Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 1, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #34,276 of 63,985
Do u have small ears?

I don't know the answer to that. I have never compared my ears to those of others. Maybe they are average? Medium ears?

chi-fi is making me mad and crazy at the same time

I know.. there are too many choices and KZ are not the only choices. What do you have now?

Get an ED9 if you do not yet have it. Get the black one... I think it is an updated version.

sku_430654_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #34,278 of 63,985
I've read that online by many people, mids are not natural and so much recessed, bass is ok, highs are not detailed, soundstage is nothing special. Build and construction are fabulous. That's what i've read online by multiple people.
WHAAT??? No, lol

I only had kz zs3 but i had the chance to try the ed9: imho not enough sub-bass and too much bright mid-high frequencies, even sibilant at times. They are heavy and the nozzle is so long, it creates a strange discomfort feeling
My daily drivers are Memt x5
I don't know the answer to that. I have never compared my ears to those of others. Maybe they are average? Medium ears?

I know.. there are too many choices and KZ are not the only choices. What do you have now?

Get an ED9 if you do not yet have it. Get the black one... I think it is an updated version.

sku_430654_1.jpg

My only problem is the shape, but i can just see people with big ears reviewing this monstors like zs6, revonext qt2 and so on. The only one that could sure fit me would be the tin audio t2, but it's out of range with the price and i've read u have to mod it in order to have a good bass, and i'm extremely bad in modding headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #34,279 of 63,985
i had the chance to try the ed9: imho not enough sub-bass and too much bright mid-high frequencies, even sibilant at times.

That is not what I hear with the ED9... that sounds like they need a tip change.

@nxnje I just had a thought. You might like the Memt T5. I like it better than the X5. It is extremely comfortable being a pod rather than an iem. When I got mine I was shocked at how good it sounded.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #34,280 of 63,985
I've read that online by many people, mids are not natural and so much recessed, bass is ok, highs are not detailed, soundstage is nothing special. Build and construction are fabulous. That's what i've read online by multiple people.

Okay, so you don't actually own them. That makes sense now. They're nearly as detailed as the ZS6 but more realistic sounding with some of the best tone and timbre of anything KZ has released. Mids are set back a bit, but not so far as to be a hindrance. Everything is still very intelligible. Bass is lightly elevated, not nearly to the extent of the ZSR or ZS10, and is very well controlled and highly textured. Yup, sound stage is pretty average but it counters that with accurate imaging, layering, and separation. For the same price it makes the ZST obsolete imo, and despite costing nearly half the price compares well with the ZS6, ZSR, and ZS10. For 20 bucks it's an insanely good earphone.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #34,281 of 63,985
IMHO they are different sounding and I could identify them blindly.
That's when you take the extremes. Blend them all in a test and it becomes very, very hard.

Jul 1, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #34,282 of 63,985
I had tried to change the tips and i even tried them with my foam ones, still didn't like them.
The T5 were one of the headphones i was interested in when i first heard about em, but they're not in ear and i have problems wearing the earbuds which doesn't go into the ear-canal, i miss that rumble i feel with the deep basses of an IEM. I know, i'm a difficult guy with ears, and that's why i'm struggling to find a good piece of headphones that can be a huge step up and can even be comfortable IEMS
That is not what I hear with the ED9... that sounds like they need a tip change.

@nxnje I just had a thought. You might like the Memt T5. I like it better than the X5. It is extremely comfortable being a pod rather than an iem. When I got mine I was shocked at how good it sounded.

You're one of the few guys that find those a gem.
I don't know what to believe atm, i trust you but i should even trust many bad things about em as sound perception is different.
It's not i don't wanna try, but i always order from aliexpress and it takes like 45 days from where i am and i even have to pay my studies so if i buy one of them i don't like i can't pick another one.

I've read online someone thinks like u said, but there are 20% of the ones who actually own them, they all prefer the es4 instead of the zsa. Zsa has a fantastic form factor as i can see, but i'm really confused about so many contrastant reviews.
That could be 2 cases:
1. everyone hears different the same set of headphones
2. QC sucks and many of em sound different
Okay, so you don't actually own them. That makes sense now. They're nearly as detailed as the ZS6 but more realistic sounding with some of the best tone and timbre of anything KZ has released. Mids are set back a bit, but not so far as to be a hindrance. Everything is still very intelligible. Bass is lightly elevated, not nearly to the extent of the ZSR or ZS10, and is very well controlled and highly textured. Yup, sound stage is pretty average but it counters that with accurate imaging, layering, and separation. For the same price it makes the ZST obsolete imo, and despite costing nearly half the price compares well with the ZS6, ZSR, and ZS10. For 20 bucks it's an insanely good earphone.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #34,283 of 63,985
I know, i'm a difficult guy with ears, and that's why i'm struggling to find a good piece of headphones that can be a huge step up and can even be comfortable IEMS

Maybe you should just continue to enjoy your Memt X5 and stop overthinking everything. Just relax and enjoy your music. Maybe discover some new music... even a genre that you have never tried. When the right "upgrade" does appear hopefully you will know.

Jul 1, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #34,285 of 63,985
The T5 were one of the headphones i was interested in when i first heard about em, but they're not in ear and i have problems wearing the earbuds which doesn't go into the ear-canal, i miss that rumble i feel with the deep basses of an IEM.

i know this is the KZ thread but as the subject has come up I will say this.

The Memt T5 is not really an earbud. It is a pod... kind of between an iem and an earbud. If you look at this photo of mine, you will see that the openings point into your ear canal. With some ears it will go in a little... it does with mine. They are extremely comfortable and sound MUCH better than you might expect. They are metal and they are magnetized so that they stick together like in the photo... helps keep the cable from tangling during storage.

R0013511.JPG

Jul 1, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #34,286 of 63,985
I was looking between the ate and the zs3 since they are around 8usd each. Which is better or are the more expensive ones much better eg zst? Also there seems to be millions of competing chi fi iems eg ve monk - are there any that are better than kz for the price? Thanks!

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #34,287 of 63,985
I was looking between the ate and the zs3 since they are around 8usd each. Which is better or are the more expensive ones much better eg zst? Also there seems to be millions of competing chi fi iems eg ve monk - are there any that are better than kz for the price? Thanks!

What kind of sound profile are you looking for? That will help you get more meaningful recommendations, which you will ultimately be happier with.

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #34,288 of 63,985
What kind of sound profile are you looking for? That will help you get more meaningful recommendations, which you will ultimately be happier with.

I'm new to all this and up for trying anything really. I guess I like clarity and soundstage with flat frequency response from what I've heard though. For example I was blown away by my samson sr850 headphones

Thanks

Jul 1, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #34,290 of 63,985
I'm new to all this and up for trying anything really. I guess I like clarity and soundstage with flat frequency response from what I've heard though. For example I was blown away by my samson sr850 headphones

Thanks

I forgot to ask what genres you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back