Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #27,092 of 63,836
Jan 20, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #27,093 of 63,836
Dammit! 4BA! Why not 3+2? Or it's kinda "we need more piercing highs"???

More BAs don’t always = piercing highs. It all depends on the drivers used, the design, tuning, etc.

The Magaosi K5 is a 5BA, and it’s a fun, engaging IEM with lovely highs.

I do think KZ needs to branch out and try other BA models. They keep using the same 2 over and over, which is one of the reasons why their last 4-5 offerings sound fairly similar to one another.

Jan 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #27,094 of 63,836
or... You finally manage to save up from buying cheapos and jump to next tier of IEMs (which, IMHO, is much more sensible!). I just am into modding cheapo iems for learinig and testing different things :wink:

Jan 20, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #27,095 of 63,836
Thanks.
Why stop following the thread?
because otherwise you are going to turn into one of the maniacs around here with a dozen sets of KZs!

Jan 20, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #27,098 of 63,836
More BAs don’t always = piercing highs. It all depends on the drivers used, the design, tuning, etc.

I do think KZ needs to branch out and try other BA models. They keep using the same 2 over and over, which is one of the reasons why their last 4-5 offerings sound fairly similar to one another.
Yeah, I guess its gonna be interesting if KZ will do some experiment with another drivers.

Btw, can you recommend any model from KZ with good deep bass but with the same detailed mids and highs? Is only ZSR close to it?

Wow... Magaosi looks great and i believe it sounds great too. But it's way more expensive than i can afford for now...
I guess $100-150 is a maximum that i can spend.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:37 AM Post #27,099 of 63,836

+1.
There are cheaper Chinese BA drivers nowadays (bellsing/estron) with a similar design from Knowles which can be more interesting for KZ projects. Even for DIYers trying to learn how to tune or play with crossovers and etc... Someone made this list which can be helpful: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gFl8N3JvOi8HQrZbn8zxRMClBfxPpoh4XvQlzPyCki0/edit#gid=0

I always thought the idea of double BA at the nozzle would be more suitable for something like the TWFK's design since it has only one bore linking two BAs, thus it's easier to tune and you'll get all extension and avoid frequencies canceling each other due to possible phase problems or alignment problems might causing minor channel imbalance if you imagine how hard is keep that in high demand of production.

Btw, my perfect KZ would be ZS3's shell all black matte + ED9 filters options design or ala LZ A5 and configuration similar to DN2000 (DD for bass and TWFK for mid/treble). They have all knowledge to create something like this and I wouldn't mind paying the mid-range ($50-100) category for it.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #27,100 of 63,836
Thanks.
Why stop following the thread?

Cause you'll be infected by the KZ disease and you'll never stop craving for the latest KZ earphone :wink:

Jan 20, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #27,102 of 63,836
I think I've had all of the KZ earphones in my basket so far!
Shall I stick with the ES3 and ZS5 as recommended above?

The ZSR triples look good to me!
I think you continue to spend money on headphones just because you have not found the right ones yet. Maybe better to have a look on another manufacturer? To buy more expensive ones but to stop on them and finally be happy with the sound you have? Without any "or" :)

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #27,103 of 63,836
The entire black nozzle of my left zs5 v2 came off when removing a tip. I reattached it with tape but the sound has changed. I still hear the high frequencies, but much quieter. Maybe I should block one BA in the right piece like Slater described to see if they match?
Disappointed with this issue, it's the first real build quality problem I've had with any of my KZ models.

Jan 20, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #27,104 of 63,836
The entire black nozzle of my left zs5 v2 came off when removing a tip. I reattached it with tape but the sound has changed. I still hear the high frequencies, but much quieter. Maybe I should block one BA in the right piece like Slater described to see if they match?
Disappointed with this issue, it's the first real build quality problem I've had with any of my KZ models.
I've had the same issue with a ZS5 nozzle which came off and I fixed it with cyanoacrylate glue. I think that now it sounds exactly like before.

Jan 20, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #27,105 of 63,836
Anyone else really disappointed in the ZS6? I find them noticeably worse-sounding than the ZS5. The treble is ridiculously hot. I appreciate the improvement in housing material, but jesus, a lot of tracks are ridiculously strident/harsh sounding out of these things. I am definitely not dealing with a phase issue or anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back