Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #32,956 of 63,845
I would strongly suggest people refrain from saying these kind of 'beat around the bush' comments folks! People have been getting permanently banned lately, as there seems to be a low moderator tolerance about this topic...

I would hate to see more good people banned :frowning2:
I don't care whether I get banned. I am not even aware of these rules regarding not mentioning certain iems. So, being someone who doesn't hang around head fi 24/7, if I share some details on what I bought, I get banned because those iems are forbidden to be discussed? Please tell me it is not so, otherwise I would delete my account myself.
I have no interest in supporting a website with such ridiculous rules.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #32,957 of 63,845
Hello guys!
I have been reading this thread for at least 500-600 pages, when I bought KZ ATE (transparent black), through 2 pairs of ZS3 to ZS6.
Now i'm fairly happy with ZS6 (red) but still ZS3 are far more comfortable for daily use so i'm looking into some new KZ models.

I've been eyeballing KZ ZSR/ED16/ZS10 and some TRN like V20 or V60. What i enjoy is deep bass (i'm a basshead) with large amount of sub rather than mid bass and i don't mind mids that are just a bit recessed but not overwhelmingly recessed. I have ZS6 and sibilance is there but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I'm looking for those things and comfort, how they sit in ears, cause i don't have any problems with eartips.

If You know that someone will fit better for me than those listed than i'll be happy to check them of course :)

EDIT: I haven't mentioned the source, for most of the time it's xDuoo XQ-23 (bluetooth DAC/Amp)

I think you would like the ZSR or ES4.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #32,958 of 63,845
Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #32,959 of 63,845
Hello guys!
I have been reading this thread for at least 500-600 pages, when I bought KZ ATE (transparent black), through 2 pairs of ZS3 to ZS6.
Now i'm fairly happy with ZS6 (red) but still ZS3 are far more comfortable for daily use so i'm looking into some new KZ models.

I've been eyeballing KZ ZSR/ED16/ZS10 and some TRN like V20 or V60. What i enjoy is deep bass (i'm a basshead) with large amount of sub rather than mid bass and i don't mind mids that are just a bit recessed but not overwhelmingly recessed. I have ZS6 and sibilance is there but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I'm looking for those things and comfort, how they sit in ears, cause i don't have any problems with eartips.

If You know that someone will fit better for me than those listed than i'll be happy to check them of course :)

EDIT: I haven't mentioned the source, for most of the time it's xDuoo XQ-23 (bluetooth DAC/Amp)
The TRN V20 has great sub bass! It is also nicely detailed in mids and highs and does not have an overshadowing mid bass. You might also consider the BGVP Dm5 it has monstrous sub bass. Bit more expensive tho...

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #32,960 of 63,845
Finally tossed my hat in the ring with this whole Chi-Fi craze after OnePlus sent me their wireless bullets to review. Long story short, they were advertised to have great sound quality, but they're really just all mids. So, to prove a point, I ordered the ES4 along with the BT3 cable and some SpinFits to even out the pricing. More or less, I wanted to show these guys what happens when you pay for branding and somewhat useless features.

Anyway, I ordered my ES4 from Amazon with rush shipping, they came in yesterday, and went straight in the ears. Out of the box, bass impact and extension are massive and the top-end is just a little sharp. After cooking them with tones and sweeps overnight, the harshness almost completely went away and I'm now left with a pair that just about represents my version of a perfect sound signature. I think I messaged my wife raving that they shouldn't sound this good for the price...

Personal preference for now is to use Dekoni Mercury tips and that definitely provides some nice comfort and doesn't seem to require massive insertion to get good bass response. Tonality leans towards warm and laid-back; I'd dare say they sound "cozy." Stage width isn't huge, but it's good enough for most material.

Now here's the problem. I ran them through my test playlist on Spotify and they get a little overloaded on material with constant heavy basslines (mainly the hip-hop tracks). Tokimonsta's track overwhelmed the ES4, but everything else played out great.

I also picked up the silver cable, but didn't realize the connectors weren't angled, so fit is really awkward.

They look and feel good, though. Definitely a keeper.

Edit - God, is this really my first post? I've been lurking for years.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #32,961 of 63,845
Finally tossed my hat in the ring with this whole Chi-Fi craze after OnePlus sent me their wireless bullets to review. Long story short, they were advertised to have great sound quality, but they're really just all mids. So, to prove a point, I ordered the ES4 along with the BT3 cable and some SpinFits to even out the pricing. More or less, I wanted to show these guys what happens when you pay for branding and somewhat useless features.

Anyway, I ordered my ES4 from Amazon with rush shipping, they came in yesterday, and went straight in the ears. Out of the box, bass impact and extension are massive and the top-end is just a little sharp. After cooking them with tones and sweeps overnight, the harshness almost completely went away and I'm now left with a pair that just about represents my version of a perfect sound signature. I think I messaged my wife raving that they shouldn't sound this good for the price...

Personal preference for now is to use Dekoni Mercury tips and that definitely provides some nice comfort and doesn't seem to require massive insertion to get good bass response. Tonality leans towards warm and laid-back; I'd dare say they sound "cozy." Stage width isn't huge, but it's good enough for most material.

Now here's the problem. I ran them through my test playlist on Spotify and they get a little overloaded on material with constant heavy basslines (mainly the hip-hop tracks). Tokimonsta's track overwhelmed the ES4, but everything else played out great.

I also picked up the silver cable, but didn't realize the connectors weren't angled, so fit is really awkward.

Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet.

Jun 1, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #32,962 of 63,845
Welcome to Head-fi and sorry about your wallet.
Oh my wallet's screwed for years, but I'm learning to find the deals more and more lately. Appreciate the warm welcome.

Jun 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #32,963 of 63,845
Pioneer CH9T is a comparable upgrade IMO. I'm sure there are others, as that seems to be a very crowded (and competitive) price range lately.

BTW, there's a gently used CH9T for sale in the for sale section right now for a great price.

Can't go wrong with the CH9T. One of my favorite but I sold them because of the Ibasso IT01.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #32,965 of 63,845
I have trouble deciding between KZ ES4, ZSA, ZS6 and ZS10. I have read so many reviews and personal opinion, but I can't decide. One says A is better than B etc.... Although most prefer ZS6, right? So, I have doubts about which model I should choose.
I just took a leap and went with the ES4. So far, not disappointed. What kind of sound signature are you after?

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #32,966 of 63,845
I just took a leap and went with the ES4. So far, not disappointed. What kind of sound signature are you after?

I have been audializing (thinking in how I want a IEM to sound in my head, not sure if I can explain this well) about the sound. I have a Bluedio T4S headphone, and while I was listening to a song, I was also *audializing* the sound of the song and comparing (hmm, mental vs physical audio...lol, this can't be, but you get my point) it to the sound of the Bluedio.

So my sound signature is: clearity and dynamic response, especially in the mid and high. The bass helps the mid and high sound and must not be overkill but just right. Furthermore, the bass must also be clear and dynamic. The overall sound of the IEM must be energetic and have a wide sound stage.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #32,967 of 63,845
I have been audializing (thinking in how I want a IEM to sound in my head, not sure if I can explain this well) about the sound. I have a Bluedio T4S headphone, and while I was listening to a song, I was also *audializing* the sound of the song and comparing (hmm, mental vs physical audio...lol, this can't be, but you get my point) it to the sound of the Bluedio.

So my sound signature is: clearity and dynamic response, especially in the mid and high. The bass is something that helps the mid and high sound it must not be overkill, but the bass must also be clear and dynamic. The overall sound of the IEM must be energetic and have a wide sound stage.

Will this be your first IEM? What is your price range?

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #32,968 of 63,845

So my sound signature is: clearity and dynamic response, especially in the mid and high. The bass is something that helps the mid and high sound it must not be overkill, but the bass must also be clear and dynamic. The overall sound of the IEM must be energetic and have a wide sound stage.
Then I think you can scratch the ES4 off your list. To my ears, they definitely focus more on the midrange-down.

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #32,969 of 63,845

So my sound signature is: clearity and dynamic response, especially in the mid and high. The bass is something that helps the mid and high sound, it must not be overkill, but the bass must also be clear and dynamic. The overall sound of the IEM must be energetic and have a wide sound stage.
Will this be your first IEM? What is your price range?
Yes, this will be my first IEM. Also, my price range is ~€50

Jun 1, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #32,970 of 63,845
Yes, this will be my first IEM. Also, my price range is ~€50

What is your music source and what will you be using them for? Commuting? Working out? Relaxing in the garden?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back