Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 7, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #27,931 of 63,884
Hi, can anyone recommend cheap foam tips for kz zs6 same size as comply T400 in large or medium. I've bought 3 lots of crap either to small or very very small.
Although you're asking for T400 (4.9mm) size may I suggest instead you consider the T300 (4.5mm) size instead? The lack of any real sort of lip has me leaving the larger diameter foamies behind in my ears. The slightly smaller nozzle diameter of the tip means it'll grip the IEM nozzle better. This seller offers other quantities and sizes including T200 (4.0mm) size which you can still fit into the ZS6 nozzle and it should reduce the treble a bit because of the narrower nozzle. Whether you like the reduction or not is why I suggested the larger T300 which is still smaller than the ZS6 nozzle. The seller will also customize your order, ie just medium, only red, half medium and half large, etc.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/8-p...iber-Ear-Pads-cap-memory-ear/32837429305.html

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #27,932 of 63,884
Has KZ ever addressed the zs5 v1 and v2 issue?

To my knowledg the only way we learned about the ZS5(ii) is because of published imagery.

Original image:
ZS5 version 1.jpg
zs5-5-1.jpg

Subsequent image:
ZS5 version 2b.jpg
HTB12fB1XiERMeJjy0Fcq6A7opXaX.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #27,934 of 63,884
In case anyone cares about these mesh nozzle screens, the ZS3 uses the 4.0mm size.

I was uncomfortable rolling with no screen at all (I had removed the red filter), so I added the stainless mesh screen to protect from earwax. I've noticed no sound difference with the stainless screen vs no screen at all. I assume that's because the mesh on the stainless screen is much coarser vs the stock red screen (which is a extremely fine/restrictive fabric; probably nylon).

If it would interest anyone, I can use calipers & measure all of my IEMs and list what size screens they all use as well. Because occasionally those screens do fall off or need to be replaced from time to time.
interested in this mod.

How do you adhere the new stainless mesh screens ?
Is there enough glue left from the red screens or do you need to add more ?

Thanks

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #27,935 of 63,884
interested in this mod.

How do you adhere the new stainless mesh screens ?
Is there enough glue left from the red screens or do you need to add more ?

Thanks

The stainless mesh screens come with its own glue on the edge. :wink:

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #27,937 of 63,884
Ah ha, thanks.

Maybe silly question, but do these screens ever come off and get stuck in peoples' ears ?
Not so silly. I too was afraid of that incident!
Never happened, though.
Nevertheless, I gently pressed around the mesh with the roundest edge of the caliper I used to put them on, and tested thoroughly if by any chance they would unglue themselves and come out.
Bottom line is, it's safe.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #27,938 of 63,884
Do you mind sharing why you choose to go with the ZS3 instead of the ZS6 (or ZS4,ZS5) ?

I recently purchased ATE-S and ZS6, to try, and hoping to make the ZS6 my new exercise earphone with the Bluetooth cable. ATE sounds good, ZS6 has incredible potential but unfortunately, the over-stated treble is hurting my ears. I am considering to try different models that are compatible with the Bluetooth cable. Cheers!

The ZS5 I got i just use with the upgrade cable. Since it is the most expensive I have out of the KZ line-up i'm not gonna use it for gym. And the ZS3 got a very good firm fit, the ZST slipped a few times out of my ear when I was doing some bench press etc.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #27,939 of 63,884
The Knowledge Zenith guys are quite clever - while their older models with permanently attached cables cable with actually pretty decent (although slightly sticky) cables, the new models with removable cables are equipped with rather low quality cables, which is a smart trick to get their customers to also buy one of their upgrade cables that don't only look great but are also very flexible (and super inexpensive for how good they are - although it seems like the people who solder the pins sometimes don't give an eff about the polarity and which side is which).

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #27,940 of 63,884
Not so silly. I too was afraid of that incident!
Never happened, though.
Nevertheless, I gently pressed around the mesh with the roundest edge of the caliper I used to put them on, and tested thoroughly if by any chance they would unglue themselves and come out.
Bottom line is, it's safe.

Good to hear.
Thanks.

Just ordered the Dust Shell Stainless Screens.
I had them in my cart last night before actually purchasing them.
The seller messaged me and said because of the Spring Festival in China the shop will basically be closed for a bit.
He said best to order by Feb. 9th

Feb 7, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #27,941 of 63,884
Besides the ultra-rare ZS1 v1, consider this for your basshead needs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tia...35-SE846-HIFI-Stereo-Earbuds/32834128070.html

To quote @B9Scrambler:

"this is one of the few iems in my collection that might unseat the original brass-ringed KZ ZS1 as my preferred guilty pleasure bass cannon"​

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-342#post-13909286

Both good choices but my KZ Bass Bomber is my ZSN1 Mini's:wink: Don't know what it is about them but they do ring my bell:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Garden Hose Anyone.jpg

If no one has ever caught these guys in concert before I highly recommend seeing them:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #27,942 of 63,884
In light of your dilemma, let me make a few suggestions.

1) I and others can make some suggestions. However, spending someone else's money simply comes with an enormous sense responsibility if one gets it wrong. I will make some suggestions but your best bet is to do a bit of research here.

https://www.aproear.co.uk/

The site reviews many IEMs that are under $50. It also uses a scale to illustrate the sound of the particular IEM.

For instance:

You can see that this IEM has more sub-bass(8) than midrange(6). It has more treble(7) than midrange(6) and so on.

You can review many inexpensive, but great sounding IEMs on this site

2) Some researchers find this site useful, also.

https://audiobudget.com/product/MEMT/X5

If I were in your shoes I would take $60 - $75 and discover my own preferences.

A good starter list for $60+/- is as follows:
KZ ATR ($10) great middle of the road IEM
KZ ZS3 ($10) most comfortable IEM if it fits your ears
MEMT X5 ($20) tiny sized energetic sound
BossHiFi S1 ($20) focused warm clarity
Grand total $60+/-.

KZ ATR

KZ ZS3

MEMT X5

BossHiFi S1

All four IEMs sound good but they are very different from each other.

When all else fails, just ask yourself "What would Archer do?"

Thank you so much! I think I will end up ordering a few to try myself. Have you tried the KZ ES3? It seems to be less sibilant as well...

https://www.aproear.co.uk/ seems like an awesome website for reference! I already have few more option on top of your suggestions (Moreblue DM8, QKZ DM300, Fonge T01) also curious about the Tinaudio T2, which seems to VERY bright but review mentions "the vocals are warm and a little more ‘real’ when compared to the KZ ZS5 for instance" which made me curious..

Another one that grabbed my attention is Tiandrenhe TD08, which seems to be well-fitting to my initial requirements and B9 speaks so highly of it. I should research further on this one I guess :)

Both ATE-S and ZS6 are still on burn-in and I think comply tips will arrive tomorrow. I will post updates !!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #27,943 of 63,884
… which seems to VERY bright but review mentions "the vocals are warm and a little more ‘real’ when compared to the KZ ZS5 for instance" which made me curious…
Vocals can be considered as midrange, especially male ones so it is possible to have warm vocals but still have shrill highs which is what I take the word bright to mean when mentioning sound.

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #27,944 of 63,884
Vocals can be considered as midrange, especially male ones so it is possible to have warm vocals but still have shrill highs which is what I take the word bright to mean when mentioning sound.

I think the term shrill is a bit harsh. Bright can be a good thing if not over done just like most other things. Slightly elevated treble tends to make music sound more vibrant and enhances the perception of detail. Overly bright is where harsh, or shrill, or sibilant becomes more synonymous. Its all a matter of degree.

Feb 7, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #27,945 of 63,884
Current 5th gen regular ATE should not have any spikes in highs. ATE-S might sound different.
Its not like the ZS6 but it still bothers me a little on some tracks. It is still on burn-in and I am still waiting for the comply tips and will post updates here!

The ZS5 I got i just use with the upgrade cable. Since it is the most expensive I have out of the KZ line-up i'm not gonna use it for gym. And the ZS3 got a very good firm fit, the ZST slipped a few times out of my ear when I was doing some bench press etc.
I am curious about the ZS3 fit. Is it much different than the ZS6 (I know ZS6 housing is a little smaller than the ZS5 but thats all I know). Have you had chance to try the ES3? A comparison with ES3 and ZS6 fit would help me a lot.

Thank you for the clarification! Still learning :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back