Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #37,651 of 63,907
Maybe get AS10 and see if it works alright. It is the safest bet from what I can gather about your tastes (?)

It would be great o tell us how you want the bass , mids and treble to be in balance to each other :)

Bass varies between the more hip hop style of bass, with those continuous bass lines, almost like it's snoring, to the more metal/rock more on the quick impact and punch style. Hope that helps.

I would have more bass than mids and treble, but then i think that i might like mids and treble both to be balanced IF it doesn't take away detail, but it's all good as long as the high's aren't piercing.

Nov 5, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #37,652 of 63,907
ZS4 owners,
How do you contain or atleast minimize sibilance on these bad boys?
When I received them they sounded perfect for my taste,but now after 2 weeks I'm starting to notice more and more sibilance,and the letter "s" sounds quite piercing in some songs.Is that normal?I didn't to any burn in's or similair things,just started to use them on a daily basis as soon as they arrived.

I'm using the grey copper braided cable. Better for mids.
Grace Design M9xx>Foobar-MathAudio Headphone EQ:
Sem título.png

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #37,653 of 63,907
ZS4 owners,
How do you contain or atleast minimize sibilance on these bad boys?
When I received them they sounded perfect for my taste,but now after 2 weeks I'm starting to notice more and more sibilance,and the letter "s" sounds quite piercing in some songs.Is that normal?I didn't to any burn in's or similair things,just started to use them on a daily basis as soon as they arrived.

Some options:

- EQ.
- Foam-tips. For taming sibilance foam tips with wax-guard works better.
- Covering the front the of nozzle with 3M micropore before mounting the tip.
- Something similar to Slater's ZST mod definitely will reduce sibilance.

I usually fix all my sibilance problems with 3M micropore tape nowadays. EQ is good but it's a mess when you need to change source.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #37,654 of 63,907
Here's KZ ZSN Diffuse Field Compensation using miniDSP EARS.

KZ ZSN - FR - IDF Compensated.jpg

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #37,655 of 63,907
For those who are considering the many dual hybrid KZs, I have the ES3, ES4, ZS4 and the UiiSii CM5 is still significatnly better than all of those. All these KZ hybrids still have a hump, not quite a spike at 12-13K that creates a short tearm clarity but long-listen pain, where the CM5 is still significantly better. My ZS10 is still better, though really needs an EQ cut at 3KHz (or if you are anal, separate cuts at 2Khz and 4KHz instead), plus be able to get a deep insertion fit to work well with great tips, which no KZ tips work for me. Those 3 dual hybrids I have are often considered the more balanced (without treble spikes) of KZ hybrids.

With that EQ on the ZS10, I consider them equal to my Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee with subbass boosted and 5.5KHz cut. But for those without the CM5, they are must-have for the price. Not sure if or when a KZ dual hybrid will compare. I'm using an IFI Nano (pre-Black), Fiio Q1, and LG V20.
;::
Still considering another ZS10 for 11:11 and/or ES16, ZSN, or AS10. Doubt the ZSN will be as good as the Uiisii CM5.

Nov 5, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #37,656 of 63,907
Just ordered AS10 from AE with 11.11. my poor wallet!!!

Nov 6, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #37,658 of 63,907
OH MY. THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM.

Knowledge Zenith did something different! Something I really am enjoying.

The ZSN is in pink. Sorry, this is a busy chart but I wanted to plot several comparisons in one.

ZSN: Pink
AS10: Gray
ZSA: Green
T2: Blue
TRN V80 - Light Grey

Quick Impressions:
Great build on this one.
Fit is wonderful.
Cable and connectors is a lot better
Sound is not ultra detailed, but I like the sound signature!

Review in the near future.

Here's KZ ZSN Diffuse Field Compensation using miniDSP EARS.

I think I now have to get my hands on ZSN... don`t want, don`t need... but that graph looks nice... actually too nice for KZ! -.-
Naah... I will let my friend buy it and then have a listen. I really don`t need another KZ.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #37,659 of 63,907
I think I now have to get my hands on ZSN... don`t want, don`t need... but that graph looks nice... actually too nice for KZ! -.-
Naah... I will let my friend buy it and then have a listen. I really don`t need another KZ.

Sound sig is pretty good. I think the V80 is better on initial listen (more extended) but this is quite good for $20 (or less on 11.11).

Nov 6, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #37,661 of 63,907
So having the AS10s for a few days now here's a more in depth personal view.

Starting with isolation I'm mostly using a wide red bore tip, but have switched to the starline a couple of times, but I prefer the Reds.
Isolation is fantastic, not quite ZS3 suction but it's not far off, excellent.

Using BA's the bass on these things is incredible, everything from deep to mid to sub bass is all there and it packs a punch, I don't mean in any way it's overpowering but it's definitely the best bass I've heard on any Kz, it's very fast and tight, plus it's very silky and warm..... Actually it's nigh on perfect.

The mids are pure liquid and very natural, very natural indeed, maybe a very slight bump to make them a tad more forward but it's full of timbre, and voices sound amazing.
Listening to the new David Bowie Loving the alien box set his vocals are presented perfectly, you don't miss a breath
Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.

Treble is rolled off but accurate, very accurate actually, cymbals sound exactly like cymbals, Snares and drums are presented with oodles of timbre as does a kick drum, but with all this they never give you fatigue. This is Kz getting the treble spot on.

In a word these are brilliant, they're even better than the Zs10 (Which I love) they have more power and punch but they are still incredibly smooth and never harsh.
They can be very euphoric yet always manage to keep themselves in line, as if they're saying wait I'm a serious monitor lol.

I love these, the Zs10 is no longer the best, but still a very nice partner to these.

If you're on the fence with these then don't be, just pull the trigger, they're worth every penny.
A warm, accurate, lush, natural and punchy sound, you really can't go wrong.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #37,662 of 63,907
KZ-ZSN - Black faceplate/Black body and not the cord pictured, which is the only negative so far, sounds fine but not whats pictured. The build I think is exceptional for the price paid and the sound is pretty much spot on. Between these my BA-10’s and ZS5’s I’m thinking of purging my others and splurging for a new DAP or XCAN!
KZ just gets better and I firmly hope the A team that worked these does all the new ones coming (I don’t know how they'll beat these) and these shells become KZ’s thing from now on, the KZ look/style!

KZ send the cable you picture in the future and slap my BA10’s in these shells for me ok.....lol.
Wouldn’t it be nice to pick your favorite configuration or model and have it put in one of these new look really sharp looking shells! Lots of variables would need to be adjusted but I’d love that high end option..say $25 a pop.....hahaha....amazing stuff KZ!!

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #37,663 of 63,907
Howdy, @Podster how're you travelin' ?

Just a quicko, that Setup you just posted in that snap, they play nice together?

Guessing you are referring to my new Benjie S5 BT, I've got a Red non BT and have probably given 7-8 as gifts ever since I got my first one. In my honest opinion bang for buck the S5 at <$25 can't be beat as for what it is it has a great little UI and once again IMHO probably the best SQ/SS of any player less than $25. Did I mention the little thing runs for ever and ever between charges! Probably the longest answer for the simple "Do they play well together":rolling_eyes: The T6 sounds pretty much identical to the S5 as well should you like the look of the T6 more:wink:

Benjie K1T6.JPG

I will say the black on smoke ZSN really looks good with a mountain of players/player combos:grin:

ZSN Combos.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #37,664 of 63,907
so, apropos of nothing, i pulled out my zst and ed9 from way in the back of my drawer and gave 'em a listen in order to compare to the current zs4, zsr and ed16, which have been getting a lot of ear time. the zst, which i kinda liked back in the day, really don't hold up well--the mids are so flat and recessed that they end up sounding lifeless. the ed9, otoh, still got the magic--the current kzs have the bigger stage, beefier bass, greater extension, etc., but dammit if the ed9 still doesn't trump 'em for "realness" and coherence--they have that indefinable analog quality.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #37,665 of 63,907
OH MY. THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM.

Knowledge Zenith did something different! Something I really am enjoying.

The ZSN is in pink. Sorry, this is a busy chart but I wanted to plot several comparisons in one.

ZSN: Pink
AS10: Gray
ZSA: Green
T2: Blue
TRN V80 - Light Grey

Quick Impressions:
Great build on this one.
Fit is wonderful.
Cable and connectors is a lot better
Sound is not ultra detailed, but I like the sound signature!

Review in the near future.
Thanks for this.
I like the graph. The 30Hz and below doesn't descend like T2 and V80. Midbass isn't prominent. There's a 3-4kHz peak, but it descends too abruptly. On the bright side, there's no sudden 8-10kHz peak, so it's easier to equalize it up, if more treble necessary. I think I'd also up 20-100Hz at least a few dBs. Anyhow, I guess I'm sold, well, I'll see how it's in the flesh after arrival.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back