Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 16, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #51,031 of 64,190
So, compared to the MH755, the EDX is quite a bit punchier with similar levels of detail except in the mids which are a bit recessed. MH755 vocals are more natural and forward, though deeper baritone male voices aren't so affected.
Blon BL01 is better all round really though it's harder to drive and almost completely unobtainable now so that's moot. Though I must say extension at the low end and punch in the mid bass is better with the EDX.
ED9 has more detail and a much better soundstage but sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. To be honest I never got on that well with the ED9.
ZST X is just better. More neutral tuning and better detail. Much bigger soundstage. Similarly easy to drive and punchy. In my opinion unless cash is super, super tight the ZST X is the better purchase.
It's good to see KZ release a DD IEM again, and it's a solid performer in my opinion. It doesn't make me want to throw my Blon BL03s away, but for what it costs it's definitely up there with the best available for the money. The real weakness is the upper mid range sounding thin and dry. The soundstage isn't massive, more Blon BL03 size.

TL:DR
It's good, but not a classic.
I just received the EDX literally an hour ago and I must say, for the price it really sounds good. Imo it would be an upgrade for the KZ ZS3 which also features 1DD. Compared it to ZSN PRO and it sounds really close! I would rec this as a starter set for people who just join in this hobby. And my observations are really similar to your review so I don't think I need to add much 😂

Sep 16, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #51,033 of 64,190
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #51,034 of 64,190
I hadn't noticed this previously, but my ZAX right earpiece was unfortunately the recipient of a cosmetic imperfection (early batch issue?), wherein the vents on the face plate weren't quite machined perfectly:

So I took a small metal file to it and tried to clean things up. The result is subtle and it's still not quite perfect, but I feel better now :)

Are the vents real or cosmetic? Damn this is the most sexy looking set I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for matte black.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #51,035 of 64,190
Just seen in a reply from to a comment on BAGGAR's youtube ZAX review, he rates ZS10 PRO above ZAX. Didn't see that coming, guess he really loves that CA16 treble tuning. He seems to know his onions.... First impressions seem to point to the ZAX being what the C12 was to the ZSX in terms of treble, except the ZAX has the 10mm DD vs CA16 7mm so ZAX may have more sub bass like the ZSX had compared to C12....,
All speculation and I'm sure there will be an influx of people receiving theirs shortly that will give the general consensus....
Personally I really want them to shine as the CA16 sound signature sounds like a breath of fresh air in the KZ output, the ZAX brings a great aesthetic.
I hope the two can marry into one earphone :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #51,036 of 64,190
Just seen in a reply from to a comment on BAGGAR's youtube ZAX review, he rates ZS10 PRO above ZAX. Didn't see that coming, guess he really loves that CA16 treble tuning. He seems to know his onions.... First impressions seem to point to the ZAX being what the C12 was to the ZSX in terms of treble, except the ZAX has the 10mm DD vs CA16 7mm so ZAX may have more sub bass like the ZSX had compared to C12....,
All speculation and I'm sure there will be an influx of people receiving theirs shortly that will give the general consensus....
Personally I really want them to shine as the CA16 sound signature sounds like a breath of fresh air in the KZ output, the ZAX brings a great aesthetic.
I hope the two can marry into one earphone :)
If BGGR states that the best music that he have heard at the concerts is through "dynamic drivers", it puts immediate heavy bias for the bass vs. treble, so him rating CA16 above ZAX is hardly surprising.

CA16 is the successful continuation of C10 tuning, rather than "surprising success" of KZ/CCA to me.

Now, for me CA10 pro is a slight upgrade of ZS10 pro by virtue of more defined crisp bass, but it is quite close, so opinions can differ.

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #51,037 of 64,190
If BGGR states that the best music that he have heard at the concerts is through "dynamic drivers", it puts immediate heavy bias for the bass vs. treble, so him rating CA16 above ZAX is hardly surprising.

CA16 is the successful continuation of C10 tuning, rather than "surprising success" of KZ/CCA to me.

Now, for me CA10 pro is a slight upgrade of ZS10 pro by virtue of more defined crisp bass, but it is quite close, so opinions can differ.

jusf as he would give more points to beryllium based drivers. the good thing is he knows full well of his subjective bias and admits it, so it's just up to the viewers to factor that to the overall review

Sep 16, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #51,038 of 64,190
the good thing is he knows full well of his subjective bias and admits it, so it's just up to the viewers to factor that to the overall review
Exactly!!

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:08 PM Post #51,039 of 64,190
jusf as he would give more points to beryllium based drivers. the good thing is he knows full well of his subjective bias and admits it, so it's just up to the viewers to factor that to the overall review
In your example of "beryllium-based drivers", do reviews really distinguish them by their sound or just what is written/advertised ?
Also, admitting the bias is far from removing it
Some reviewers even developed their special gestures "good, but good for KZ", I would so love seeing them blind testing their IEMs!

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #51,040 of 64,190
Just received my ZAX today and so far they sound great. A little more bass than ZS10 Pro, which I like. But my biggest problem, other than spending too much on KZ IEMs, is that I need better ear tips! All large sizes, both silicone and foam, are not big enough. I recently tried the Tennmaks and they are not big enough. I’m not picky about silicone vs foam I just need some XL sized tips. Please help. 😩

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #51,041 of 64,190
Just received my ZAX today and so far they sound great. A little more bass than ZS10 Pro, which I like. But my biggest problem, other than spending too much on KZ IEMs, is that I need better ear tips! All large sizes, both silicone and foam, are not big enough. I recently tried the Tennmaks and they are not big enough. I’m not picky about silicone vs foam I just need some XL sized tips. Please help. 😩
JVC Spiral dots L are effectively XL.
Also if you look in AE for 14 mm - you can find few more affordable choices in silicone.
This really helped me in a similar quest after spending $100+ for tips in Amazon.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #51,042 of 64,190

Owning the CA10 PRO, and comparing to ZS10 PRO, I much prefer the KZ ZS10 PRO. The CCA is much too bright...and no, I don't consider myself treble sensitive. I've got a Nicehck NX7 original and I think that set sounds great. The CA 10 PRO is much more treble elevated and quite fatiguing.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #51,043 of 64,190

You could try this, using the large ones that you do have

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/flip-tips-prepare-to-have-your-mind-blown.906357/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back