Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #40,876 of 64,402
I have the kz braided 8 core cable with the metal ends where the pins come out, not the plastic end cables you have shown. They have a blue and red line on each end to signify what side. I didn't fully realize they had other silver cables with the same quality of sound. I'll look into buying some jut I just bought three more of these cables the other day. It was a bad idea since I already have two others. I guess i could sell them to a local. Thanks for the awesome post.

Well, keep in mind that the A and B ends still matter, regardless of metal vs plastic ends, regardless of whether the end is molded straight or angled, regardless of how many wires are braided etc.

That photo I posted was just a marketing photo from KZ. I can post the difference of the metal-ended cables if you’re interested.

The actual difference is at the very end by the pins. It’s whitish plastic, that is AFTER the silver metal with the red and blue lines. This whitish plastic is what fits into the IEM like a key in a lock. So it is this small section of plastic that determines whether a particular cable will fit a particular IEM or not. An A cable will fit into an A or B IEM, but a B cable will only fit into a B IEM (it will not fit A IEMs). This is why I believe TRN made their cables A sized; because they are universal.

So A=A+B and B=B

I have no idea why KZ had to make 2 different sizes. It just causes confusion and problems. They could have made them all A size.

Oh well, what’s done is done

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #40,877 of 64,402
surely it is: "it's a limited edition of 3000 units. i must grab one before it runs out and becomes a myth"

Maybe...

But wasn't the production of the ED16 supposed to be stopped?
Well, it wasn't as the ED16 is still available everywhere, so I would take those claims with a grain of chifi salt...

As we know China a bit this 3000 is just the first batch. If it sells well there will be another. Interesting is the fact that a seller probably had influence in the composition of the zs7.

Micro Ring
ANV
ZS1 v1
ZN1 (not the mini)
HDS1
HDS2
ZS5 v1
ZST with the custom faceplates
etc etc

It does happen (eventually).

But yeah; if ZS7 ends up being a runaway success and sells well, they will just make another batch.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #40,878 of 64,402
I assume you checked the phase? There’s a link in my signature.

You’re now the 2nd person who says it is not good. I’m starting to get really worried now...

Phase is fine from the outside. Lows are OK but I heard cleaner from KZ, voices sound kind of shouty and highs are uneven. Tracks with lots of cimbals will have some notes upfront and some almost missing. And there is drive flex, lots of it, not something light like IT01 but the kind that crackles at the slightest movement. As it is, ZS6 or even ED16 are better.
I'll have to open them when I get home to see if everything is wired right, maybe check the vent to see if I can fix the flex. Do other people get driver flex?

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #40,879 of 64,402
That was V-Sonic. Can't recall the model, though I think the updated fixed cable VSD3 models had very similar jacks, and possibly y-splits. KZ introduced that hardware around the same time they the introduced V-Sonic-esque packaging (sometime around the release of the ZS5v1) which evolved into what we have now.

Hmmm, interesting.

Coincidence?

We know other companies made (many of) KZs IEMs before they had their own factory (and probably still do). I am certain Estron is/was 1. Perhaps VSonic (or whoever may be making VSonics for them) is another. It’s all secret cloak and dagger stuff.

Ah, I do love me a good mystery...

026B50CA-2B77-4E70-B152-539215FBD71E.png

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #40,880 of 64,402
I have the kz braided 8 core cable with the metal ends where the pins come out, not the plastic end cables you have shown. They have a blue and red line on each end to signify what side. I didn't fully realize they had other silver cables with the same quality of sound. I'll look into buying some jut I just bought three more of these cables the other day. It was a bad idea since I already have two others. I guess i could sell them to a local. Thanks for the awesome post.

Well, keep in mind that the A and B ends still matter, regardless of metal vs plastic ends, regardless of whether the end is molded straight or angled, regardless of how many wires are braided etc.

That photo I posted was just a marketing photo from KZ. I can post the difference of the metal-ended cables if you’re interested.

The actual difference is at the very end by the pins. It’s whitish plastic, that is AFTER the silver metal with the red and blue lines. This whitish plastic is what fits into the IEM like a key in a lock. So it is this small section of plastic that determines whether a particular cable will fit a particular IEM or not. An A cable will fit into an A or B IEM, but a B cable will only fit into a B IEM (it will not fit A IEMs). This is why I believe TRN made their cables A sized; because they are universal.

So A=A+B and B=B

I have no idea why KZ had to make 2 different sizes. It just causes confusion and problems. They could have made them all A size.

Oh well, what’s done is done

Here's an image showing how the A type cable is keyed to the KZ ZS5/6/7.
R3QcSAf.jpg

If a B type cable is used with the ZS5/6/7 the plastic end of the connector will stick out and not be flush.
kuGbjdl.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #40,881 of 64,402
Here's an image showing how the A type cable is keyed to the KZ ZS5/6/7.
R3QcSAf.jpg

If a B type cable is used with the ZS5/6/7 the plastic end of the connector will stick out and not be flush.
kuGbjdl.jpg

Good shots Drake and showing clearly the proper connect, and I'm not sure about all those impedance measures but I've had zero sound issues with that particular KZ Tri-Braid cables in the past few years. Now my favorite and favorite sounding KZ cable (After market and even better than the ZSN cable for me is the bronze SP cable) plus I love it's length jack to yoke and yoke to shells:thumbsup:Even though I like this Bronze cable I think the TRN 8 core may be the best choice for all KZ's now:rolling_eyes:

KZ iCMOY.JPG

@nxnje , In regards to better budget players for twice the price I can say the Colorfly C3 is twice maybe even 3/4 times the Benjie S5 IMHO:beerchug:

As a matter a fact here is a shot of my C3 with the TFZ Series 1s before their cheap azz cable oxidized and turned neon green:disappointed:

C3 S1S.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #40,883 of 64,402
Can someone point out an upgrade cable for less than $40 that would fit the CCA-C10? I really hate how the faux-metal MMCX housings on KZ cables look.

They are real metal (aluminum). Not faux anything.

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #40,885 of 64,402
I didn't realize that. Still not a fan of the aesthetics :laughing:
I believe they use the B type KZ connector.
Type A for the CCA C10. The stock cable arrived with the right preformed ear hook bent out of shape so that it juts outwards when the in-ears are inserted. Tried to fix it with my hair dryer last night but the pesky ear guide sheath must have its own defense mechanism because my hair dryer started smoking as soon as I attempted waving it in the cable's general direction.

IMG_5950.JPG

Anyway I have a spare Type A SPC KZ cable on hand and...Voila!

IMG_5951.JPG

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #40,887 of 64,402
Here's a good question my fellow KZ followers, how do you think the ZS7 will stack up against this baby (same config 1DD & 4BA)? Even add the best 8 core you could find to it!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/aaw-axh-universal-fit-iem?utm_placement=0&referer=PR3LLV&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-01-16&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1547625562050.795267778456961352235501

I mean basically one could buy 11 ZS7's for what one pair of these AAW's cost or let's just say 10 is you add a swweet 8 core to the mix. I'm sure all the drivers are different plus the 4 way crossover but will they sound >$280 better:smirk:

Not that I'm aware of Drake as a matter a fact I think there is an actual thread somewhere on here entitled his name.

@darmanastartes , I think this is a pretty nice 8 core for the money plus you can get it in several configurations and two color combos:wink:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.267.30453c00t9D1Tg

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #40,888 of 64,402
Can someone point out an upgrade cable for less than $40 that would fit the CCA-C10? I really hate how the faux-metal MMCX housings on KZ cables look.
There's a thread listing some good quality cheap cables. Nicehck produces a nice high purity 8 core(less than 30$) and 16 core(less than $40) that seems quite good.

I discovered a new brand that I plan to buy next, quite cheap and good looking (imo) cables in aliexpress with a good price that you can order in any type of connector you want. 0.75, 0.78, MMCX, IM, A2DC, IE80

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/eZkx2Mg

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #40,889 of 64,402
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #40,890 of 64,402
I think you might want to consider something like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...Single-Crystal-Plated-Silver/32856695998.html

When I compare it side-by-side to the cable that came with my Noble X, they're very similar. Thicknesses are about the same, build quality is comparable.

If you're willing to bump the price up just a little bit more, this might fit better aesthetically:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OKC...tal-Plated-Silver-and-Copper/32854364617.html

I use the second cable daily and swap it easily between any of my KZs as well as the Noble X. Braid is great, it doesn't kink or tangle, and fits just fine around the ears. Would wholeheartedly recommend.

And my wallet weeps a little bit more. Guess I'll pull the trigger on a ZS7 if it's only going to be a 3k-unit run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back