Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 15, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #51,016 of 64,392
So, compared to the MH755, the EDX is quite a bit punchier with similar levels of detail except in the mids which are a bit recessed. MH755 vocals are more natural and forward, though deeper baritone male voices aren't so affected.
Blon BL01 is better all round really though it's harder to drive and almost completely unobtainable now so that's moot. Though I must say extension at the low end and punch in the mid bass is better with the EDX.
ED9 has more detail and a much better soundstage but sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. To be honest I never got on that well with the ED9.
ZST X is just better. More neutral tuning and better detail. Much bigger soundstage. Similarly easy to drive and punchy. In my opinion unless cash is super, super tight the ZST X is the better purchase.
It's good to see KZ release a DD IEM again, and it's a solid performer in my opinion. It doesn't make me want to throw my Blon BL03s away, but for what it costs it's definitely up there with the best available for the money. The real weakness is the upper mid range sounding thin and dry. The soundstage isn't massive, more Blon BL03 size.

TL:DR
It's good, but not a classic.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #51,017 of 64,392
So, compared to the MH755, the EDX is quite a bit punchier with similar levels of detail except in the mids which are a bit recessed. MH755 vocals are more natural and forward, though deeper baritone male voices aren't so affected.
Blon BL01 is better all round really though it's harder to drive and almost completely unobtainable now so that's moot. Though I must say extension at the low end and punch in the mid bass is better with the EDX.
ED9 has more detail and a much better soundstage but sounds flat and lifeless in comparison. To be honest I never got on that well with the ED9.
ZST X is just better. More neutral tuning and better detail. Much bigger soundstage. Similarly easy to drive and punchy. In my opinion unless cash is super, super tight the ZST X is the better purchase.
It's good to see KZ release a DD IEM again, and it's a solid performer in my opinion. It doesn't make me want to throw my Blon BL03s away, but for what it costs it's definitely up there with the best available for the money. The real weakness is the upper mid range sounding thin and dry. The soundstage isn't massive, more Blon BL03 size.

TL:DR
It's good, but not a classic.
Thanks, mate for the review, guess I will stick to my MH750 then and pass on this :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #51,018 of 64,392
Thanks mate for the review, guess I will stick to my MH750 then and pass on this (y)

What kind of music do you listen to? I have MH750, MH755 both within reach and KZ EDX in my ears right now so I can compare a track or two for you if you want.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #51,020 of 64,392
hahaha I roll with the times and reverse back to the 80s on occasions, I m open to all genre
With simpler recordings and recordings that need a lot of punch the EDX is the better set. As the mix gets more complex vocals in a set range get swallowed a bit and sound thin and dry, the MH750/755 is better. That the EDX is even comparable is a good thing though, nothing really "wrong" with the Sony.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #51,021 of 64,392
With simpler recordings and recordings that need a lot of punch the EDX is the better set. As the mix gets more complex vocals in a set range get swallowed a bit and sound thin and dry, the MH750/755 is better. That the EDX is even comparable is a good thing though, nothing really "wrong" with the Sony.
appreciate the detailed explanation Tony..very well described. :clap: guess will save up for another iem then

Sep 15, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #51,022 of 64,392
It's almost definitely not the XUN as the timbre doesn't seem as rich as the Z1 or the ZST X. Though it's really sensitive so I guess they've taken some of the lessons learned from developing the XUN.

Regarding the Z1, might be worth opening up and seeing what battery they use. I know when mine die I will have a go at repairing them - nothing to lose on a dead one after all.

Well, since the battery life on mine is at the point where it's not sufficient for my jogs anymore... But maybe i'll give it a go too. So far for TWS the KZ Z1 has one of the best fit for my ears for jogging (minimal thumping sound from footsteps), and the very fun sound signature works great too. Don't want to take it apart just yet since my old soldering iron broke, and these still sort of still works, but i believe the size is 400909. seems like there's a bit more room actually, so i wonder if its possible to fit in a bigger one. :/

bc3eEjU.jpg

LYrNwGJ.jpg

CWIFD2f.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #51,024 of 64,392
Which one of these KZ dynamic TWS sound the best? Not battery life or connectivity problems. Strictly sound wise?

Basically, between the Z1 and S1D?

Z1 the 10MM XUN, you have to mod it btw, but of course not a single problem for the @Slater since default signature is heavily v shaped.
once modded and pair with EQ, they sounded very good, i mean real good man, the driver have great capabilities and technicalities

S1D using 6mm old DD

FR by DynamicEars - KZ Z1 default vs mod & EQ.jpg
accuracy is down due different method of measurement, this was done with pink noise sweep, while connected wirelessly on my phone, plugged onto IEC711 clone coupler as usual. Not as accurate as sine sweep frequency method but can see roughly (I've tested to compare same cable IEM with 2 methods) how is their signature roughly.

TWS or not, my modded and EQed Z1 is sounded great, the tech side still worrying (batt life, connections, etc etc)

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #51,025 of 64,392
Z1 the 10MM XUN, you have to mod it btw, but of course not a single problem for the @Slater since default signature is heavily v shaped.
once modded and pair with EQ, they sounded very good, i mean real good man, the driver have great capabilities and technicalities

S1D using 6mm old DD

accuracy is down due different method of measurement, this was done with pink noise sweep, while connected wirelessly on my phone, plugged onto IEC711 clone coupler as usual. Not as accurate as sine sweep frequency method but can see roughly (I've tested to compare same cable IEM with 2 methods) how is their signature roughly.

TWS or not, my modded and EQed Z1 is sounded great, the tech side still worrying (batt life, connections, etc etc)

Gotcha, Z1 it is then. Thanks for the info!

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #51,026 of 64,392
I hadn't noticed this previously, but my ZAX right earpiece was unfortunately the recipient of a cosmetic imperfection (early batch issue?), wherein the vents on the face plate weren't quite machined perfectly:

IMG_20200914_140426091~2.jpg

So I took a small metal file to it and tried to clean things up. The result is subtle and it's still not quite perfect, but I feel better now :)

IMG_20200916_095718304.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #51,027 of 64,392

S1D using 6mm old DD

+1 for the Z1. Almost Blon levels of timbre, less inconsistency with the bass than the Blon too. At the money they'd be good wired IEMs. Must investigate what tips I've used on them - I don't notice the v shape, maybe using the same tips on the EDX will sort the bit of midrange that sounds awful out.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #51,028 of 64,392
I hadn't noticed this previously, but my ZAX right earpiece was unfortunately the recipient of a cosmetic imperfection (early batch issue?), wherein the vents on the face plate weren't quite machined perfectly:

To clarify, the vents in the ZAX faceplate are punched, not machined. The parts you indicated are burrs left over from where the tool punched out the vents.

It's also possible that the whole part was stamped as a single operation (ie punching the vent holes and forming the sides of the faceplate, all at once). But burrs are common on punched or stamped pieces.

Anyways, here's an example of burrs:
burr-vs-deburr.jpg

Burrs can occur for a number of reasons. But most likely, the punch they used for your particular faceplates was dull and needed to be resharpened. Aluminum is a soft metal, and deforms easily, so it is pretty much impossible to avoid on a part like this.

In any event, what you did was deburr the vents with your file.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #51,029 of 64,392
+1 for the Z1. Almost Blon levels of timbre, less inconsistency with the bass than the Blon too. At the money they'd be good wired IEMs. Must investigate what tips I've used on them - I don't notice the v shape, maybe using the same tips on the EDX will sort the bit of midrange that sounds awful out.

Timbre is good, yes i agree almost blon level great timbre, but technicalities as soundstage width, micro details, is slightly better on Z1. I use xelastec now for my Z1, but default tuning +15db on 6khz is killing me, the mid bass-sub bass proportion is linear, so no mid bass bleed but the amount also too much for me. I made them smoother and more balanced with sponge mod and EQ, they are sounded really great.

what made the Z1 driver so special? i will answer "THE PUSH", they bubbly about XUN tech with turbocharger blah blah blah, made the driver push harder and faster, its kinda gimmicky but i dont know man, they are working great, they deliver "air" movement that feels good, the rare feeling that i can get example from my Sony EX-1000.

Sep 15, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #51,030 of 64,392
i will answer "THE PUSH", they bubbly about XUN tech with turbocharger blah blah blah, made the driver push harder and faster, its kinda gimmicky but i dont know man, they are working great, they deliver "air" movement that feels good, the rare feeling that i can get example from my Sony EX-1000.

508a2a378910f0d62762a86bda671c20.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back