Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #38,359 of 63,958
You are right, the side with no control buttons (the Left side) only has the Left wires running through it. But that’s ok. With phase you only have to switch 1 side. It doesn’t matter which.

You can test this by flipping the 2-pin connector on the Left side only, and listening to the difference. On the TRN cables, the ear guide will point the wrong way but you can still wear the IEM for the test.

Then put the Left cable back to normal, and flip the Right side instead. You’ll notice that the sound changes exactly the same no matter which side was reversed. That’s why when fixing phase you can do either side. At least, that’s how I’ve always done it.

As far as the wires themselves, I didn’t have to deal with the enamel coating. The very tips of the wires are already stripped and tinned with solder. I literally just touched the connection to unsolder them, then resoldered them in the same place (except with the opposite wire). I didn’t even use more solder (just flux for flow), as there was plenty of solder on the wires.

Wait a minute... You're using a soldering iron that feeds flux? What kind of witchery is this?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #38,360 of 63,958
Guys i have KZ AS10 And its sounds just amazing. A guy in my country wants to trade B&O H3 ANC with my KZ AS10. What do you think? should i trade with H3 anc ?
I would say no

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #38,361 of 63,958
And here I come again with the questions... This time it's about the copper silver upgrade cable that I received and it will be difficult to explain but here I go:
On this series of cables you have a flat side and a round side to know how to insert them properly, but this is inverted on my cable. Could this mean that the polarity is reversed? Is there a way I can test it?

WHdWTUf.jpg

If I put the cable "correctly", the ear-hook ends up under my ear, not over it...
And also, unfortunately, there is no metal piece in the ear-hook, so I can't bend it backwards.

Sounds like you just starting out to me lol! I think I've past 20 now. That includes a ton of Looks like a good
What you're saying is not good, I'm only a student, I shouldn't have the money to buy all of that stuff. But hey, if I can eat my cheap pasta while listening to good music on chi-fi stuff I'll be more than happy :p !

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #38,363 of 63,958
Wait a minute... You're using a soldering iron that feeds flux? What kind of witchery is this?

No, I applied a spot of flux gel with the tip of a toothpick before I began.

So the steps were:

1. Open control shell (the one that says TRN).
2. Carefully peel off clear factory heat shrink tubing from the existing wire connections.
3. Apply a small drop of flux gel to each joint where the wires are soldered together.
4. Unsolder wires.
5. Reverse wires and resolder.
6. Test polarity with music test file.
7. Apply a drop of liquid electrical tape to cover each bare wire connection, and let dry. I didn’t feel like messing with heat shrink tubing as the wires are ridiculously small. Liquid rubber tape is easier in this application.
8. Snap control shell back together.
9. Slip heat shrink tubing over control shell and heat gently.
10. Enjoy cold beer in frozen mug. This step is critical to success.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #38,364 of 63,958
Well my band ordered 3 ZSN yesterday. They've all got the zst. I've got the As10 and zs10. Giving our bass player my zsr. I may try one if the zsn once they arrive with all the good reviews here.

If you find the ZSN doesn’t have enough isolation on stage, give the ZS4 a try! It has as much isolation as earplugs!

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #38,366 of 63,958
If you find the ZSN doesn’t have enough isolation on stage, give the ZS4 a try! It has as much isolation as earplugs!

I was wondering about this earlier. Which budget IEM would you rate to have the best isolation? (while still maintaining acceptable SQ)

Edit: didnt notice I was on the KZ thread, i woulda asked on the sub-$100 chat :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #38,367 of 63,958
I was wondering about this earlier. Which budget IEM would you rate to have the best isolation? (while still maintaining acceptable SQ)

ZS4 or ZS3

Between the 2, I prefer the ZS4.

If you are particularly treble sensitive, you can go for the ZS3. Or else you can use foam tips on the ZS4, or even do the ‘ZST foam mod’ to the BA in the nozzle.

But the ZS4 treble is just fine for me.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #38,368 of 63,958
ZS4 or ZS3

Between the 2, I prefer the ZS4.

If you are particularly treble sensitive, you can go for the ZS3. Or else you can use foam tips on the ZS4, or even do the ‘ZST foam mod’ to the BA in the nozzle.

But the ZS4 treble is just fine for me.

I'm not overly sensitive to treble fortunately. A friend got the ZS3 recently and was not satisfied, I'll have to listen to those next chance I get. I'll surely consider the ZS4, can't beat a good isolation IEM for certain situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back