Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 25, 2018 at 2:52 AM Post #34,966 of 64,232
Uh yes, i've done the same thing with foam tips to choose their size for my memt x5, think i'm gonna do that again for zsa tips, hoping i will not get that strange vacuum feeling that i feel with usual silicon tips because of the driver flex (at least i think it's the reason).

Heyy ciao cercavo qualche italiano che se ne intendesse Se puoi contattarmi in privato magari su face , per darmi qualche consiglio che sono nuovo di questo mondo. Ti mando il mio nome in privato

I'm italian too! Glad to see some italians here finally, we're gently coming into the chi-fi world like many other nations already!

Jul 25, 2018 at 6:20 AM Post #34,967 of 64,232
Uh yes, i've done the same thing with foam tips to choose their size for my memt x5, think i'm gonna do that again for zsa tips, hoping i will not get that strange vacuum feeling that i feel with usual silicon tips because of the driver flex (at least i think it's the reason).

I'm italian too! Glad to see some italians here finally, we're gently coming into the chi-fi world like many other nations already!
Viva l'Italia!
Io amo l'Italia.

And for those who say ED16 is less detailed are the people who are used to hot treble. I can agree on that, but harmonically that's wrong, as treble can colour the harmonics(reverberation etc) and can make cymbal shimmer to metallic or boxy(if weak)

And bass only colours mids, but treble is reason for recessed mids for most of case. Neutraliser taught me this

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #34,968 of 64,232
it amazes me how many people today have an altered perception of neutral or balanced. It seems that so many offerings are so bass heavy and V shaped that a lot of people now have the assumption that a truly balanced signature is mid-forward and bass shy.

Jul 25, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #34,970 of 64,232
Just re-read your post. To clarify you feel that most people who are now used to bass heavy and V shaped would find a neutral earphone to be mid-forward and bass shy to them. If this is what you meant then I totally agree. Would still like to know which earphones you consider neutral.

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #34,971 of 64,232
@Wiljen can you give an example of an earphone that you have that you consider to be neutral and one you consider to be balanced.
Etymotic ER4SR is neutral and Etymotic ER4XR, Massdrop plus, TFZ king pro, TFZ Secret Garden, Brainwavz B400 are balanced where Etymotic ER4XR and Massdrop are neutral balanced.

All Etymotic Flagship are anaemic sounding, True to life sounding because it is consistent pressure in beam form from BA, this makes it sound lifeless compared to neutral dynamic earphone. Dynamic earphones have different pressure on different parts of diaphragm which is coupled due to narrow nozzle.

TinAudio T2(not that neutral, but still considered a neutral champ on budget) sounds more natural than Etymotic ER4, whereas Etymotic sounds more harmonically and tonally correct.

For fit/comfort I'd go ZSA. I find them the most comfortable of all KZ I own.
Agree

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #34,973 of 64,232
Just re-read your post. To clarify you feel that most people who are now used to bass heavy and V shaped would find a neutral earphone to be mid-forward and bass shy to them. If this is what you meant then I totally agree. Would still like to know which earphones you consider neutral.

You got exactly the point. If you put 10 headphones in front of most people and told them to pick the most neutral of the bunch, 9 out of 10 people will pick one with elevated bass.

As a recent example, by definition, the ES4 is pretty well balanced, but far from neutral. Balance being defined as the relative loudness of the upper and lower half of the audio spectrum where neutral implies equal energy at all frequencies along the way. There is no denying that the ES4 is a V when you look at the FR chart but when split down the middle the amount of energy is roughly equal on either side of the cut. By contrast, the MEE M6 pro and brainwavz b400 come closer to neutral in that no single frequency is particularly lifted above any other in the signature. (admitted neither is perfectly neutral but trying to stick with examples most will recognize).

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #34,977 of 64,232
@Wiljen Thanks for your reply. The earphones I use to as a gauge for neutrality are Havi B3, Vivo XE800, Hifiman RE400, Advanced M4 and UiiSii Hi-905. So I think we are in the same ball park I'm just in the cheaper seats.

I've spent most of my life in those upper deck seats and there are some amazing products there. Its a good time to be in audio as 20 years ago those bleachers couldn't see the field, now an occasional fly ball comes our way.

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #34,979 of 64,232
I read that the body is too small and you have to rely on the cable hook and the the tip if you want to keep them from falling.

That’s not all that uncommon, and nothing wrong with that per se. 75% of my IEMs are like that, including every piston style IEM.

Besides, if you think about it, in inside meatus of your ear don’t really hold any IEM in place (except CEIMs). If you remove the tip and cable from 99% of universal IEMs, and tilt your head down, they would fall right out of your ears. So it is the tip and cable that holds universal IEMs in place.

Jul 25, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #34,980 of 64,232
The ZS3 is still my favorite IEM for running and any type of sports. The IEM just feels like it's molded into your ear and delivers a solid bass which is awesome when you need that motivation to push yourself a little bit harder. I'm still waiting eagerly for the ZS4's release.

Until then it's pretty much the ZS10 for work and ZS3 for running for me. The ZS6 has taken a back burner since it's kind of fatiguing to listen to for hours on end compared to the ZS10/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back