Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #53,462 of 63,797
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #53,463 of 63,797
Just read through with the previous pages, and I got curious with BA10 and AS12. I'm currently satisfied with ZAX using a Nicechk Litzocc 4N cable and Xelastec tips.

Just want to know if those 2 will have a noticeable upgrade or just a sidegrade flavor that can be used depending on the mood 🤔😅

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #53,464 of 63,797
As far as the difference between v1 and v2, the big difference is the treble tuning was changed sometime in 2019 (ie ZS6 v2).

The v2 sounds totally different than all my other ZS6 v1. I don’t like the v2 sound at all. In trying to tone down the treble, KZ just made it way too distant and dark and closed in sounding.

Unfortunately, it is the same with the ZSR.

The ZSRv1 was tuned properly the first time, IMO.
The ZSRv2 is also "way too distant and dark and closed in sounding."

Initial impression (KZ DQ6) as i'm used to my TFZ
- Soundstage is a bit cramped, in some more busy song the sound is a bit playing over another instead of beside another

I do plan on swapping to a wider nozzle on one of my DQ6 so I'll find out if the stage presentation can be improved for the better or addressed with a PhonoPhi nozzle mod.

Those cables in the top two rows are top notch eye candy.

Just read through with the previous pages, and I got curious with BA10 and AS12. I'm currently satisfied with ZAX using a Nicechk Litzocc 4N cable and Xelastec tips.

Just want to know if those 2 will have a noticeable upgrade or just a sidegrade flavor that can be used depending on the mood 🤔😅

....and this is how it all begins.

1_7LzhJXDIubcYIOzWKBRaMA.jpeg.jpg

I don't own the ZAX, which is supposed to be an upgrade from the ZSX which was supposed to be an upgrade of the ZS10 Pro which I do have.

What I can tell you is that the BA10 and the AS12 are both uncommonly good for $70 give or take. The two models are also decidedly different despite both being all-BA models from KZ.

If I had to describe the BA10 in one word that word would be "chilled".

If I had to describe the AS12 in one word that word would be "clean".

Chilled in a "laid back" way and clean in a "does everything exceptionally well" way.

Don't misunderstand me though. The BA10 is also clean, it's just that its warmth is equally one of the BA10's defining characteristics. Warm and clean isn't easy to pull off for a sub-$100 all-BA offering but the BA10 does this very well.

The AS12 is more like the musician or vocalist that has been practicing for years and years. When the big day comes and it's time to perform they simply hit every note with ease as if it is second nature to them.

Nevertheless, to my ears, they are so different that I can not swap from the BA10 to the AS12 or the AS12 to the BA10 without it being a jarring experience. That'll just make your head explode so you'll need plenty of duct tape if you get both models.

That said, at the very least the BA10 and AS12 are equals.

To my ears and with my gear the AS12 levels things up a bit.

Going back through the thread only a handful of us have commented on the AS12 so I thought it best to provide some info since I own them.

What happens next is all too common in these parts.

alice-in-wonderland-classic-disney-24501729-430-314-1.gif

Don't say you weren't warned.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #53,465 of 63,797

Wow, I was unaware that the ZSR has been retuned.

What is up with KZ going back and retuning all of these old models?

And if they spend time and effort to retune it, why not at least advertise it somehow so people are aware of it and can try the new version? I just don’t understand their logic

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #53,466 of 63,797

Hmm, I don't know. Seems rather large for Rabbit :smirk:

I also concur on the cable eye candy, I went thru that whole cable phase with those!

KZ TRN ParTey.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #53,467 of 63,797
I do plan on swapping to a wider nozzle on one of my DQ6 so I'll find out if the stage presentation can be improved for the better or addressed with a PhonoPhi nozzle mod.

At this rate, we might as well be producing our own 3D-printed KZ replacement nozzles. Different size and filter holes count!
There could be a worldwide market of 3 customers!

Hmmm....... :)

EDIT:
Think I'm done "tuning" DQ6 into something I'm happy to live with. Qudelix 5K (2.5mm) >> TRN T3 silver cable >> Starline tips. Decent highs, slightly warm mids and a bass that's always ready to steal the show! :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #53,469 of 63,797
can anybody help me with a cable around $10 for kz zsx that I use with fiio m3k?
I'm confused with silver only and gold +silver and copper + silver and just copper.
The KZ gold/silver colour cable, I recently found out, made DQ6 sound warmer vs the regular stock white cable (I think it's silver-plated). Not tried the rest.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #53,470 of 63,797
Wow, I was unaware that the ZSR has been retuned.

What is up with KZ going back and retuning all of these old models?

And if they spend time and effort to retune it, why not at least advertise it somehow so people are aware of it and can try the new version? I just don’t understand their logic

It was a huge disappointment when all of the backup ZSRs I ordered had a different tuning than my original set. I was so disappointed. The v1 had the perfect amount of top end air and low end kick with a fairly good midrange. The v2 has lost the air. KZ dialed back the treble while thickening the bass. It's too slow and overwhelming. The ZSRv1 sounds like the ED16 with a much wider soundstage despite the ZSR's slight increase to its midbass punch. Unfortunately, while the ED16 is a very good in-ear, I prefer the ZSRv1 for its wider soundstage and thicker low end tuning. After my disappointment I actually had to order the last few ED16s available on Amazon so I could get as close to the ZSRv1 sound signature as possible. I can EQ them for midbass punch but the ZSRv1's super wide soundstage is reigned in on the ED16. The ZSRv2's wide soundstage is present but the presentation sounds veiled and dark in comparison.

IMO, KZ retuned the ZSR due to criticism in some reviews about the upper treble. Crinacle's graphs show a ridiculous spike at approximately 8khz but the treble on my ZSRv1 doesn't sound anywhere near that peaky. Anyway, when KZ retuned the ZSR they ruined it. My three backup ZSR's were a total of $75 (still have them). I should have returned them but I thought that perhaps I could open up a set and see if it's possible for me to work around KZ's neurotic behavior. Problem is my reluctance to risk damaging the only set of v1's I own.

It took a while but I've gotten over it because the BA10 and AS12 have superior tuning but the $75 could have gone towards a third BA10 or a handful of upgrade cables.

This is why I order multiple sets when they release something interesting. They typically, but not always, tune things right the first time (ZS1, ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR). Later, in an attempt to please everyone, they ruin not only the tuning but the very thing that made the model so entertaining.

One ZSRv1 and a few ED16s is plenty since they all work flawlessly and I only use them intermittently but the maladjusted tuning or any re-tuning without warning is simply unacceptable.

Still looking forward to the DQ6 and whatever else they may have on the drawing board.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:15 AM Post #53,471 of 63,797
Jan 3, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #53,472 of 63,797
This is why I order multiple sets when they release something interesting. They typically, but not always, tune things right the first time (ZS1, ZS5, ZS6 and ZSR). Later, in an attempt to please everyone, they ruin not only the tuning but the very thing that made the model so entertaining.
It's also my habit to order a spare set whenever I hear something I like. I had ordered 2 x C10 months apart; the first one was darker sounding while the second one was slightly more trebly, even after months of playing. So now, I order a second IEM quite quickly after the first one.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #53,474 of 63,797
Do switching cables really make a difference in sound? As long as its conductive shouldn't it make no difference in sound?
Hi, I haven't used OFC or SPC cables in a long time. I'm not interested in resistance, but in sound and their performance isn't sufficient for me. Bass is muddy, mids are thin and treble hasn't nice high-end sparkle.

OCC cables, even 6N aren't expensive anymore and if you try one, you will be revarded with deep and fast bass, warmer and detailed mids, extended airy treble.
SPOC cables are good for earphones with darker sounding treble, like as10 (and maybe ASF/X), because they shift sound to the brighter tone.

... these are general findings that I have observed from several sources.

Jan 3, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #53,475 of 63,797

Those cables in the top two rows are top notch eye candy.

1_7LzhJXDIubcYIOzWKBRaMA.jpeg.jpg

I don't own the ZAX, which is supposed to be an upgrade from the ZSX which was supposed to be an upgrade of the ZS10 Pro which I do have.

What I can tell you is that the BA10 and the AS12 are both uncommonly good for $70 give or take. The two models are also decidedly different despite both being all-BA models from KZ.

If I had to describe the BA10 in one word that word would be "chilled".

If I had to describe the AS12 in one word that word would be "clean".

Chilled in a "laid back" way and clean in a "does everything exceptionally well" way.

Don't misunderstand me though. The BA10 is also clean, it's just that its warmth is equally one of the BA10's defining characteristics. Warm and clean isn't easy to pull off for a sub-$100 all-BA offering but the BA10 does this very well.

The AS12 is more like the musician or vocalist that has been practicing for years and years. When the big day comes and it's time to perform they simply hit every note with ease as if it is second nature to them.

Nevertheless, to my ears, they are so different that I can not swap from the BA10 to the AS12 or the AS12 to the BA10 without it being a jarring experience. That'll just make your head explode so you'll need plenty of duct tape if you get both models.

That said, at the very least the BA10 and AS12 are equals.

To my ears and with my gear the AS12 levels things up a bit.

Going back through the thread only a handful of us have commented on the AS12 so I thought it best to provide some info since I own them.

What happens next is all too common in these parts.

alice-in-wonderland-classic-disney-24501729-430-314-1.gif

Thanks for this! I'm looking to replace my TRN V90 as I cannot stand the too much V-sound sig of it. I might go with both iems as I think I can use them the way I interchange my use of Blon-01, Blon-03 and ZAX 😅 - that way I can assign a specific weeks of usage for each (just trying to counter the rabbit hole argument 😅)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back