Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 19, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #27,061 of 63,834
Are there any measurements of the ZS5v2 anywhere and secondly did the same person/site also measure the ZS5v1? I would be curious to see how the measurements correspond to what people hear.

Third, is it possible to relocate one of the BA's back to it's original spot? I assume the shell was not modified, you would just have to deal with a lot of glue perhaps?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #27,062 of 63,834
Hey guys new head-fi'er here. I currently own a set of UE triple.fi. 10's, KZ ZS3's, and a KZ ZS6 that's in the mail. I.am.absoultely.in love with the fit of the ZS3 and when I heard that the KZ ZSR's had the same ergonomics as the KZ ZS3's, I was ready to order a set. I'm trying to get on the 9.99 deal but for some reason every time I get to that page at 09:00 UTC at 1 A.M. PST the price changes from 16.99 to 9.99 (but then shows $23.99 in the actual cart) -- darn gearbest. Anyone else having that problem?

The KZ ZS3's have pretty much become my daily drivers for when I run as they don't fall out of my ear compared to my UE triple fi 10's. Sure they don't sound as clear compared to triple fi's, however they isolate sound better and fit like a dream compared to the stock triple fi 10's. I'm hoping that the ZS6's are going to be that good as well (with the necessary mods of course--did my research well in advance).

anywho new member just saying hi!

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #27,063 of 63,834
Received the KZ ZS3 that I ordered on 22 december on Gearbest. Quite decent shipping time on these. What is weird is that the latest tracking update was 15 jan left processing center Malashevichy Poland, where it arrived on 13 jan. Meanwhile, no sign of the Superlux headset that has arrived there on 20 dec and the xiaomi gloves that arrived there 29 dec. Strange. Looks like they shoved those boxes in a corner and they will gather dust there till they cleared out the full storage?

About the ZS3, haven't noticed a defective yet, both sides seem to be working. The fit is amazing, they go deep in my ear and create a perfect seal. It feels a bit like vacuum when I have to pop them out. But due to the deep fit the sound sounds very muffled? What is weird is that if I press my fingers on the iem, I get a lot fuller sound, but if I lift my fingers they don't staf that way and go a lot more muffled again. Would I need to do some tiprolling?

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #27,069 of 63,834
… Third, is it possible to relocate one of the BA's back to it's original spot? I assume the shell was not modified, you would just have to deal with a lot of glue perhaps?
You know, I wondered this myself. Especially when a few folks had posted pics of the inside of the housing showing where the original location was and how it still was there since KZ didn't change the mold used to make the shells.

But I believe that there's another difference besides location of the BA between v2 and ZS6. They both either have a crossover that the v1 lacks or the other way around.

Perhaps @Slater or someone else can chime in with the answer.

Jan 19, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #27,070 of 63,834
Gentlemen and ladies, please, any advice, how can i increase/boost bass in my zs6 without using equalizers or some kind of freaky boosters? I really like my zs, but a little bit more of bass could be a cherry on the cake :)

1. Switch to a silicone tip with small bore, such as the included Starline tips.
2. Put a small piece of micropore tape over the bass vent hole:

ZS5-ZS6-Vent - Edited.jpg

3. If 1 and 2 still isn't enough, remove the piece of micropore tape from step 2 and totally seal the bass vent hole with a small piece of solid tape (masking tape, blue painter's tape, cello tape, foil tape, etc) or blue tac.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #27,071 of 63,834
With the interest of bluetooth cables atm, i have a question for the KZ gurus.

There are 2 cable styles commonly shown at the iem connection.
The angle (think zst) and straight (zs6)

Unfortunately i have not been able to find the actual pin diameter listed for either style. I do know there is 0.75mm and 0.78mm.
Do the pin sizes corrospond to a certain style of connector?

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #27,072 of 63,834
Are there any measurements of the ZS5v2 anywhere and secondly did the same person/site also measure the ZS5v1?

I have FR graphs of the ZS5v1 vs ZS6, which should be very very similar. Will those work for you?

Third, is it possible to relocate one of the BA's back to it's original spot?
You know, I wondered this myself. Especially when a few folks had posted pics of the inside of the housing showing where the original location was and how it still was there since KZ didn't change the mold used to make the shells.

But I believe that there's another difference besides location of the BA between v2 and ZS6. They both either have a crossover that the v1 lacks or the other way around.

Perhaps @Slater or someone else can chime in with the answer.

That would be an awful lot of work:

1. Without a way to dissolve the glue, you will end up having a lot of trouble trying to do this after-the-fact.
2. How and where will you run the wires? They are all sealed in with glue. Sure, you can remove the BA from the nozzle and physically move it, but routing the wiring will be problematic.
3. The drivers are wired differently in the ZS5 v2 and ZS6 than they are in the ZS5 v1. You would have to figure out what you're going to do with the wiring (keep it, rewire it like the ZS5 v1).
4. There is no crossover in the ZS5 v1. You would have to figure out what you're going to do with the crossover (keep it, remove it).

That's a whole lot of work for a <$15 IEM.

Jan 19, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #27,073 of 63,834
With the interest of bluetooth cables atm, i have a question for the KZ gurus.

There are 2 cable styles commonly shown at the iem connection.
The angle (think zst) and straight (zs6)

Unfortunately i have not been able to find the actual pin diameter listed for either style. I do know there is 0.75mm and 0.78mm.
Do the pin sizes corrospond to a certain style of connector?

98% of KZ stuff is 0.75mm.

There is ONE, count it ONE KZ IEM with 0.78mm - the original run of the ZS3.

If you buy 3rd party or stock 2-pin upgrade cables for anything KZ, it's almost certain that you'll want/need/receive 0.75mm cables.

You CAN buy 0.78mm 3rd party cables (not made for KZ), but they will permanently stretch out the KZ IEM pins. This may seem like an OK idea and it technically will work, but be aware that once the pins stretch out you'll never be able to go back to 0.75mm cables again (ie you'll always have to stick with 0.78mm 3rd party cables).

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #27,075 of 63,834
1. Switch to a silicone tip with small bore, such as the included Starline tips.
2. Put a small piece of micropore tape over the bass vent hole:

3. If 1 and 2 still isn't enough, remove the piece of micropore tape from step 2 and totally seal the bass vent hole with a small piece of solid tape (masking tape, blue painter's tape, cello tape, foil tape, etc) or blue tac.
Thanks a lot, i'll try it! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back