1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. Limjialok
    And i know ed12 is a failed kz product. I tried that and it feels weird, or its my sound perferences?

I currently have a zs3 and zse.
    How would u guys rate es3,zs3, zse, zs5, zs6 and zsr in terms of best to worst, not taking the price into consideration
    I am not a bass head, i am more of a vocal person? Esp those vocal music with min background music. Something like untitled by G-Dragon, empty by winner, white night by taeyang, thinking out loud and photograph by ed sherran, Loser and If you by big bang.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. nadezhda 6004
    Thanks for answering.
    I don't think a lot of people here have ZS 5v1. So let's talk about V2.
    Are you going to purchase ZSR?

To All
    I am still waiting that somebody will compare ZSR with ZS6 or at least review ZSR here. It's just a request. I would not like to buy something which is similar or worse in sound quality than ZS6. Hope I do not sound rude.

3. mbwilson111
    Have not been able to enjoy much music lately. We have been down with the flu. The last thing I feel like doing is comparing IEMs...it is not something I enjoy doing anyway. I prefer to just get into my music and relax. The ZSRs arrived around the same time as some buds I was excited about...several pairs in fact. I also recently added some really nice headphones that I want to spend time with. Please do not base any decisions on my "verdict "...I did not know that a "final verdict" was expected. I feel overwhelmed.

BTW , I know I have seen quite a few impressions in here of the ZSR.

riffrafff and nadezhda 6004 like this.
  4. riffrafff
    Yeah, I'm fairly certain that clogged Eustachian tubes due to the flu might just skew one's hearing a tad. LOL. :darthsmile:

5. Makahl
    Wow, I was searching for this stainless mesh. Would you mind to share a link to buy it? Thank you!

6. nadezhda 6004
    Do you mean that ZS6 is bassier than ZSR? What about the punch? Which has more punch?
    I've just ordered ZSR and wanted to be ready what to expect.

7. nadezhda 6004
    What's the purpose of this stainless steel mesh?

8. Makahl
    Traditional mesh like the red on ZS3 uses cotton-ish fabric but it tames high frequency which is a thing isn't that necessary on ZS3 (imo). So stainless mesh won't tame high frequencies too much. But in my case, it's just because I lost the original ones. lol.

9. Slater
    Don't forget "fake drivers" that don't really do anything LOL

HungryPanda likes this.
  10. DocHoliday
    Thus far, two head-fi KZ thread participants chimed in. They are B9 and Wiljen.

B9's first impressions:
    Wiljen's review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsr.22905/reviews

Apparently, the ZSR is much brighter than the ATE. I think your best bet, if you'd l ike a KZ is to stick with the ATE, ATR or ED7, none of which have detachable cables and all of which are $10 or less on AliExpress.

THE ZS3 has a pronounced lower end and is brighter than the ATE.

In fact almost every IEM that Knowledge Zenith makes is brighter than the ATE. Even the ED12 which has rolled off treble is brighter because it has a shouty and unrefined midrange.

Perhaps we should approach this differently. What earphones have you enjoyed most in the past?

C2thew likes this.
  11. nadezhda 6004
    I am a kinda basshead. Thus, I am looking for IEMs with good subbass and bass. Recently I have purchased Ostry KC06A. They say they are bassy but I am not satisfied with them. Not enough bass for me in UrbanFun either.

12. TLDRonin
    So....

I took off the memory wire off my kz mmcx cable using a small knife carefully cutting between the gap of the metal wire and the cable. (I spent like 20 minutes in total which was absurd)

I finished one side perfectly, but hiccuped twice on the other side.

On one part I cut the clear part and the metal wire inside is exposed, and the other I cut part of the plastic cover off completely, and I think I actually cut a little of the silver wire.

Would this affect the sound in anyway? I didn’t use them before taking the memory wire off since I couldn’t get a decent deal with the annoying memory wire, and listening it to now it doesnt really sound broken

Should I just tape up those two spots on the wire?

13. Slater
    Besides the ultra-rare ZS1 v1, consider this for your basshead needs:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tia...35-SE846-HIFI-Stereo-Earbuds/32834128070.html

To quote @B9Scrambler:

"this is one of the few iems in my collection that might unseat the original brass-ringed KZ ZS1 as my preferred guilty pleasure bass cannon"​

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-342#post-13909286

rayliam80 and B9Scrambler like this.
  14. canzz
    Firstly, thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes I read B9's blog posts, its really informative and detailed. Hopefully it will continue with Part-5 :)

Today I was free and dedicated most of my time into determining what I want. Turns out, I dont know what I want.

On my father's payroll, I had the chance to listen to many high-end (not soo high) earphones like shure 215,535, etymotics, ath's, beyer dynamics etc. Not anymore..

The last one I had was Yamaha EPH-100 that I loved dearly. I thought what I wanted is something like my old Yamaha EPH-100. ZS6 confused me. I was sitting still thinking I cant reach to the price range where an earphone could impress me.

I know I need an earphone that sounds something like Yamaha EPH-100 where I can pump the volume up a little more to have a motivational boost during my runs but I cannot leave ZS6 just for this purpose. I still hope I can make it work one way or another! Because of the ZS6 now I want both :/

Currently, my thoughts on both are

- ATE-S good all around with a little EQ tweak it is good for any kind of music. A little less treble would allow me to pump the volume up a little more though.
    - ZS6 jaw-dropping in some songs, ear-hurting in others as of now but I feel like It slightly improved (dont know if its psychological as I really want to keep it). I know its not going to come to the point where the treble is similar to ATE-S with just burn-in but there is something with this earphone, I just cant seem to put it away, even with the faulty cable and crazy sibilance. Its too good to just eliminate. I will wait another day or two for the burn-in and the comply tips to arrive. Even if that doesn't help, I will try the 3M Micropore tape! I really want to make this work!

I would love to hear your opinion! Also I wonder other than KZ, what kind of sub 50$ brands, IEM's you could suggest for me.

Thanks a lot !!

Edit: Changed sub 100$ to sub 50$ as I want to compare with KZ

15. Slater
    That's really unfortunate friend.

To remove the wire you don't need a knife at all (which as you found, strongly risks damage to the conducting wire itself).

You simply dig at the very end of the memory wire with your fingernail (which will expose it through the thin heat shrink tubing they used to attach the memory wire), and then you "peel" the memory wires back like you are peeling a string cheese stick snack:

Untitled drawing (3).jpg

Then at the IEM end of the memory wire, sometimes you can pull the memory wire out, and other times you can't (which if you cant you just move it around in many directions to weaken it and it just snaps off).

As far as repairing your cut wire, since the insulation is the only thing cut (and not the copper conducting wire strands), I would just paint it with a few coats of "liquid electrical tape". You can purchase this at most "big box" hardware stores (Home Depot, Lowes) in the electrical section, or on Amazon/ebay. It's a flexible rubberized coating, that will be far superior to trying to wrap it with tape (it will look better too).

stmiller, Podster and rayliam80 like this.