Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 8, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #55,156 of 63,916
IMPORTANT UPDATE ON THE AZ09:

KZ, I hope this is not a QC issue. I don't know why I didn't try it with the STM yesterday, but glad I did today...

I just can't fit the AZ09 with the STM unless forced. The feeling's like trying to jam a key, similar to the correct one, but not meant for that lock? It'll go in and twist, yes. But does it feel right? Trying to remove the connection was a nightmare.

I do think that filing away from the inside to enlarge it will work but I currently do not have the tools for that.

So...

Works flawlessly with DQ6
Fits but not perfectly with T1 Plus
Connects when forced but is scary with STM
That seems to be normal honestly, i have 2 aftermarket 0.78mm straight pin, a cheap nicehck 16 core and a xinhs 8 core.

The nicehck fits like a glove with kz zsx/dq6, blon 01 and nf na2.
But the xinhs was really tough with blon 01 and nf na2.

May 8, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #55,157 of 63,916
That seems to be normal honestly, i have 2 aftermarket 0.78mm straight pin, a cheap nicehck 16 core and a xinhs 8 core.

The nicehck fits like a glove with kz zsx/dq6, blon 01 and nf na2.
But the xinhs was really tough with blon 01 and nf na2.
It's not the pins that's the problem. It's the housing (?) itself of the male QDC.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if the pins itself fit tight.

I'll include pictures in my full review :dt880smile:

May 8, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #55,159 of 63,916
Ahh, ive seen people heat the qdc connector to mold it to the blon rectangular connector, maybe that can help.
Currently don't have the courage to do that until I finish the review. Though I still don't think I'll be brave enough after posting the review 😅🤔

You have a link for that? It got me curious as I have a BL-Mini here as well as the 2021 Au, Ag, Cu cable from KZ.

May 8, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #55,160 of 63,916
Currently don't have the courage to do that until I finish the review. Though I still don't think I'll be brave enough after posting the review 😅🤔

You have a link on that? It got me curious as I have a BL-Mini here as well as the 2021 Au, Ag, Cu cable from KZ.
It was discussed somewhere (probably the blon threat) in headfi dont remember where or when sadly, also saw some aliexpress reviews of cables that were bought with qdc for blon iems and the customer had to heat the sleeve for it to fit.

Cant do it with my blon 01 since i decided to go the more permanent way of just removing plastic from the iem connector to fit qdc.
IMG_20210508_182816.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #55,161 of 63,916
Picture are deceiving.Look how small is KZ A09. Initial thought it was the size of Fiio UTWS3.
20210509_123503.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #55,162 of 63,916
Are you referring to this listing?
1620469155160.png

I noticed that it's a common practice in these stores that instead of creating a new listing, they just add a new option to an existing one.

One way to check which product the review is referring, look at the "color: *****"
1620469235991.png

So far, in my ~15 hours of listening with the AZ09 Bluetooth adapter, there was not a single disconnection nor random delay in sound :beyersmile:

Opening the charging case automatically puts it in pairing mode much like the implementation in the Airpods.

As a weird flex, I'm like 99% sure I'm the first person outside of China to receive the KZ AZ09 😅
Does your source ( phone?)using 5.2 bluetooth chip?

May 9, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #55,163 of 63,916
Does your source ( phone?)using 5.2 bluetooth chip?
Oppo Reno 4. Bluetooth 5.1 capable up to APTX HD. I'm assuming the battery life I'm getting would improve with a device that has Bluetooth 5.2.

Won't be buying a new one as I won that off a raffle during a family celebration and I'm not much of a phone person, most especially in this time of pandemic (what with the lockdowns) 😅😂

Have you tried the AZ09 yet? If so, with what IEMs? I'm curious if my unit's the only one that has the issue with the QDC connection.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #55,164 of 63,916
Oppo Reno 4. Bluetooth 5.1 capable up to APTX HD.

Won't be buying a new one as I won that off a raffle during a family celebration and I'm not much of a phone person, most especially in this time of pandemic (what with the lockdowns) 😅😂

Have you tried the AZ09 yet? If so, with what IEMs? I'm curious if my unit's the only one that has the issue with the QDC connection.
Yes , for $27 is a steal. More comfortable then TRN & Fiio due to its featherweight lightness. SQ is better then TRN, noise level same as Fiio but lesser sounstaging. Did you enable performance mode?😊
20210509_134002.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #55,167 of 63,916
It's actually available for 16 USD on Shopee on most stores.

I much prefer high performance/low latency mode over standard. Delay is noticeable with the latter on media consumption. A fair tradeoff of ~2 hours for that low latency.

Nice 😂

Wait... is yours actually like that? The ZAX pointing the opposite direction? Mine looks like this and I tested it with "Hello, Anxiety" and L-R is correct.

IMG20210507123041.jpg

Oh ***. I'm panicking right now. Charge indicator doesn't light up when I try plugging it in. Yesterday it was working just fine. Draining the AZ09 to check if it will still charge... Will update you guys within an hour.
No, i fit it wrongly when picture is taken!😄

May 9, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #55,168 of 63,916
I was thinking of TRI I3 as a planar to try/experience (now with two pins and $120 deals it is seriously tempting though I hardly need another IEM to add to 55+...).

How does I3 compare to SFR MT300 and piezo hybrids/tribrids in terms of detail retrieval and coherence?

The TRI I3 is not really a pure planar, as the planars inside it just handle the mids (The DD handles the bass and the BA handles the treble).
So considering it is a weird mishmash of 1 DD + 1 planar + 1 BA, it is very coherent, U shaped tuning, rather smooth and bassy.
The TRI I3 is bordering on dark in the treble, and I think you are a treblehead, so that is just something to take note of. There's a 3 kHz peak (I consider this upper mids) that can be jarring at louder volumes (Fletcher Munson Curve) or in poorly recorded music, but by and large it is quite an inoffensive tuning. Bass is one level shy of basshead levels in quantity. So by and large, it is rather coherent in tuning, compared to some other multi driver CHIFI types I've heard that have too slow bass DD compared to treble BA, or those with obvious crossover points.

TRI I3 needs amping though, cause of the planars, sounds meh from lower powered sources. When amped, the planar mids are thick and lush and the soundstage is very big in height and depth for this $100 price bracket.

The shells are also large and heavy, so I do get discomfort with them for longer usages.

If I compare it against other piezos that I have eg LZ A7, the TRI I3 won't beat them in terms of pure detail retrieval, as we discussed the treble is darkish so there's some loss of micro details there. Piezos generally have a lot of air and treble extension, but they tend to have poor timbral accuracy if not tuned properly. TRI I3 is more towards an analoguish smooth tuning with rolled off treble.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #55,169 of 63,916
Oppo Reno 4. Bluetooth 5.1 capable up to APTX HD. I'm assuming the battery life I'm getting would improve with a device that has Bluetooth 5.2.

1620552384540.png

https://audio46.com/blogs/headphones/bluetooth-5-1-vs-5-2

Probably wont be any difference actually, since you would need the new LC3 codec which I dont think that TWS has.

May 9, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #55,170 of 63,916

Users who are viewing this thread

Back