Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 1, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #34,293 of 64,191
I was looking between the ate and the zs3 since they are around 8usd each. Which is better or are the more expensive ones much better eg zst? Also there seems to be millions of competing chi fi iems eg ve monk - are there any that are better than kz for the price? Thanks!
Seriously....asking for shure sound on KZ thread...
LoL

Ummm lemme think....

Get a ZS6 slater mod

Jul 2, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #34,295 of 64,191
I think many of us who rushed into buying the ZS10 and ended slightly overwhelmed should try different cables or test for polarity issues. I just swapped cables with the ZST over the weekend. The ZS10 has come alive!

The shrill, oddly empty, bass-less and oddly wide sound-staging has reduced drastically.

Jul 2, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #34,296 of 64,191
I think many of us who rushed into buying the ZS10 and ended slightly overwhelmed should try different cables or test for polarity issues. I just swapped cables with the ZST over the weekend. The ZS10 has come alive!

The shrill, oddly empty, bass-less and oddly wide sound-staging has reduced drastically.
I've tried everything. Polarity checks, different cables, tons of different tips. The upper mids stayed overdrawn and harsh. Then I tried the last option to get the most out of the ZS10...

I sold it. :D

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #34,297 of 64,191
I'm new to all this and up for trying anything really. I guess I like clarity and soundstage with flat frequency response from what I've heard though. For example I was blown away by my samson sr850 headphones

Thanks
I have the Superlux HD681 that is very close to your Samson, yes, with a good dac/amp, they are great !
You would be realy deceived by the Ate. and even by the ZS3 that lacks the trebles of the Samson,
Wait or get a job to get the needed 20$ !
The Zst has real trebles, it is a very good earphone. trebles are a bit agressive out of the box but soften after 50 hours burnin.
# ZSR is great (21$) and the new ES4 is very good too tuned differently (17$ at GearBest)
# ES4 sound: big bass, very natural voices and piano, polite detailed highs
# ED16 (21$ Aliexpress) maybe somesound between the ZSR and ES4
There is a quality for the price with KZ that is realy safe & best, they are very ambitious, they begin to have a lot of experience.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #34,298 of 64,191

So I shouldn’t have order the zs10 :/?

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #34,300 of 64,191
Looks like KZ have released a nice KZ bluetooth adapter with much needed battery life

KZ BT 1.png
KZ BT 2.png
KZ BT 3.png

Looks it is supposed to have a 8 hour battery life, 2 pin angled / straight connector and MMCX connector, AptX and AAC and IPX5 waterproof rating.

Jul 2, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #34,303 of 64,191
WHAAT??? No, lol
Don`be surprised. This is KZ quality. I`m having same "whaaat?" with Otto describing ES4 mids "really harsh" which I can not tell about my ES4. Go figure.
How removing the grills affect the sound of them ?
it affects the highs i believe.
Not only highs. Rather whole FR clarity but in case of ES4 it is minor effect.
i didnt expect coil haven't buy zs10 tho
No need. I have modded IT01 and all the impressions and reviews about ZS10 + its shape, size and price - not appealing. I rather save that money for another IT01 and mod it, or something else from 100$ price bracket.
I even got ES4 just because of low price (14$), good looks/fit and good reviews. Luckily I got good unit as seems some ppl have pretty different impressions as I do, which make me thing there are 1) different revision/batches 2) poor QC 3) totally different source gear and hearing ? Idk, and I don`t care :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #34,304 of 64,191
For me ZS10 became excellent with EQ.

They obey settings extremely well and my ears cannot detect distortion, clipping or whatever issues are usually associated with EQ.

ZS10 was a technical powerhouse from the beginning, as already mentioned by most reviewers, with top notch soundstage, layering, imaging, separation and detail.

What was holding them to shine IMO was a number of tonality flaws that could successfully be corrected via EQ. Some like them just the way they are but unit variation might as well be an issue with such a complex engineering at a modest price so we might not listen to precisely the same thing.

I'm not a fan of EQ but I gave these try for the sake of all that tech goodness that could be glimpsed beneath the underwhelming frequency response.

My initial EQ settings have been further refined via Neutralizer which for me is only an indirect tool (it doesn't work directly with LG V30 nor with other dual dac sources I presume). Its EQ output was mimicked onto UAPP native EQ and then tweaked a bit. I use wide bores.

I cannot find flaws for them right now really. They are amazingly good with mids forward in beautiful balance with clean nuanced bass and nicely extended treble which makes instruments sound natural in an airy presentation.

Very busy metal acts such as Black Fast - Starving Out The Light sound very clean and also energetic while complex and very skilled compositions such as Fates Warning - Parallels are amazingly natural, musical and detailed.
The Night Flight Orchestra's hard rock performance is also fulfilling as well as a number of additional metal/rock albums I've tried.

Didn't run any classical or jazz so far and that's where my musical preferences pretty much end.

Over and out for now.

Capture+_2018-07-03-00-29-46.png

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #34,305 of 64,191
For me ZS10 became excellent with EQ.

They obey settings extremely well and my ears cannot detect distortion, clipping or whatever issues are usually associated with EQ.

ZS10 was a technical powerhouse from the beginning, as already mentioned by most reviewers, with top notch soundstage, layering, imaging, separation and detail.

What was holding them to shine IMO was a number of tonality flaws that could successfully be corrected via EQ. Some like them just the way they are but unit variation might as well be an issue with such a complex engineering at a modest price so we might not listen to precisely the same thing.

I'm not a fan of EQ but I gave these try for the sake of all that tech goodness that could be glimpsed beneath the underwhelming frequency response.

My initial EQ settings have been further refined via Neutralizer which for me is only an indirect tool (it doesn't work directly with LG V30 nor with other dual dac sources I presume). Its EQ output was mimicked onto UAPP native EQ and then tweaked a bit. I use wide bores.

I cannot find flaws for them right now really. They are amazingly good with mids forward in beautiful balance with clean nuanced bass and nicely extended treble which makes instruments sound natural in an airy presentation.

Very busy metal acts such as Black Fast - Starving Out The Light sound very clean and also energetic while complex and very skilled compositions such as Fates Warning - Parallels are amazingly natural, musical and detailed.
The Night Flight Orchestra's hard rock performance is also fulfilling as well as a number of additional metal/rock albums I've tried.

Didn't run any classical or jazz so far and that's where my musical preferences pretty much end.

Over and out for now.

It is generally recommended to lower your preamp/gain if you have one frequency that is above the norm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back