Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #40,861 of 63,916
Anything with the “A” plug fits the ZSA.

It’s the same one that fits the ZS3, ZS3e, ZS4, ZS5, and ZS6.

Also, anything made for TRN fits.

So if you have a KZ cable that doesn’t fit the ZSA, that tells me your cable has a “B” end.

When the KZ 8-wire flat braided SPC cable first came out, it was only available with the B end. Then they became available with the A end.
I have the kz braided 8 core cable with the metal ends where the pins come out, not the plastic end cables you have shown. They have a blue and red line on each end to signify what side. I didn't fully realize they had other silver cables with the same quality of sound. I'll look into buying some jut I just bought three more of these cables the other day. It was a bad idea since I already have two others. I guess i could sell them to a local. Thanks for the awesome post.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #40,862 of 63,916
Jan 16, 2019 at 6:10 AM Post #40,863 of 63,916
:purse:
Nice small comparison between the zs7 and the Campfire Andromeda:
https://www.google.nl/amp/s/amp.red...s/afpm44/andromedas_vs_kz_zs7/#ampf=undefined

This is an interesting side-read, thanks.

Started out as a subjective comparison between the ~$1,500 Campfire Audio Andromeda and the ~$50 KZ ZS7 but essentially developed into a KZ discussion thread.
:smile:

That KZ obviously had CA's Andromeda shell design as "inspiration" for the ZS5, ZS6 and now ZS7 is of universal cognizance among the headphone community. I think the irony was not lost on the poster, whose review btw appears to be a verbatim copy of the one found in Amazon.com by a certain Daniel James.
:relaxed:

My zs7 arrives this afternoon. Will compare them with my zs6. Had a chat with KZ store China.
Answer to my question why they are not selling the zs7:

hello friend
ZS7 only reseller sale, just 3000pcs, once sale out, will not production any more, KZ Offical not sale it

no. that means zs7 will be like ed16: made by petition of one reseller, and only sold by that reseller.

Hmm...this bit of info sure makes quite a punctuation on any argument in favor of the ZS7. The next question is, "Is it compelling enough for me [to convince my husband] to get [me] one?" Currently it retails for $37.40 at AliExpress on occasion of its Winter Sale.
:thinking: :wink:

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #40,864 of 63,916
I hate to say this, becuase i'm not a fan of copy cat designs, but the ks7 looks better. Its like these chi-fi just skipped all the R&D, cut some holes into another design.
But how many will stand up for campfire? This is a crazy game the headphone game :D

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:21 AM Post #40,865 of 63,916
Hmm...this bit of info sure makes quite a punctuation on any argument in favor of the ZS7. The next question is, "Is it compelling enough for me [to convince my husband] to get [me] one?" Currently it retails for $37.40 at AliExpress on occasion of its Winter Sale.
:thinking: :wink:
surely it is: "it's a limited edition of 3000 units. i must grab one before it runs out and becomes a myth"

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #40,869 of 63,916
I would like to know how the ZS7 compares to the ZS5 V1 since unfortunately I have the V2.

I posted the FR of the three a few pages back - Zs5v1, Zs6, Zs7 much better behaved treble on the 7.

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #40,870 of 63,916
added resistance of stock cables of AS06 and ZS7 to the list.
(17) kz as06 stock (braided)....................................775..797..784..811
(18) kz zs7 stock mic (braided)................................1165..1133..1159..814
and also another "upgrade" cable:
(50) spc 8c (gold,oyde)...........................................346..636..374..443

as you can see, the braided kz cable is still crap, mic version specially.
listened to as06 and zs7 for a while.
as06 is too dark for my taste. huge amount of fast punchy mid-bass. mids recessed, no upper-mids extra coloration (but also less air and sparkle), big treble roll-off. not for me.
zs7 is more balanced. huge amount of slow smoothed organic reverberating bass (mid and sub), although overall tone is brighter than as06, thanks to more upper-mids. mids look a bit less recessed than in other kzs. some upper-mids bump, and again, practically unexistent treble. you miss lot of treble details from the tracks you know, they sound so low.. but also bass detail, they sound so smooth and thick.. in many heavy bass tracks, the lows are overdone and unbearable for me.
these are my personal cons. i'm sure that many people will love these attributes.
managed to keep on zs7 for some hours. they are ok, in kz's line. probably one of the best kz.
but still prefer zs6. faster bass, and the last kz with decent highs (after taming a bit excessive peaks at 10kHz and 8kHz). i also tame mid-bass in zs6 (near 9dB!), so go figure what i should do with zs7.
edit: zs6 was popping out of my ears slowly, but was comfortable; the extra size of zs7 is enough to hurt my ears and to pop out faster.
dunno why i tried these, because know that kz signature, after zs6, is clearly not my cup of tea.
for kz signature lovers, this new iems will be a good try.

1.2ohms?

No wonder a few people are reporting being underwhelmed with the ZS7. I’d almost certainly bet they have the mic version...

Also, I thought ZS6 and ZS7 shells were exactly the same size? If the ZS6 fits your ears, but not the ZS7, then perhaps the shells are different after all.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #40,871 of 63,916
No mic FTW

giphy.gif

Jan 16, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #40,872 of 63,916
Imho, only good (but not great) cable that KZ has made is ZSN copper/clearPVC cable (~0.3Ohm impedance). BUT... it also has quirks:
* cable length and length from Y-splitter to 2-pin ends.
* Y-splitter and jack plastic molding - who was that "genious" who made them "so cool looking shape"? straight angles and corners all over stuck everywhere You put that cable.
* no chinc to adjust Y-point.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #40,873 of 63,916
Jan 16, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #40,874 of 63,916
1.2ohms?

No wonder a few people are reporting being underwhelmed with the ZS7. I’d almost certainly bet they have the mic version...

Also, I thought ZS6 and ZS7 shells were exactly the same size? If the ZS6 fits your ears, but not the ZS7, then perhaps the shells are different after all.
The zs7 is a little wider, 1 mm. I ordered with the mic cable. Hmmm what is a beter budget cable for the zs7?

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #40,875 of 63,916
Imho, only good (but not great) cable that KZ has made is ZSN copper/clearPVC cable (~0.3Ohm impedance). BUT... it also has quirks:
* cable length and length from Y-splitter to 2-pin ends.
* Y-splitter and jack plastic molding - who was that "genious" who made them "so cool looking shape"? straight angles and corners all over stuck everywhere You put that cable.
* no chinc to adjust Y-point.

That was V-Sonic. Can't recall the model, though I think the updated fixed cable VSD3 models had very similar jacks, and possibly y-splits. KZ introduced that hardware around the same time they the introduced V-Sonic-esque packaging (sometime around the release of the ZS5v1) which evolved into what we have now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back