Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #37,666 of 63,979
Guessing you are referring to my new Benjie S5 BT, I've got a Red non BT and have probably given 7-8 as gifts ever since I got my first one. In my honest opinion bang for buck the S5 at <$25 can't be beat as for what it is it has a great little UI and once again IMHO probably the best SQ/SS of any player less than $25. Did I mention the little thing runs for ever and ever between charges! Probably the longest answer for the simple "Do they play well together":rolling_eyes: The T6 sounds pretty much identical to the S5 as well should you like the look of the T6 more:wink:

I will say the black on smoke ZSN really looks good with a mountain of players/player combos:grin:

The S5 is a great addition to any collection! It even plays well enough with the zs5v1. That little player has his own place in the portable audio heaven! It just has this nice resolute attack and ability to keep pace... It is the small Italian hatchback, not much top speed, not much refinement, good acceleration and great driving pleasure. (And quite low mileage)

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #37,667 of 63,979
QUOTE="antdroid, post: 14580647, member: 456456"]OH MY. THIS HAS TO BE A DREAM.

Knowledge Zenith did something different! Something I really am enjoying.

The ZSN is in pink. Sorry, this is a busy chart but I wanted to plot several comparisons in one.

ZSN: Pink
AS10: Gray
ZSA: Green
T2: Blue
TRN V80 - Light Grey

Quick Impressions:
Great build on this one.
Fit is wonderful.
Cable and connectors is a lot better
Sound is not ultra detailed, but I like the sound signature!

Review in the near future.[/QUOTE]
+1 Yup, a totally different sound and style. I wasn't expecting a surprise homerun from KZ at such a low price. :trophy::smile:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #37,668 of 63,979
@Podster thank you, they all look wonderful, I didnt realise they were In that price region, I think xmas is going to be rockin for a few folks. That Red Benjie looks striking, I'm a fan and I agree the Black Zsn look very neat indeed. Nice Bitta kit that would superb in any setting, indeed. Thanks again.

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #37,670 of 63,979
@Podster thank you, they all look wonderful, I didnt realise they were In that price region, I think xmas is going to be rockin for a few folks. That Red Benjie looks striking, I'm a fan and I agree the Black Zsn look very neat indeed. Nice Bitta kit that would superb in any setting, indeed. Thanks again.

My pleasure Drum:beerchug: I actually keep this kit

41 Bones.JPG

ready to grab and go at any moment plus a big advantage for me and far less stress is the fact should I pull one of my early Alzheimer's episodes and misplace it I'm only out $41:rolling_eyes: Not only does this setup match they gel like crazy for that $41:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 6, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #37,671 of 63,979
My pleasure Drum:beerchug: I actually keep this kit

ready to grab and go at any moment plus a big advantage for me and far less stress is the fact should I pull one of my early Alzheimer's episodes and misplace it I'm only out $41:rolling_eyes: Not only does this setup match they gel like crazy for that $41:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oohhh that is flashy! I've always had a thing for red anodized hardware, I tend to pick it whenever I'm selecting parts of all kinds. That bug out kit is badass. I never thought one day you could have such sound for the ballpark of 40 and also have enough options to coordinate the kit together. Very Sweet.

Nov 6, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #37,672 of 63,979
so, apropos of nothing, i pulled out my zst and ed9 from way in the back of my drawer and gave 'em a listen in order to compare to the current zs4, zsr and ed16, which have been getting a lot of ear time. the zst, which i kinda liked back in the day, really don't hold up well--the mids are so flat and recessed that they end up sounding lifeless.

Pulled out my ZST's as well last night and compared them to the ZSA. It only took ten minutes for me to decide to permanently retire the ZST. The ZST was a huge step forward for KZ when they were originally released but the ZSA is far ahead in timbre and delivery. Mind you, I listen to the ZSA with Tennmak Whirlwinds at very moderate levels. I think they are a highly entertaining class act.

the ed9, otoh, still got the magic--the current kzs have the bigger stage, beefier bass, greater extension, etc., but dammit if the ed9 still doesn't trump 'em for "realness" and coherence--they have that indefinable analog quality.

Again, to me the ZSA have that "realness and coherence" that you speak of with the ED9. The ZSA does not sound like the ED9 but the airiness in juxtaposition to the weight contribute to that "indefinable" quality that you speak of. Those qualities and their great sense of timbre remind me of the ED9's approach to delivering an exceptional sound signature at a ridiculously low price point ($16). To me their only drawback is the need for more presence in the lower midrange. Sure the bass can be drawn down a notch but they're so entertaining the way they are currently tuned that I prefer to leave it alone and let KZ release another model with said drawdown of bass and more presence in the lower midrange. In the meantime these will get plenty of eartime.

The ZSA seem to have gotten lost amidst the influx of KZ's newer releases which is a shame for those who will overlook these for the current "flavor of the month" but it won't be the first time that has happened. The EDR1 was overlooked for a few YEARS until Slater recently pointed out their capabilities.

bdd85185-2af5-42a6-829b-f295493c6c78._CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970__.jpg

Props to Igor for the graph
ZSA.fr.png

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #37,673 of 63,979
I pulled my KZ ZS5 v1, months after the last session, and I'm amazed.
Damn, it just makes the TRN V80 eat dust. Much more coherent and without that V80's artifical and tiring treble.
Mids recessed? Maybe a little bit but they blend greatly in the wide wide soundstage the ZS5 offers.
The separation is top notch.

What a gem!

ZS5 v1 is a LEGEND in the chifi.

Edit: I'm buying the AS10. Is it really an upgrade?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #37,674 of 63,979
For those who are considering the many dual hybrid KZs, I have the ES3, ES4, ZS4 and the UiiSii CM5 is still significatnly better than all of those. All these KZ hybrids still have a hump, not quite a spike at 12-13K that creates a short tearm clarity but long-listen pain, where the CM5 is still significantly better. My ZS10 is still better, though really needs an EQ cut at 3KHz (or if you are anal, separate cuts at 2Khz and 4KHz instead), plus be able to get a deep insertion fit to work well with great tips, which no KZ tips work for me. Those 3 dual hybrids I have are often considered the more balanced (without treble spikes) of KZ hybrids.

With that EQ on the ZS10, I consider them equal to my Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee with subbass boosted and 5.5KHz cut. But for those without the CM5, they are must-have for the price. Not sure if or when a KZ dual hybrid will compare. I'm using an IFI Nano (pre-Black), Fiio Q1, and LG V20.
;::
Still considering another ZS10 for 11:11 and/or ES16, ZSN, or AS10. Doubt the ZSN will be as good as the Uiisii CM5.
If you mean ED16 I have that and Uiisii CM5 and it is no contest for me,the CM5 is flat out better in every aspect. ED16 have more bass but overall I much prefer the CM5. Just amazing.Am thinking of trying the ZSN, really like the looks of them.

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #37,675 of 63,979
Guessing you are referring to my new Benjie S5 BT, I've got a Red non BT and have probably given 7-8 as gifts ever since I got my first one. In my honest opinion bang for buck the S5 at <$25 can't be beat as for what it is it has a great little UI and once again IMHO probably the best SQ/SS of any player less than $25. Did I mention the little thing runs for ever and ever between charges! Probably the longest answer for the simple "Do they play well together":rolling_eyes: The T6 sounds pretty much identical to the S5 as well should you like the look of the T6 more:wink:

I will say the black on smoke ZSN really looks good with a mountain of players/player combos:grin:

So what’s better, the S5 or the T6? I assume S5, because it’s touchscreen?

And are all S5 versions Bluetooth?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #37,676 of 63,979

SS/SQ is almost Identical and I still prefer the S5 to the T6. You have to select Blue tooth model, it was an addition after the initial run.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #37,677 of 63,979
Zs6 arrived at me.
Connected immediately to my dap.
I have to say: they seem quite good, but sibilance is really killing my ears with stocks tips

Do you think zs6 is tip sensitive?

I'm gonna try foam tips at home but for now i can't appreciate the detail as the piercing highs are destroying everything.
At least i can say some impression about the bass: very good bass, sub-bass is good and it's there when needed, not overwhelming.
Mids are ok and soundstage is wow.
Gonna test more asap.

I'm not saying my solution will help you but what I did was, removed the grille, put a tiny piece of Micropore white medical tape over the two BA holes in the nozzle, glued grille back on. Coarse weave wound dressing adhesive "Heavy Duty" style dressing the type that is heavy fabric, cut with fine sharp scissors - 1 layer covered grille. poly open cell foam carefully cut into little pompoms of various sizes and stuffed into the hole after the silicone tip is put back on testing different foam balls to tube sound... this brings the highs into line. The foam I used was from a pack of 6 kitchen sponge/scourer found at cheap variety store worked really well, other foams were too dense or too crispy. hard to say, this foam didnt change the sound it just tamed highs (i tried every piece of open cell foam I could see). you may just have luck putting micropore tape over your grille and that might be adequate for you, combined with eq or something, I wanted a solution that nipped it in the bud rather than having 20 different eq settings across sources etc. best of luck, also I remember the zs6 was unusually harsh for the first 100 hours or so.

the reason I put micropore under the grille directly over the BA nozzles was I also found (well, my roll of tape, anyway) micropore on the grille directly left this slippery residue (*genuine 3m tape from pharmacy) that made my tips slide off, (maybe was the wrong tip from another kz that got mixed up) but whilst out and about having the tips keep sliding off was patience testing to say the least especially when one of my jams came on and I was feeling the groove. :D

if you don't wanna muck around with grilles and tapes and adhesives spray spray sasha grey..

just find some open cell foam from something Clean (obvious) that you can sacrifice for your tests and just cut little cylindrical drums of foam up and use the 3.5mm jack to stuf them into the nozzle of the tip and be sure to get the little pieces symmetrical and while your testing the first cut a pair of bigger and a pair of smaller pieces to test and tune your sound,... if it's not enough cut larger pair still and jam it into the nozzle. use care the grille isn't thick gauge you can damage it and you're just pushing foam in. best of luck.

you also don't want excess foam dangling out of the nozzle tickling your inner canal like a cheeky microscopic racoon just meddling about in the intimates of your ear, so chop it thicc and W.i.d.e as opposed to long and Slender XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #37,678 of 63,979

SS/SQ is almost Identical and I still prefer the S5 to the T6. You have to select Blue tooth model, it was an addition after the initial run.
T6 is rockboxable now. if sound is very similar, the new feature makes a big difference.

Nov 7, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #37,679 of 63,979
I can't even try thid anymore, as i've said some posts ago, i returned them back to amazon because of fitting problems :frowning2:
I'm not saying my solution will help you but what I did was, removed the grille, put a tiny piece of Micropore white medical tape over the two BA holes in the nozzle, glued grille back on. Coarse weave wound dressing adhesive "Heavy Duty" style dressing the type that is heavy fabric, cut with fine sharp scissors - 1 layer covered grille. poly open cell foam carefully cut into little pompoms of various sizes and stuffed into the hole after the silicone tip is put back on testing different foam balls to tube sound... this brings the highs into line. The foam I used was from a pack of 6 kitchen sponge/scourer found at cheap variety store worked really well, other foams were too dense or too crispy. hard to say, this foam didnt change the sound it just tamed highs (i tried every piece of open cell foam I could see). you may just have luck putting micropore tape over your grille and that might be adequate for you, combined with eq or something, I wanted a solution that nipped it in the bud rather than having 20 different eq settings across sources etc. best of luck, also I remember the zs6 was unusually harsh for the first 100 hours or so.

the reason I put micropore under the grille directly over the BA nozzles was I also found (well, my roll of tape, anyway) micropore on the grille directly left this slippery residue (*genuine 3m tape from pharmacy) that made my tips slide off, (maybe was the wrong tip from another kz that got mixed up) but whilst out and about having the tips keep sliding off was patience testing to say the least especially when one of my jams came on and I was feeling the groove. :D

if you don't wanna muck around with grilles and tapes and adhesives spray spray sasha grey..

just find some open cell foam from something Clean (obvious) that you can sacrifice for your tests and just cut little cylindrical drums of foam up and use the 3.5mm jack to stuf them into the nozzle of the tip and be sure to get the little pieces symmetrical and while your testing the first cut a pair of bigger and a pair of smaller pieces to test and tune your sound,... if it's not enough cut larger pair still and jam it into the nozzle. use care the grille isn't thick gauge you can damage it and you're just pushing foam in. best of luck.

you also don't want excess foam dangling out of the nozzle tickling your inner canal like a cheeky microscopic racoon just meddling about in the intimates of your ear, so chop it thicc and W.i.d.e as opposed to long and Slender XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back