Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 16, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #51,046 of 64,392
Just received my ZAX today and so far they sound great. A little more bass than ZS10 Pro, which I like. But my biggest problem, other than spending too much on KZ IEMs, is that I need better ear tips! All large sizes, both silicone and foam, are not big enough. I recently tried the Tennmaks and they are not big enough. I’m not picky about silicone vs foam I just need some XL sized tips. Please help. 😩

Lots of tips and info in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/big-eared-people-unite.697211/

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #51,047 of 64,392
Owning the CA10 PRO, and comparing to ZS10 PRO, I much prefer the KZ ZS10 PRO. The CCA is much too bright...and no, I don't consider myself treble sensitive. I've got a Nicehck NX7 original and I think that set sounds great. The CA 10 PRO is much more treble elevated and quite fatiguing.
My take is that more tight bass of C10 pro with less mid-bass makes them "colder" and with less mids.
I am actually listening now to Bartok string quartets this evening and they do work for me as a closer step from ZS10 pro to C12, borderline sibilant, they make it more alive.

But I do agree that ZS10 pro is special, and if I were to electronic music, ZS10 pro would likely be my preference. :)

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #51,048 of 64,392
Sep 16, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #51,049 of 64,392
Thank you! I can’t seem to find L spiral dots. Where do you get them?
I bought my two L packs from Amazon Japan, but they did become more scarce.

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #51,050 of 64,392
In your example of "beryllium-based drivers", do reviews really distinguish them by their sound or just what is written/advertised ?
Also, admitting the bias is far from removing it
Some reviewers even developed their special gestures "good, but good for KZ", I would so love seeing them blind testing their IEMs!

at least for me, i know that his opinions on that certain sets that have beryllium (or comparing dynamic bass to BA) are biased, because he would subjectively favors it, even if they sound on similar level.

nowadays, i personally don't care what technology employed on making the drivers, tubing, crossovers, etc. i don't even csre about pricing. what matters is what i hear.

of course not to say i never do that. at first in this hobby i would search certain driver or configuration, thinking it's better. now i know that does not matter much.

that KZ smirking happens everywhere, also in my local forums. if someone says certain KZ sounds better or rival higher priced IEMs (God forbid if that IEM is priced in the hundreds or even thousands of dollars), they would get bashed and ridiculed.

i still stand on my views that the ZSX and ZS10 Pro are great sounding set regardless the brand or price

Just received my ZAX today and so far they sound great. A little more bass than ZS10 Pro, which I like. But my biggest problem, other than spending too much on KZ IEMs, is that I need better ear tips! All large sizes, both silicone and foam, are not big enough. I recently tried the Tennmaks and they are not big enough. I’m not picky about silicone vs foam I just need some XL sized tips. Please help. 😩

that's interesting! aside from the bigger bass, how's your view on the ZAX compared to the ZS10 Pro?

Sep 16, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #51,051 of 64,392
Are the vents real or cosmetic? Damn this is the most sexy looking set I've ever seen. I'm a sucker for matte black.

I believe they are real in that air and brush bristles (tried yesterday evening) pass through them.

As for whether the ZS10 Pro is really "better" than the ZAX, well, it's horses for courses. What I will say is that the terms "metallic timbre" or "overly bright" does not enter my mind when listening to the ZAX and the nature of my work means I'm listening all day.

Sometimes things that give a "wow effect" upfront don't necessarily prove to be the best to live with.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #51,053 of 64,392
I thought to ask you to give a good reference for those huge "Beats" tips that are 14.5 mm and comes with double flanges, it may also help.

Yes, those are excellent choices for super big tips. Also, turning the typical cone shape foam tips backwards works for a lot of people as well.

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #51,054 of 64,392
Owning the CA10 PRO, and comparing to ZS10 PRO, I much prefer the KZ ZS10 PRO. The CCA is much too bright...and no, I don't consider myself treble sensitive. I've got a Nicehck NX7 original and I think that set sounds great. The CA 10 PRO is much more treble elevated and quite fatiguing.
Yes, I'm finding that as well. The C10 Pro is bright and has a cool tonality throughout. Bass is very tight and fast, though and detail retrieval is good. Treble heads, this is for you!

Sep 17, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #51,055 of 64,392
KZZAX+TRNBTPRO.jpg

I never thought iem sounds so good 😄 compared with my headphones. Soundstage are wide. These ZAX have vents to air my ears for long listening without discomfort.

Incoming TRN 8BA and KZ Aptx HD bluetooth adaptor. Will do comparison.

Sep 17, 2020 at 5:10 AM Post #51,056 of 64,392
Today's listening exercise. Steely Dan's Aja, Red Book FLAC, volume 28/100 on my Shanling Q1 with low gain. Those familiar with this album will know that it is packed with complex arrangements and is somewhat of an audiophile classic. To my ears, the ZAX allows for a slightly further back from front row presentation of a fairly wide soundstage, where the horizontal position of each drum in the kit is perceptible. There are at least three discernable levels of depth: drums, cymbals and guitar are somewhat ahead of the vocals and saxophone section, while backing vocals and other effects bring up the rear. The bass is fast and tight. I cannot personally tell which sections of the track are being handled by which drivers, which is (I assume) how it should be.

IMG_20200917_163520245.jpg

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #51,059 of 64,392

nice photoshop!

jk.. lol

1 thing that made me confused. Lot of users said vents are real thing, yes. But lot of user also said no sound leak from the vents, and when vents are closed, there are no differences in sound. How come?

Sep 17, 2020 at 10:25 AM Post #51,060 of 64,392
1 thing that made me confused. Lot of users said vents are real thing, yes. But lot of user also said no sound leak from the vents, and when vents are closed, there are no differences in sound. How come?
Only had it in my ears for a minute or 2, it doesn`t sound open to me. Just sounded like any normal hybrid iem isolation. Not something i dwell on, as long as it sounds good. Plus I usually prefer my iems fully sealed BAs for use on airplanes anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back