Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 4, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #53,491 of 64,156
Driver flex killed a handful of my early KZ models (HDS3, ED3 and an ED10) way back in 2015 just prior to KZ's meteoric rise. The flexing would occur and the volume would drop 80 - 90%. Unfortunately, it just got worse over time so replacements were necessary.

I have problem with my T2+ that volume drop on Left side because it's so much suction. Can it be the driver flex too? Despite it not make crack/crinkling sound?
I thought my left ear the problem, but switching to my trusty edm genre iem the ZSN Pro, it's the T2+ has the problem.
Should i make replacement?

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #53,492 of 64,156
I have problem with my T2+ that volume drop on Left side because it's so much suction. Can it be the driver flex too? Despite it not make crack/crinkling sound?
I thought my left ear the problem, but switching to my trusty edm genre iem the ZSN Pro, it's the T2+ has the problem.

If it were me I would get them replaced. Things could get worse over time. Two of my aforementioned in-ears did not make the crinkling sound but the volume did drop as the suction pressure changed and they did need to be replaced.

Glad I replaced them. I still enjoy all three earphones today because I got them replaced.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #53,493 of 64,156
Closing vents usually results in driver flex, right? In what ways does it affect the sound when driver flex occurs?

I bet you were trying to ask how it affects the sound theoretically? Because driver flex is not the reason. I'm not a technician but afaik, low frequencies usually create way more pressure than anything above. It has something to do with the wave length. When you're closing the vents port, pressure builds up inside the earphone and then leaves right into your ear. That is probably how it works.

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #53,494 of 64,156

It may or may not be driver flex.

Other possibilities for intermittent sound cut out are:

1) Tin T2 Plus has famous (or rather infamous) QC issues with their MMCX, just see the forums. My set is affected too, it spins like a weather vane at the MMCX and this can cause intermittent sound cut out. Have u tried another cable with it? If it spins too loosely, u can be adventerous and try to splay open the female side MMCX (do at your own risk), or just send it back.

2) Another less common cause of intermittent sound cut out is due to moisture build up in nozzles of some IEMs (with longer listening sessions), infamous in the TRN BA5, LZ A6, LZ A6 Mini. For these cases, u gotta dry the nozzles or just use it for shorter sessions, kind of a design issue due to the mesh properties at the nozzle.

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #53,495 of 64,156
If it were me I would get them replaced. Things could get worse over time. Two of my aforementioned in-ears did not make the crinkling sound but the volume did drop as the suction pressure changed and they did need to be replaced.

Glad I replaced them. I still enjoy all three earphones today because I got them replaced.

Ugh.. So unlucky.
I never have problem before buying chi-fi product from KZ ZSN, ZSNPro, ZS10Pro even dongle like Sonata HD Pro and some cable.
Will contact the seller tho since it still have warranty product.

It may or may not be driver flex.

Other possibilities for intermittent sound cut out are:

1) Tin T2 Plus has famous (or rather infamous) QC issues with their MMCX, just see the forums. My set is affected too, it spins like a weather vane at the MMCX and this can cause intermittent sound cut out. Have u tried another cable with it? If it spins too loosely, u can be adventerous and try to splay open the female side MMCX (do at your own risk), or just send it back.

2) Another less common cause of intermittent sound cut out is due to moisture build up in nozzles of some IEMs (with longer listening sessions), infamous in the TRN BA5, LZ A6, LZ A6 Mini. For these cases, u gotta dry the nozzles or just use it for shorter sessions, kind of a design issue due to the mesh properties at the nozzle.

I think so it may or not because of.
But..
1.) When i try swivel the problem side of earpice mmcx, it nothing happen. I dont have any spare mmcx cable tho to check this. And the mmcx is not loosely it's even firmly attached.

2.) This is what i suspect too. But it happen even when i first minute listening after a long time rotation from another iem. But, how to check this?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #53,496 of 64,156
Ugh.. So unlucky.
I never have problem before buying chi-fi product from KZ ZSN, ZSNPro, ZS10Pro even dongle like Sonata HD Pro and some cable.
Will contact the seller tho since it have guarantee product.

I think so it may or not because of.
But..
1.) When i try swivel the problem side of earpice mmcx, it nothing happen. I dont have any spare mmcx cable tho to check this. And the mmcx is not loosely it's even firmly attached.

2.) This is what i suspect too. But it happen even when i first minute after long time rotation from another iem. But, how to check this?

I haven't heard of Tin T2 Plus having a moisture condensation issue, so it is probably less likely. But u can try putting the IEM in a bag of rice overnight, or put it in a container with dessicants. Or best still, just return it for a refund/warranty if possible.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #53,497 of 64,156
Just curious, has anyone shown any interest in either of these two new models yet?

20210103_215526.jpg

That would be me, ordered CKX on the last day of last year! Was intrigued by the new KZ shell (appears to be full metal) and looks to have regular-sized nozzles. Worth a punt for a 7-transducer-per-side IEM around the price of ZAX ($60+).

Jan 4, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #53,498 of 64,156
I haven't heard of Tin T2 Plus having a moisture condensation issue, so it is probably less likely. But u can try putting the IEM in a bag of rice overnight, or put it in a container with dessicants. Or best still, just return it for a refund/warranty if possible.

It's confirmed by my wife and lil brother ears that this iem is imbalance. Will ship for replacement warranty, love how the T2Plus sounds and it's sidegrade from KZ's.

Thanks for answering sir :beerchug:

Jan 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #53,499 of 64,156
Received KZ DQ6 just now :) The shell is almost same size as CCA CA16 and not as big as KZ ASX/ASF. Overall really nice build for the price. Will listen to them later and share my 2p :)

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #53,501 of 64,156
Got in touch with KZ through AliExpress asking if the Z1 Pro is carrying the same XUN driver as the normal Z1 - just got the short but clear answer "yes.".
Looks interesting; nice find!

2 things I noticed:

The XUN seems to be gone, and replaced with a different driver. At least, this is the impression I got from the Z1 Pro marketing literature. This is unfortunate, because it was what made the original Z1 special.

8A178B42-23F9-4BD0-ACF1-DB0B9FC6C10C.jpeg

The Z1 Pro battery life is still listed at 2 hours (same as the regular Z1):

29F1A8AC-246E-42DA-B8A8-D9725F4889BE.jpeg

9433025E-9C80-4777-B92F-6218CE0F7127.jpeg

Perhaps when using the Z1 Pro with a phone equipped with Bluetooth 5.2 (Qualcomm FastConnect 6700 and 6900), the battery life will be greater than 2 hours?

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #53,503 of 64,156
My thoughts are now on DQ6. Is this an evolution or is it just another one with an artificial KZ signature?

It's definitely an upgrade, the tuning is pretty smooth without piercing mid or high frequencies, with a pronounced mid and subbass. Way more mature then many other KZ IEMs, I definataly didn't expect that.

In comparison to the EDX: the EDX is only listenable for me with the Comply TX400 foams with wax guard filter, as it dampens the most piercing frequencies.
With the DQ6, even at very high volumes, i didn't have a feeling, that the highs or mids are too much.

All in all, it's definately an upgrade to the EDX tuning wise, when you like more smooth and mature tuning.

On the other hand, the DQ6 sounds due the more mature tuning less "fun" and engaging, i find them personally lil bit boring. It's nothing wow like, it doesn't really stand out compared to my other IEMs.

The biggest minus point for me, is the fit: the nozzle is pretty short and thin, so it doesn't instert deep enough in my ear. Due the thin nozzle, my comply T400 foams doesn't fit, as they are too big. Only with longer silicone nozzles from other IEMs (the included ones are ridiculously short), I could achieve a good seal, but it never felt really secure enough, for more spirited walking for example.

Compared to the Tiandirenhe TD06: The fit on the TD06 is superb compared to DQ6, much longer and anatomic shaped nozzle, no issues with fit on the TD06. TD06 is much bassier with a rumbling subbass, with harsher mids, but with a wider soundstage. I thought the TD06 had a narrow soundstage, but the DQ6 are even narrower. For my music taste (EDM), the TD06 wins without a doubt 😊

IMG_20210104_180608.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #53,504 of 64,156
My thoughts are now on DQ6. Is this an evolution or is it just another one with an artificial KZ signature?

No, this is different again. I've just set mine up and put literally the first pair of tips I could find that fit my ears on to them. Meant to listen quickly, ended up listening for a couple of hours.
Straight out of the box they sound better than my EDXs do with an aftermarket cable and tips that are more expensive than the EDX itself.
Natural timbre, a gentle lift in the treble and bass over neutral and small soundstage but good detail retrieval are my first impressions. I prefer this to any CCA or KZ numberwang hybrid models I've heard.
Its only real issue is that it's launching into a VERY saturated market, competing with the Blon BL01 and BL03 for starters in the pure DD stakes, plus any one of a number of hybrids also around for the price.
It is easy to drive though, highish impedance of 24 ohms but 112db sensitivity means it will play nicely with a phone. This is important for anyone considering it vs the BL01 which is much harder to drive

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #53,505 of 64,156
While I'm at it, I might as well rattle off my headphones, too:
Koss A130, Sennheiser HD520-ii, Sennheiser HD598, Sennheiser HD518, Shure SRH840, Monoprice 8323, Sennheiser HD202, Grado SR80e, Sennheiser HD600, Bang & Olufsen H6, OPPO PM-3, Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7, Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, Philips Fidelio L2, Philips Fidelio X2, Koss PortaPro, Koss/Massdrop PortaPro X, Monoprice PHP1169, Monolith M1060 Planar, Sennheiser HD598cs, Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx, HiFiMan / Massdrop HE4xx, Monoprice BT-300ANC, Stax L700mk2 + D10 amp, 1More Triple Driver Headphone, Koss KPH30i
I cant find much information about the HD520 I or II floating around, just wondering what your impressions of them are, and how these compare with the HD600?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back