar in the mids and treble, plus a 10mm DD instead of the 22955 BA, in a 4 way configuration. The DD in the ZS7 has prodigious bass, the best sub-bass you will hear. Soundstage is very expansive and three dimensional. Whenever I listen to music on the ZS7 there is a smile on my face and there cannot be a better testimonial than that! BTW I also enjoy the Tin T3, it's my favourite Tin IEM.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #55,197 of 63,832
Then even ZAX with a tighter punchier bass would be a winner - more mid BAs and dedicate XUN only to below 65 Hz!
I agree, the ZAX has so much going for it. The upper mids and treble are very good. Upper treble air is very well extended, yet remarkably smooth sounding. A better DD, that’s faster and more detailed, would make it quite an exceptional IEM. I would also personally like it if they toned down the mid bass/upper bass a little. A tuning like the Dawn/Dusk would be perfect IMO. Novel and exotic drivers are often an unnecessary expense.

May 11, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #55,198 of 63,832
Recently discovered the fantastic AutoEq repository! ... but it doesn't have a profile for AS12.

Anyone know which other KZ model has the closest frequency response curve to the AS12?

May 11, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #55,199 of 63,832
Anyone who thinks bass BAs can't deliver, try the BA10. The 22955 in there really plumbs the depths. It goes much deeper than C16, CS16, TRN BA5 or Aiderlot M5. On this track it is remarkable:

May 11, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #55,200 of 63,832
Anyone who thinks bass BAs can't deliver, try the BA10. The 22955 in there really plumbs the depths. It goes much deeper than C16, CS16, TRN BA5 or Aiderlot M5. On this track it is remarkable:

Nice track!
I agree that BA10 bass is deeper than that of C16, AS16 and crispier than that of AS10. Then AS12 to me is a bass star (all with the same good old 22955, AS12 with two).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back