Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 30, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #32,867 of 63,914
Meanwhile ED16 is in the house and in my ears:)

What are your impressions of the ED16?

The real question is..........drumroll please

giphy-47.gif

......how do they differ from the ZSR (same exact drivers)?

boop.gif

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #32,870 of 63,914
Spinfits, I have several packs of them they came with some IEM's I bought, no matter what I try, I cannot get them to work, I just do not get on with them! In fact, there are very few silicone seals that I do get on with, they just don't seal in my ears. But saying that, I got a set of fluffy silicones free with a cable once and they are brilliant, have not been able to find them since though! Foamie's all the way!

May 30, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #32,871 of 63,914
You guys should start a band called "the serious tip rollers". I assume most of us here own a ton of different tips, and while there are some that are clearly junk, let's not pretend that it doesn't all come down to personal preference (still don't understand all the love for spinfits).

Kz starline tips are great IMO, but I generally prefer foam tips for long term wear. The large starlines are great when I need to take IEMs in and out a lot.

Yup. Tip rolling is completly personal preference. Everybody has differant physical makeup. Our ears are all different as well as our ear canals. Finding the right tip can make a huge differance.

I just personally hate taking the time switching and trying differant tips. I just wanna plug and play.

May 30, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #32,872 of 63,914
I pretty much go starlines, new bee foamies then if I'm not satisfied with either I'll start truly rolling.

I agree it's generally a pain and I tend to have best results with with the new bees and starlines. The only pair I can think where I don't use those are my ety er4p which I used the triple flange, and then the audeeze isine20's which I use the included medium groovy tips. Both those are odd ducks though.

In general I think I must have large, shallow ear canals.

IMO spinfits seem to be made for those with deep ear canals..... For me the Starlines go just as deep. Never tried spiral dots, but come on, they're not that different.

Overall, tip rolling for me is a non-issue, if I get a good seal, any changes in sound signature are tiny.

May 30, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #32,873 of 63,914
25247F7C-65E5-4720-8AF8-A1E67A0B95D4.jpeg
Guys, I am giving away this free code. For whoever in need of new DAP or DAC. Not sure where to post so I will just post this here. You have around 30 hours left.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #32,874 of 63,914
This. I realize it's personal but they are without a doubt the most uncomfortable tips I've ever tried and incredibly difficult to get a good seal with. For me they fail in the very thing they were seemingly meant to do of accommodating the different insertion angles of various earphones because if my insertion angle/depth is even slightly off they just don't seal at all. If most silicone tips take 1-2 seconds and a single try to insert properly, those usually take me 10 or more tries and on at least half the earphones don't work at all.

Starlines all the way. I think they are my #1 tip of choice on more earphones than any other tip. They also work better for me than every expensive tip I've tried except Spiral Dots, which I consider to be their equal but different.

For me Spinfits work best. I'm using 145 and 155 with my KZ headphones, fit, comfort and sound is better than foams. Also on the IT01 most tips would change the sound when opening my mouth, Spinfits work great due to the rotating head. Different tips for different ears.

May 30, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #32,876 of 63,914
Never tried spiral dots, but come on, they're not that different.
I thought this way for a long time because I can definitely agree that at ~$15 for 3 pairs you may not like they're overpriced. But the truth is I haven't tried another tip that's quite like them. I have very wide ear canals and most large tips don't seal for me. The Spiral Dot large is probably the widest I've tried. Also, similar to the the Starlines, they are at their widest in the middle and not the bottom, like most eartips, providing a good seal without requiring a very deep insertion. They're also made of a tougher silicone, again like the Starlines, so they don't deform when inserted the way some of those paper-thin silicones do (I'm looking at you Xiaomi). Honestly, I'd happily use Starlines on all my earphones but not all of them like such a long tip. That's where the Spiral Dots come in.

I've also seen several measurements with Spiral Dots where they actually smooth out frequency responses in ways that other tips do not. I'm not sure if I buy into the marketing of their special grooves and texture having any meaningful effect, but my ears tend to agree. They do not emphasize mids in the same way as most other wide bore tips, such as Whirlwinds.

Last edited:
May 30, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #32,877 of 63,914
No, but there's a possibilty that certain BA drivers are out of phase, hence some frequency ranges wouldn't sound right.
And that wouldn't be as easy to fix.

Anyway, mids on my ZS10s don't sound (much) recessed, just a bit harsh sometimes in the upper region.

After some extensive listening, I've decided nothing sounds amiss enough for me to suspect a miswired driver lol... I guess I was just being overly paranoid... Only quirks I have with this thing are the recessed vocals and the peak in the vocals that tends to get harsh... Still, I wish I'd gone for the TinAudio T2 which would've saved me all this paranoia lol..

May 30, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #32,879 of 63,914
So anyway, is there a phase test for miswired individual drivers?

Multi drivers are harder to detect since you'll still hear the drivers which are properly wired. Individual tests you would need to take them apart which isn't an easy task or worth the risk. If they sound right using this test: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php I'd not even bother, otherwise, the paranoia will make you don't appreciate it.

May 30, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #32,880 of 63,914
Multi drivers are harder to detect since you'll still hear the drivers which are properly wired. Individual tests you would need to take them apart which isn't an easy task or worth the risk. If they sound right using this test: https://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_polaritycheck.php I'd not even bother, otherwise, the paranoia will make you don't appreciate it.

Yeah, my zs10 passed those tests but I'm afraid the paranoia and my ocd are getting the better of me xD, especially considering how prevalent these quality control issues are... But they sound perfectly fine... I'm just scared I'll miss out on better sound cause of miswired drivers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back