Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 12, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #55,216 of 63,917
Thanks for your responses guys.

May 12, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #55,217 of 63,917
Just read this on the KAZ review so that`s ruled the out and other variants unfortunately. Exactly what I think about the 10 pro.

I think it is again a local (Europe, Asia etc.) discussion why the highs always have to have this subliminal aggressiveness with KZ. Personally, I'm slowly getting tired of it and long for more relaxation and real quality, instead of always simulating it with an artificial build-up. The trebles have this basic metallic character, which almost always resonates with KZ. You get used to it, but BA drivers can also do differently. The trebles provide a very good transparency and details, but the naturalness is a bit lost. In addition the sibilants are annoying and I can't attest the ZAX a fatigue-free audibility.

May 12, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #55,218 of 63,917
May 12, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #55,219 of 63,917
Does anyone remember the KZ HDS1?
Found my pair at the bottom of a box. I didn't like them at the time and I had forgotten I still had them, but gave them a try with new equipment, namely a Shanling UP4.
Well, they are just lots of fun if -and only if - they are given enough power. In the low gain mode they sound muddy and sloppy, but as the gain goes up (and the volume goes down), the muddiness goes away. They shine the best in dual DAC mode. And they have a really nice soundstage.
This is from a time KZ had great 6mm DDs, and I can only imagine what they could sound like if KZ went to the trouble of tuning them properly, which is what is expected from a IEM brand...
They are also so small and comfy that I am tented to sleep with them for the next few days.
I wanted to insert a photo of them with the UP4, but the image upload tools are not working properly.

May 12, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #55,220 of 63,917
Just read this on the KAZ review so that`s ruled the out and other variants unfortunately. Exactly what I think about the 10 pro.

I think it is again a local (Europe, Asia etc.) discussion why the highs always have to have this subliminal aggressiveness with KZ. Personally, I'm slowly getting tired of it and long for more relaxation and real quality, instead of always simulating it with an artificial build-up. The trebles have this basic metallic character, which almost always resonates with KZ. You get used to it, but BA drivers can also do differently. The trebles provide a very good transparency and details, but the naturalness is a bit lost. In addition the sibilants are annoying and I can't attest the ZAX a fatigue-free audibility.

The general KZ house tuning is V shaped with boosted treble (there are exceptions, but that is the general profile).

If u want something less fatiguing in the treble, you can read about these sets:

1) Final Audio E3000 - needs amping, dark V shaped set. A bit bloated bass but imaging and instrument separation is very good at the sub $50 range. Much better timbral accuracy than the garden variety multi BA/hybrid KZ.
2) BLON BL-03 - harmanish with midbass bump. Fit is an issue, most of us have to use longer nozzle aftermarket tips, but when fitted well, it has super tonality and timbre. Midbass quite bloated and not the best technicalities, but it is an analoguish sounding set for slower genres.
3) iBasso IT00 - U shaped set, massive subbass. Treble not the most pronounced, not too bad technicalities and timbre. Unfortunately has driver flex.

The garden variety multi driver KZs will beat these 3 sets in technicalities like imaging, instrument separation, details. But these 3 single DD sets prioritize timbre/tonality over outright pure technicalities. So depends what u are looking for in your music.

May 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #55,221 of 63,917
Cheers mate, taken a punt on the Fiio FD1 for now (Still have a Fiio `Alpen` amp also)

My problem is that over the years I have heard some decent (expensive) IEM`s and doesn`t make this price range/performance that easy. I am not throwing money at this game anymore so see how this punt goes.

May 12, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #55,222 of 63,917
Cheers mate, taken a punt on the Fiio FD1 for now (Still have a Fiio `Alpen` amp also)

My problem is that over the years I have heard some decent (expensive) IEM`s and doesn`t make this price range/performance that easy. I am not throwing money at this game anymore so see how this punt goes.
The law of diminishing returns hits everyone at different levels. For some it's at $50, some at $100 and some at $1000 or more.

The higher spends IMO should always be made after a demo or trial. Blind buys over $50 is always a hit and a miss.

May 12, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #55,223 of 63,917
So I modded my CCA CST - converted it into mmcx and rotated the nozzle angle. The sound was a bit harsh and peaky with the stock cable and now it is better. Not too impressive thou but not bad at all. The sound is quite warm and inviting just not enough separation.

And this is the current condition of my CSN:

CSN mod 2.jpgCSN mod 3.jpg

May 12, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #55,225 of 63,917
I bought a pair just to see what I can fit in that shell with all the extra space. 10mm planar with a smaller DD for bass, maybe a different BA in that original spot.
The CSN is very decent to start with IMO so you may want to keep the XUN driver there. Speaking of space you can almost put whatever you want inside. I also planned to try replace the KZ 30095 with Knowels 30095 but that will cost more than the IEM, lol.

May 13, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #55,226 of 63,917
The CSN is very decent to start with IMO so you may want to keep the XUN driver there. Speaking of space you can almost put whatever you want inside. I also planned to try replace the KZ 30095 with Knowels 30095 but that will cost more than the IEM, lol.

Mmm, not necessarily, but I will definitely listen before I chop it up.

1) I'll keep the xun drivers but not in that shell
2) I'm in the US and I use superbuy, you can shop on taobao, knowles 30095 or 33518 you can get for less than 15 bucks. Even on aliexpress the 33518 is less than 15 shipped, 30095 is more. So that with a 33518 might be nice, and you can tweak the crossover

May 13, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #55,227 of 63,917
Mmm, not necessarily, but I will definitely listen before I chop it up.

1) I'll keep the xun drivers but not in that shell
2) I'm in the US and I use superbuy, you can shop on taobao, knowles 30095 or 33518 you can get for less than 15 bucks. Even on aliexpress the 33518 is less than 15 shipped, 30095 is more. So that with a 33518 might be nice, and you can tweak the crossover
I bet you have some bad ass modding skills there. Yea I just searched and I probably mixed up with another BA. The 30095s aren't expensive at all. I am quite happy with my current mod already btw!

May 13, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #55,228 of 63,917
After a couple of days with the KS ZS10 pro, kind of proves to me this price point seemed too good to be true. The brittle upper mid/treble (female vocal) bothers the hell out of me, no matter which tips. Decent low end but too artificial to me.

Is there anything sub £100 that is as smooth as a Westone 4?
The only KZ or CCA I would take out of that scenario would have to be the CCA CSN. Is the only tuning I know that is done right for such a cheap cost coming from KZ and the sister company CCA. Nothing artificial or brittle there.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #55,229 of 63,917
The TWS’d XUN unit, KZ Z1 Pro order placed from Aliexpress, will post impression maybe a month later- I will have 3 of KZ TWS, S1D/SKS/Z1Pro for comparative reviews if anyone looking into TWS of KZ.

May 13, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #55,230 of 63,917
The only KZ or CCA I would take out of that scenario would have to be the CCA CSN. Is the only tuning I know that is done right for such a cheap cost coming from KZ and the sister company CCA. Nothing artificial or brittle there.
After a couple of days with the KS ZS10 pro, kind of proves to me this price point seemed too good to be true. The brittle upper mid/treble (female vocal) bothers the hell out of me, no matter which tips. Decent low end but too artificial to me.

Is there anything sub £100 that is as smooth as a Westone 4?
As a Westone 4 owner, you wouldn’t go V-shape IEM like most of KZ’s. I know how westone tune their IEMs. I agree for lower price point, CCA CSN would work, but not as good as W4’s sound. For $sub 30, you can try KBEAR lark (post Oct 2020) for neutral reference.
My recommendation as Westone 4 owner for you, is TRI Starsea, it’s better than Westone 4. My rating for W4 with current grading will be somewhere near 70/100, TRI Starsea will be somewhere between 85-89/100 for sub 100 £.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back