Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 11, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #55,201 of 63,916
Anyone who thinks bass BAs can't deliver, try the BA10. The 22955 in there really plumbs the depths. It goes much deeper than C16, CS16, TRN BA5 or Aiderlot M5. On this track it is remarkable:

Thank you @Nimweth, I am listening to "Awakening" on the Knowles 22955 TRI Starshines as I write.

It is good to know that there is a reference point in the BA10 for those who want to know how potent this Knowles Balanced Amature bass is.

May 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #55,202 of 63,916
Thank you @Nimweth, I am listening to "Awakening" on the Knowles 22955 TRI Starshines as I write.

It is good to know that there is a reference point in the BA10 for those who want to know how potent this Knowles Balanced Amature bass is.
KZ does not use Knowles, just the same numbers for copying them...
Actually Knowles 22955 in one of my set feel more gentle.
Other BAs - different story.

May 11, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #55,203 of 63,916
Recently discovered the fantastic AutoEq repository! ... but it doesn't have a profile for AS12.

Anyone know which other KZ model has the closest frequency response curve to the AS12?

I've been collecting KZ's since 2015 and from my experience there are only a handful of KZ's that have similarities to the AS12 but the differences will be quite notable.

My response may, likely, only be helpful to a KZ veteran.

That said, here you go.

The AS12 stands alone in its presentation amongst all of its predecessors in the same way that the DQ6 and BA10 stand alone amongst every KZ model that precedes them.

My synopsis:

With most KZ's you can clearly hear the progression and improvement of a given presentation or sound signature (i.e. - ATE to ATR, ZST to ZS6, ZS10pro to ZSX).

BA10:
With the BA10 one could argue that its presentation or sound signature is reminiscent of the ZS3 sound signature, albeit an infinitely more refined ZS3 presentation. For me, the BA10's transducers, aluminum casings and even its vented faceplates lend it a proficiency the ZS3, with its humble beginnings, could never attain.

I acknowledge the ZS3 with a thankful wink as I respectfully shelf it with its upgraded cable and its own case. Barring isolation and timbre, my BA10 replaces my ZS3 because it outperforms it on every front.

For the most part the BA10 stands alone but its DNA is unmistakable to my ears.
The BA10 is a much cleaner and much more clear ZS3.

DQ6:
In the same way, I find myself in familiar territory with the DQ6.

What the BA10 is to the ZS3, a sucessor in spirit, the DQ6 is to KZ's ED10 of days gone by. When it was released the single dynamic driver ED10 was a long time favorite of mine. Glorious bass, at the time, with detail and energy to spare. The DQ6 does inject a tad more energy in the mid treble region that can give the DQ6 an uncomfortable edginess with the wrong eartips but if you reduce the 5-6khz region a few db then you are essentially listening to a much cleaner and much more clear ED10. So, once again, for the most part the DQ6 does stand alone but its DNA is unmistakable to my ears.

AS12:
This brings us to the AS12. There are only two KZ's from days gone by that could possibly lay claim to being of similar lineage (in spirit) to the AS12 and like the AS12 both of those IEMs were lost in shuffle or overshadowed by more popular flavor-of-the-month models.

Before I go into detail I will admit that the case I am about to make can be considered as specious or even tenuous. I wouldn't argue with that view if it ever presents itself, mainly because I am operating from memory with the two IEMs in question.

The first model had two unfortunate flaws that the AS12 solved quite handily. Like the AS12 this particular model was briefly maligned by one of its few reviewers.

The IEM in question had two things going against it right out of the gate. The first being that it's moniker suggested a lineage that the oddly tuned IEM could never live up to. This particular IEM's predecessor had been aptly dubbed "Lord Bass" by a burgeoning KZ pillar known for having a good set of ears on him. The successor to "Lord Bass" would be a prince, at best, because it would forever remain in the shadow of its progenitor.

The second count levied against said IEM was its unusual tuning. I, myself, had a love/hate relationship with it but this was primarily because the fit was atrocious. On the rare occasion that I could achieve a satisfactory fit and seal I found myself thoroughly intrigued by its presentation.

Nevertheless, be aware that both flaws of that IEM's sound signature were valid criticisms.

Ok, enough with the "cloak and dagger" machinations.

The IEM in question here is the often forgotten and often maligned ZS2.
Sift through the February 2016 and March 2016 pages of this thread for real time discussions back when the ZS2 was introduced.

I'll get right to the point here. The ZS2 suffered from rolled off treble and an occasional streak of strident behavior. However, it's saving grace was that the ZS2 responded exceptionally well to EQ adjustment and said adjustments (-2db @ 4khz and personal preference adjustments in the upper frequencies) were minimal to release this dual dynamic's full potential. It was the psychological hurdle of expectation that kept the ZS2 from ever being seriously considered.

I still have ZS2's in a box somewhere with plans to re-cable them to mitigate the atrocious fit issue but I do remember fitting them with wide bore silicone eartips to clean up the midbass and widen the soundstage. I also remember being stunned at the smooth but wide presentation. I hated the fit but I kept going back because occasionally I could hear the ZS2's real potential. The best way for me to describe what I was hearing is that the presentation, as a whole, was "airy", even the bass - which is something I hadn't heard up to that point (early 2016).

From memory, outfitting the ZS2 with wide bore silicone eartips and minor fiddling with the EQ gave the ZS2 a somewhat "airy" and balanced presentation. Yes, I am going from memory but, despite the infuriating fit, I revisited the ZS2 so many times that it left an indelible impression on the psyche of this hobbyist.

In many ways the AS12 is everything the ZS2 strove to be. Both models having a good sense of "air" with sufficient weight to the notes. Couple those attributes to the fact that no particular frequency overrode other frequencies and what you have is something pretty special. No doubt, the dual dynamic ZS2 has better timbral accuracy but the AS12's timbre is fine if you have no aversion to balanced armatures with decent timbre.

In my opinion, the AS12 is to the BA10 what the CKX is to the ZSX.
All four are bang-for-buck gems but your personal preferences will play the biggest part in which models you would enjoy the most.

The AS12 and CKX are light and airy with just enough weight to the notes to keep you engaged and "almost" in a state of wonder when you consider the $70 price point.

The BA10 and ZSX are smoother and warmer with just enough detail to keep your foot tapping with a silly smirk on your face because you're "just feeling the music". That's great at any price but, again, when you consider the $70 +/- and $50 +/- price points, respectively, you can't help but feel like you've made the right choice in picking up either model.

So, most of the criticisms levied against the ZS2 were justified but both the ZS1 (Lord Bass) and the ZS2 respond to EQ adjustments like a champ. As a result said issues were easily rectified. To my thinking, the overriding factor in the ZS2's failure to take hold was the psychological hurdle (its moniker - ZS2) that it simply could not detach itself from because the original ZS1 was one of the earliest KZ's to be a stand-alone legend when it came to the "fun factor" for an IEM with a ridiculous price-to-performance ratio.

Almost forgot, the second model that, from memory, has similar attributes to the AS12 is the KZ HD9 which didn't leave as much of an impression as the ZS2 did. From memory, which isn't as ingrained as my memory of the ZS2, the HD9 had a unique somewhat balanced signature that erred on the brighter side of balanced.
Neither bass nor treble overshadow the midrange which can be slightly forward depending on your eartip selection.

In closing I'll say that the AS12, despite the slight BA-timbre, is definitely one of KZ's best releases. It's an absolute travesty that there isn't more feedback in the community but..... like the BA10, I have multiple sets of the AS12 and in the end I prefer them to the BA10 (probably 8 out of 10 times).

My opinion is as follows:
a) the AS12 was released at approximately the same time as the AS16
b) but the AS16 drew a lukewarm reception
c) the AS12 looks nearly identical to the AS16, hence the moniker ties that bind
d) there were initially only two reviews of the AS12 (one good and one lukewarm)
e) the ZS10 Pro had phenomenal staying power on forums so attention remained on its attributes instead of the newer models and the AS12 slipped into obscurity.

In my opinion, due to these factors the AS12 has suffered in reverse what the ZS2 suffered several years earlier. The AS12 has been treading water, not because it was launched in the wake of an oil tanker but because it was launched in the wake of a very nice but identical looking yacht (the AS16) that just seemed to miss the mark. As a result, analysis paralysis created a vacuum for the voices and psychological hurdles that simply fill one's head with more questions than answers.

The AS12 is sort of a victim of KZ's own successes and failures with their rapid fire releases of one model after another. That said, once in a while we do get something quite noteworthy that unfortunately just slips through the cracks.

Be that as it may, the AS12 affords one of the most balanced presentations of any KZ release since the original EDR2 and it ranks very highly in my own KZ collection.

FULL STOP.

5C7DB335-F33E-4EEF-B604-0E77BA3D0191-1.jpg

p.s. - had to edit that post heavily for it to flow properly

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #55,204 of 63,916
I've been collecting KZ's since 2015 and from my experience there are only a handful of KZ's that have similarities to the AS12 but the differences will be quite notable.

That said, here you go.

The AS12 stands alone in its presentation amongst all of its predecessors in the same way that the DQ6 and BA10 stand alone amongst every KZ model that precedes them.

My synopsis:

With most KZ's you can clearly hear the progression and improvement of a given presentation or sound signature (i.e. - ATE to ATR, ZST to ZS6, ZS10pro to ZSX).

BA10:
With the BA10 one could argue that its presentation or sound signature is reminiscent of the ZS3 sound signature, albeit an infinitely more refined ZS3 presentation. For me, the BA10's transducers, aluminum casings and even its vented faceplates lend it a proficiency the ZS3, with its humble beginnings, could never attain.

I acknowledge the ZS3 with a thankful wink as I respectfully shelf it with its upgraded cable and its own case. Barring isolation and timbre, my BA10 replaces my ZS3 because it outperforms it on every front.

DQ6:

What the BA10 is to the ZS3, a sucessor in spirit, the DQ6 is to KZ's ED10 of days gone by. When it was released the single dynamic driver ED10 was a long time favorite of mine. Glorious bass, at the time, with detail and energy to spare. The DQ6 does inject a tad more energy in the mid treble region that can give the DQ6 an uncomfortable edginess with the wrong eartips but if you reduce the 5-6khz region a few db then you are essentially listening to a much cleaner and much more clear ED10. So, once again, for the most part the DQ6 does stand alone but its DNA is unmistakable to my ears.

AS12:
This brings us to the AS12. There are only two KZ's from days gone by that could possibly lay claim to being of similar lineage (in spirit) to the AS12 and like the AS12 both of those IEMs were lost in shuffle or overshadowed by more popular flavor-of-the-month models.

Before I go into detail I will admit that the case I am about to make can be considered as specious or even tenuous. I wouldn't argue with that view if it ever presents itself, mainly because I am operating from memory with the two IEMs in question.

The first model had two unfortunate flaws that the AS12 solved quite handily. Like the AS12 this particular model was briefly maligned by one of its few reviewers.

The IEM in question had two things going against it right out of the gate. The first being that it's moniker suggested a lineage that the oddly tuned IEM could never live up to. This particular IEM's predecessor had been aptly dubbed "Lord Bass" by a burgeoning KZ pillar known for having a good set of ears on him. The successor to "Lord Bass" would be a prince, at best, because it would forever remain in the shadow of its progenitor.

The second count levied against said IEM was its unusual tuning. I, myself, had a love/hate relationship with it but this was primarily because the fit was atrocious. On the rare occasion that I could achieve a satisfactory fit and seal I found myself thoroughly intrigued by its presentation.

Nevertheless, be aware that both flaws of that IEM's sound signature were valid criticisms.

Sift through the February 2016 and March 2016 pages of this thread for real time discussions back when the ZS2 was introduced.

I'll get right to the point here. The ZS2 suffered from rolled off treble and an occasional streak of strident behavior. However, it's saving grace was that the ZS2 responded exceptionally well to EQ adjustment and said adjustments (-2db @ 4khz and personal preference adjustments in the upper frequencies) were minimal to release this dual dynamic's full potential. It was the psychological hurdle of expectation that kept the ZS2 from ever being seriously considered.

I still have ZS2's in a box somewhere with plans to re-cable them to mitigate the atrocious fit issue but I do remember fitting them with wide bore silicone eartips to clean up the midbass and widen the soundstage. I also remember being stunned at the smooth but wide presentation. I hated the fit but I kept going back because occasionally I could hear the ZS2's real potential. The best way for me to describe what I was hearing is that the presentation, as a whole, was "airy", even the bass - which is something I hadn't heard up to that point (early 2016).

From memory, outfitting the ZS2 with wide bore silicone eartips and minor fiddling with the EQ gave the ZS2 a somewhat "airy" and balanced presentation. Yes, I am going from memory but, despite the infuriating fit, I revisited the ZS2 so many times that it left an indelible impression on the psyche of this hobbyist.

In many ways the AS12 is everything the ZS2 strove to be. Both models having a good sense of "air" with sufficient weight to the notes. Couple those attributes to the fact that no particular frequency overrode other frequencies and what you have is something pretty special. No doubt, the dual dynamic ZS2 has better timbral accuracy but the AS12's timbre is fine if you have no aversion to balanced armatures with decent timbre.

All four are bang-for-buck gems but your personal preferences will play the biggest part in which models you would enjoy the most.

The AS12 and CKX are light and airy with just enough weight to the notes to keep you engaged and "almost" in a state of wonder when you consider the $70 price point.

The BA10 and ZSX are smoother and warmer with just enough detail to keep your foot tapping with a silly smirk on your face because you're "just feeling the music". That's great at any price but, again, when you consider the $70 +/- and $50 +/- price points, respectively, you can't help but feel like you've made the right choice in picking up either model.

So, most of the criticisms levied against the ZS2 were justified but both the ZS1 (Lord Bass) and the ZS2 respond to EQ adjustments like a champ. As a result said issues were easily rectified. To my thinking, the overriding factor in the ZS2's failure to take hold was the psychological hurdle (its moniker - ZS2) that it simply could not detach itself from because the original ZS1 was one of the earliest KZ's to be a stand-alone legend when it came to the "fun factor" for an IEM with a ridiculous price-to-performance ratio.

Almost forgot, the second model that, from memory, has similar attributes to the AS12 is the KZ HD9 which didn't leave as much of an impression as the ZS2 did. From memory, which isn't as ingrained as my memory of the ZS2, the HD9 had a unique somewhat balanced signature that erred on the brighter side of balanced.
Neither bass nor treble overshadow the midrange which can be slightly forward depending on your eartip selection.

In closing I'll say that the AS12, despite the slight BA-timbre, is definitely one of KZ's best releases. It's an absolute travesty that there isn't more feedback in the community but..... like the BA10, I have multiple sets of the AS12 and in the end I prefer them to the BA10 (probably 8 out of 10 times).

c) the AS12 looks nearly identical to the AS12
d) there were initially only two reviews of the AS12 (one good and one lukewarm)
and finally
e) the ZS10 Pro had phenomenal staying power on forums so attention remained on its attributes while the AS12 slipped into obscurity.

In my opinion, due to these factors the AS12 has suffered in reverse what the ZS2 suffered several years earlier. The AS12 has been treading water, not because it was launched in the wake of an oil tanker but because it was launched in the wake of a very nice but identical looking yacht (the AS16) that just seemed to miss the mark. As a result, analysis paralysis created a vacuum for the voices and psychological hurdles to fill one's head with more questions than answers.

The AS12 is sort of a victim of KZ's own successes and failures with the rapid fire releases of one model on top of another. That said, once in a while we'll get something quite noteworthy that unfortunately just slips through the cracks.

Be that as it may, the AS12 affords one of the most balanced presentations of any KZ release since the original EDR2 and it ranks very highly in my own KZ collection.

FULL STOP.

My brief "contarian opinion" on AS12:
I do very much respect and enjoy AS12 bass, really one of the best BA-bass out there.

I am an ardent all-BA fun, and can tolerate BA tonality distortion/pecularities quite well, I think.
Having said this, AS12 are quite off tonally for me, most evident with the orchestral brass.
The reason for that is the treble that is heavly (really heavily) dampened in AS12 by the treble filter.
I have these filters removed, and do enjoy AS12 much more in this modified form, but then infamous A10/KB10 are gentler in treble than non- modified AS12 :wink:

I do think that AS12 are great for the price to enjoy one of the best BA bass, but then to me AS12 are really a "specialty" IEM rather "not for everyone".

P. S. AS12 potential is really great, if one can make their own treble filtering.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #55,205 of 63,916
My brief "contarian opinion" on AS12:
I do very much respect and enjoy AS12 bass, really one of the best BA-bass out there.

I am an ardent all-BA fun, and can tolerate BA tonality distortion/pecularities quite well, I think.
Having said this, AS12 are quite off tonally for me, most evident with the orchestral brass.
The reason for that is the treble that is heavly (really heavily) dampened in AS12 by the treble filter.
I have these filters removed, and do enjoy AS12 much more in this modified form, but then infamous A10/KB10 are gentler in treble than non- modified AS12 :wink:

I do think that AS12 are great for the price to enjoy one of the best BA bass, but then to me AS12 are really a "specialty" IEM rather "not for everyone".

P. S. AS12 potential is really great, if one can make their own treble filtering.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just glad that the AS12 holds interest for someone else on the thread.

I'll take your suggestion and experiment with modding the treble filter on one of my AS12's.

I was not a fan of the CCA A10/KB EAR KB10 treble presentation. Violin concertos, sonatas and partitas were rendered quite well but the pleasantries ended there.

The AS12 handles Perlman's Bach Chaconne very well.

May 11, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #55,206 of 63,916
@Alpha Whale Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on the KZ lineup. My, that's some in depth information there. Still trying to re-read and digest them.

I agree that the AS12's timbre is very good for an all-BA, hard to fault it when listening to pop/rock. Had about 10 hours or so listeining to my pair so far. Hopefully will share some thoughts about them after some more hours.

May 11, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #55,207 of 63,916
I have posted my review of the KZ AZ09.

In there I talk about its features, sound, connectivity, battery efficiency, issues, and many more which I hope can help you in your decision. If you have the time, I would deeply appreciate you guys reading it and for any advice on how I can further improve my reviews in the future.

Stay safe everyone!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-az09.25142/review/25844/

May 12, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #55,208 of 63,916
I have posted my review of the KZ AZ09.

In there I talk about its features, sound, connectivity, battery efficiency, issues, and many more which I hope can help you in your decision. If you have the time, I would deeply appreciate you guys reading it and for any advice on how I can further improve my reviews in the future.

Stay safe everyone!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-az09.25142/review/25844/
Uhmmmmm... So yeah. I guess I'd just reshell it? Perks of having 3 dogs in the house ಥ‿ಥ One of them got hungry...

Life really likes these kind of stuff. Just a few moments after posting my review and this happens.

IMG20210512122344.jpg

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #55,210 of 63,916
Uhmmmmm... So yeah. I guess I'd just reshell it? Perks of having 3 dogs in the house ಥ‿ಥ One of them got hungry...

Life really likes these kind of stuff. Just a few moments after posting my review and this happens.

IMG20210512122344.jpg
Your 🐕have good taste 🙂

May 12, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #55,212 of 63,916

That said, here you go.

My synopsis:

BA10:

DQ6:

AS12:

c) the AS12 looks nearly identical to the AS16, hence the moniker ties that bind
e) the ZS10 Pro had phenomenal staying power on forums so attention remained on its attributes instead of the newer models and the AS12 slipped into obscurity.

In my opinion, due to these factors the AS12 has suffered in reverse what the ZS2 suffered several years earlier. The AS12 has been treading water, not because it was launched in the wake of an oil tanker but because it was launched in the wake of a very nice but identical looking yacht (the AS16) that just seemed to miss the mark. As a result, analysis paralysis created a vacuum for the voices and psychological hurdles that simply fill one's head with more questions than answers.

The AS12 is sort of a victim of KZ's own successes and failures with their rapid fire releases of one model after another. That said, once in a while we do get something quite noteworthy that unfortunately just slips through the cracks.

FULL STOP.

5C7DB335-F33E-4EEF-B604-0E77BA3D0191-1.jpg

p.s. - had to edit that post heavily for it to flow properly
I do not have the AS12, but I agree with you about the ZSX, CKX and BA10. I would definitely add the ZS7 to the list, though, it is worthy of a place in the KZ "Hall of Fame".

May 12, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #55,213 of 63,916
After a couple of days with the KS ZS10 pro, kind of proves to me this price point seemed too good to be true. The brittle upper mid/treble (female vocal) bothers the hell out of me, no matter which tips. Decent low end but too artificial to me.

Is there anything sub £100 that is as smooth as a Westone 4?

May 12, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #55,214 of 63,916
After a couple of days with the KS ZS10 pro, kind of proves to me this price point seemed too good to be true. The brittle upper mid/treble (female vocal) bothers the hell out of me, no matter which tips. Decent low end but too artificial to me.

Not really anything from Knowledge Zenith, unfortunately.

The EARNiNE EN210, Fidue A65 or Akoustyx R-210 might be right up your alley, provided you can somehow get your hands on any of them. I'd especially recommend the EARNiNE.

May 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #55,215 of 63,916

KZ ZAX would be two generations of improvements over ZS10 pro for more refined treble and more contained bass. Read the reviews, and then for ZSX as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back