Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 3, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #53,476 of 63,827
Thanks for this! I'm looking to replace my TRN V90 as I cannot stand the too much V-sound sig of it. I might go with both iems as I think I can use them the way I interchange my use of Blon-01, Blon-03 and ZAX 😅 - that way I can assign a specific weeks of usage for each (just trying to counter the rabbit hole argument 😅)

say, which one better between Blon-01 and Blon-03? My DQ6 money suppose to be used for one of those, but got tempted by KZ multi dynamic which are supposed to be more "rounded" in sq.

At this rate, we might as well be producing our own 3D-printed KZ replacement nozzles. Different size and filter holes count!
There could be a worldwide market of 3 customers!

Hmmm....... :)

EDIT:
Think I'm done "tuning" DQ6 into something I'm happy to live with. Qudelix 5K (2.5mm) >> TRN T3 silver cable >> Starline tips. Decent highs, slightly warm mids and a bass that's always ready to steal the show! :)

uuh... All of my cable are 2 pin 0.78 and my tips are widebore (for my TFZ), basically cannot be used for KZ DQ6. :sweat:

I tempted to try to force my 0.78 into DQ6 but i'm afraid i'm gonna ruin the cable fitting.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #53,477 of 63,827
uuh... All of my cable are 2 pin 0.78 and my tips are widebore (for my TFZ), basically cannot be used for KZ DQ6. :sweat:

I tempted to try to force my 0.78 into DQ6 but i'm afraid i'm gonna ruin the cable fitting.
Yah, the normal-sized wide bores spins around the thin nozzles quite easily.
There's not much difference between 0.75mm to 0.78mm pins. For testing, don't push the pins flush; if you are worried about ruining them (it shouldn't)

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #53,478 of 63,827
Yah, the normal-sized wide bores spins around the thin nozzles quite easily.
There's not much difference between 0.75mm to 0.78mm pins. For testing, don't push the pins flush; if you are worried about ruining them (it shouldn't)

ok, a mild push manage to fit my Yin*oo 0.78 (i genuinely forgot what cable this suppose to be) into the DQ6... the SQ change quite significantly.
It get warmer. sounds, vocal especially get thicker. It feels the sounds blends together, but the clarity feels lowered.

I'll try with my other cable but i need to find it first. and my most tips spins freely on this thin nozzle...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #53,479 of 63,827
say, which one better between Blon-01 and Blon-03? My DQ6 money suppose to be used for one of those, but got tempted by KZ multi dynamic which are supposed to be more "rounded" in sq.

I would suggest to check the separate thread for it as there had been some several debate on 01 vs. 03. In the meantime, i like the shell fitting of the ZAX thus, I'm hoping that AS12 and BA10 will fit just fine on my ears 😅

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #53,481 of 63,827
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #53,482 of 63,827
I would suggest to check the separate thread for it as there had been some several debate on 01 vs. 03. In the meantime, i like the shell fitting of the ZAX thus, I'm hoping that AS12 and BA10 will fit just fine on my ears 😅

Be sure to review all of the BA10 reviews at your disposal. Fitment has been an issue for some and not others. If you have small ears you may have an issue. Also, in order to get deeper insertion it is recommended that you cut the collar off of a set of any unused eartips you may have at home and use the collar as a stopgap. Podster does this for better extension. It keeps the BA10 corner hotspots from touching the ear.

BA10 Reviews:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ba10-knowledge-zenith.23310/reviews

https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/kz-ba10-review-2998/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/primeaudio.org/kz-ba10-review/amp/

YouTubers

Some reviewers find that the AS10 and BA10 sound similar but not the same.
I mention this because the AS10 fit is very similar to the AS12 fit. PhonoPhi may be able to shed some light on fitment and sound signature comparisons between the BA10 and AS10 and maybe even the AS10 and AS12.

There are those that really hate the BA10 and those of us that really love the BA10.

You'll have to trust your own ears on this one.

Please, let us know your findings if you pick up a set. In particular, it would be great to hear your feedback on the BA10's dynamic-like lower frequencies.

It's hard to believe that a balanced armature is delivering with such weight and fullness.

My BA10 set-up.

20210103_095339.jpg

I swapped faceplates on my BA10.
20210103_094318.jpg

51lkQHkqoHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I trimmed the shroud of these QDC connectors with a razor blade so they would sit flush the way the original connectors sit.

61rt3LNnBPL._SX522_-1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #53,483 of 63,827
Hi, I was hoping to get some more recommendations for IEMs. I have KZ ate and CCA C12. I love the C12 with the gold/silver cable and symbio w tips. I have low frequency hearing loss in my left ear so I like a warm sound and narrow soundstage otherwise the bass is only in the right ear and the treble to harsh in my left. I have a pair of sennheiser momentum 2 over ears which I can no longer use as the soundstage is too wide. Music is mainly country, some rock and hip hop. These will be used with a LG V50.

Thanks

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #53,484 of 63,827
I was looking through the AutoEQ github page and I saw this:
1609699987299.png

What are ZS6 (close) and ZS6 (open)?

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #53,485 of 63,827
Be sure to review all of the BA10 reviews at your disposal. Fitment has been an issue for some and not others. If you have small ears you may have an issue. Also, in order to get deeper insertion it is recommended that you cut the collar off of a set of any unused eartips you may have at home and use the collar as a stopgap. Podster does this for better extension. It keeps the BA10 corner hotspots from touching the ear.

BA10 Reviews:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-ba10-knowledge-zenith.23310/reviews

https://www.soundphilereview.com/reviews/kz-ba10-review-2998/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/primeaudio.org/kz-ba10-review/amp/

YouTubers

Some reviewers find that the AS10 and BA10 sound similar but not the same.
I mention this because the AS10 fit is very similar to the AS12 fit. PhonoPhi may be able to shed some light on fitment and sound signature comparisons between the BA10 and AS10 and maybe even the AS10 and AS12.

There are those that really hate the BA10 and those of us that really love the BA10.

You'll have to trust your own ears on this one.

Please, let us know your findings if you pick up a set. In particular, it would be great to hear your feedback on the BA10's dynamic-like lower frequencies.

It's hard to believe that a balanced armature is delivering with such weight and fullness.

My BA10 set-up.

20210103_095339.jpg

I swapped faceplates on my BA10.
20210103_094318.jpg
51lkQHkqoHL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I trimmed the shroud of these QDC connectors with a razor blade so they would sit flush the way the original connectors sit.

61rt3LNnBPL._SX522_-1.jpg

Thanks for the advise! Yes, I've made similar mod with Blon-01 due to short stem and terrible shell fit. If the length of the stem from the base is the same with the ZAX, then I think it will fit on stock config, but will utilize the mod if the edges becomes to bothersome XD.

Will wait for Shopee sale as I've been planning to buy NM2+, AS12 and B10, each set will have a week of use so I can draw some conclusion and share it here 🍻

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #53,486 of 63,827
I was looking through the AutoEQ github page and I saw this:
1609699987299.png
What are ZS6 (close) and ZS6 (open)?
Basically, zs6(open) is their standard variant, zs6(close) is a variant where you close the vent ports on the shell with something(duct tape for example or anything else), usually, it improves the bass frequencies but it also has some side effects. It depends on what you're trying to get from them. You're free to any experiments though.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #53,487 of 63,827
I have done some serious tip rolling with my ASX yesterday, and I must admit, that I can't listen to them with other one than with ePro. In first moment I doesn't know what happed.. I didn't recognise that sound changed as much. So.. sound was TOO thick/bold and with TOO much weight and everything was TOO technic. When I have back to them everything was fine again.
ePro isn't ideal because these short and thin nozzles are not perfectly fiting to sleeve of tip.. but sound wise everything have normal timbre and weight..
So I can't recommend ASX for anybody without ePro tips - this time this is only cure for those. If somebody bought Asx and you cannot listen to them you should to try it.
With Asf it isn't so dificult, normal tips works well.

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #53,488 of 63,827
Basically, zs6(open) is their standard variant, zs6(close) is a variant where you close the vent ports on the shell with something(duct tape for example or anything else), usually, it improves the bass frequencies but it also has some side effects. It depends on what you're trying to get from them. You're free to any experiments though.
Closing vents usually results in driver flex, right? In what ways does it affect the sound when driver flex occurs?

Jan 4, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #53,489 of 63,827
Closing vents usually results in driver flex, right? In what ways does it affect the sound when driver flex occurs?

U here a crinkling sound (like a plastic wrapper being crumpled) when inserting the IEM to your ear.

There's lots of speculation whether driver flex can damage the driver. I've written in to a few manufacturers, they claim driver flex won't harm the driver. But I've seen a few anecdotal reports on audio forums that their IEM driver died after a bad case of driver flex.

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #53,490 of 63,827
Will wait for Shopee sale as I've been planning to buy NM2+, AS12 and B10, each set will have a week of use so I can draw some conclusion and share it here 🍻

Looking forward to your feedback.

U here a crinkling sound (like a plastic wrapper being crumpled) when inserting the IEM to your ear.

There's lots of speculation whether driver flex can damage the driver. I've written in to a few manufacturers, they claim driver flex won't harm the driver. But I've seen a few anecdotal reports on audio forums that their IEM driver died after a bad case of driver flex.

Driver flex killed a handful of my early KZ models (HDS3, ED3 and an ED10) way back in 2015 just prior to KZ's meteoric rise. The flexing would occur and the volume would drop 80 - 90%. Unfortunately, it just got worse over time so replacements were necessary.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch

DQ6.gif

I didn't catch this earlier but I should have.

When ordering my DQ6 I opted for both colors (silver and gray).

20210103_213006.jpg

20210103_212945.jpg

You'll have to search for the seller that offers the DQ6 with the copper QDC cable. I forget which one it was.

Apparently, a black DQ6 is also being offered.

20210103_212922.jpg

VERY COOL!

Still waiting for my first two sets to arrive and I'm not sure which color will get the PhonoPhi nozzle mod but, yes, my third DQ6 will definitely be in black.

Just curious, has anyone shown any interest in either of these two new models yet?

20210103_215526.jpg

20210103_215745.jpg

and lastly, a note to KZ/CCA:

Please release an AS12 Pro (same exact tuning and nozzles but install the "s" model BAs. To my ears it is the only improvement that is necessary.

Thank you for monitoring this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back