Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 2, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #22,636 of 63,868
Yep. I can definitely understand why some might balk at the idea of dropping $30-40 on these only to need a new set of tips and a different cable, but I'd argue the sound that results is worth the total expense. At least that's my first impression. Going to give it more time like I've said elsewhere. See if my impression changes.

EDIT: The cp240-M is what I'm using. No fit issues at all. They seem to sit in the ear more easily than the ZS5.

I definitely see the irony. Because your Chi-Fi value IEM isn't a bargain anymore.

Honestly, something like a Marshall Mode for $50 doesn't need any modifications to sound good. It's so comfy and well made. The sound quality is great if you want something warm and smooth

Oct 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #22,639 of 63,868
I'm confused. If KZ is subbing out the build to someone else... that someone else is the OEM and KZ are the designers in that relationship, yeah?

I used to manufacture my own automotive performance racing parts. I would do all of the design, engineering, prototyping, and testing. Then I would sub the final machining and welding to one shop, the electroplating to another, the powder coating to yet another, source the fasteners from a different supplier, the packaging from someone else, etc.

Then when I was all done I would do the final assembly, marketing, sales, and vendor/end user support (as well as continual product development).

It’s how quite a bit of manufacturing takes place. I don’t see headphones being any different.

Some processes could be done in house - for example I did some of the welding and finishing work too because I had the equipment.

So if KZ has the CNC machines, they could make their own ZS6 shells for example. Maybe they do, maybe they contract it out. China is brimming at the seams with factories (and even whole cities) that specialize in cables, other that specialize in plastic casting, others that specialize in fasteners, etc. So there’s no shortage of specialty places you could sun contract out a part of the manufacturing process (to someone with more specialty in that area, of with a huge capital investment in machines, etc).

My philosophy was always “let me do what I do best, and I’ll let you do what you do best.”

But even if they source drivers from a supplier vs manufacturing them in-house, they almoat certainly do the design, engineering, and assembly in house. They certainly handle heir own sales and distribution themselves. They are also an ODM for other people.

That doesn’t make them any less respectable as a manufacturer in my book.

That’s what lean, JIT, etc manufacturing is all about.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #22,640 of 63,868
I have a really bad habit of causing conversations to go sideways... I never meant to imply there was anything wrong there.

I was just musing on if QKZ might perhaps do some manufacturing for KZ, that's all.

And that given the market proliferation KZ have at their price point, it would seem to suggest they're at least heavily involved in the production of their BAs, which bear their own brand logo. No idea about their DDs one way or the other.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #22,641 of 63,868
I have a really bad habit of causing conversations to go sideways... I never meant to imply there was anything wrong there.

I was just musing on if QKZ might perhaps do some manufacturing for KZ, that's all.

And that given the market proliferation KZ have at their price point, it would seem to suggest they're at least heavily involved in the production of their BAs, which bear their own brand logo. No idea about their DDs one way or the other.

No. Thank you for making this thread a little more interesting. Otherwise, we'd mostly talk about wires and foam tips. That seems to be the general direction of this topic.

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #22,642 of 63,868
So stick to them, why even bother ?

Exactly. Sadly, I lost mine. And curiosity got the better of me, so now I'm ordering KZs.

I think I said it before, but these KZs need to be compared to other similarly priced earphones. Only because the competition is tough and the hype is inflated.

The Marshall Mode is definitely an underdog in every scenario. They had a lukewarm reception upon release because they were priced too high, at a $100. Now they're only $40~$50 and people are still not very interested. They have an unusual sound signature that's warm with slightly boomy bass and rolled off highs. Many people who like bright headphones (the majority of Head-fi, but I am only speculating) find this dull. They immediately disregard this earphone. But it's a solid performer! And the ergonomics are excellent.

I am just saying that people should raise their expectations a little higher with the ZS6s because there's a lot of competition in the $50 category, and it's not made obvious on this forum. Just to throw one out there: Zero Audio Carbon Tenore. How does that compare? Shouldn't you just buy that over the ZS6?

Oct 2, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #22,643 of 63,868
Exactly. Sadly, I lost mine. And curiosity got the better of me, so now I'm ordering KZs.

I think I said it before, but these KZs need to be compared to other similarly priced earphones. Only because the competition is tough and the hype is inflated.

The Marshall Mode is definitely an underdog in every scenario. They had a lukewarm reception upon release because they were priced too high, at a $100. Now they're only $40~$50 and people are still not very interested. They have an unusual sound signature that's warm with slightly boomy bass and rolled off highs. Many people who like bright headphones (the majority of Head-fi, but I am only speculating) find this dull. They immediately disregard this earphone. But it's a solid performer! And the ergonomics are excellent.

I am just saying that people should raise their expectations a little higher with the ZS6s because there's a lot of competition in the $50 category, and it's not made obvious on this forum. Just to throw one out there: Zero Audio Carbon Tenore. How does that compare? Shouldn't you just buy that over the ZS6?
You probably over analyse reviews. Most of us feels that the zs5v1 is good . Anyway at this price is already value for money . Can’t better than that.

Can you buy both and help us compare the carbon tenor ?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #22,644 of 63,868
I definitely see the irony. Because your Chi-Fi value IEM isn't a bargain anymore.

Honestly, something like a Marshall Mode for $50 doesn't need any modifications to sound good. It's so comfy and well made. The sound quality is great if you want something warm and smooth

Just because it didn't need mods doesn't mean it's better than what I ended up with now. The important thing is the result. You must not spend any time around IEMs if you think changing tips/cables is some unacceptable sin.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #22,645 of 63,868
The problem, and it's a big one, is that we simply don't know how they sound, without try them... :money_with_wings:

At now, thinking about broken cables and microphonics, i'm much more incline to buy IEM's with exchangeable cable and over-the-ear fit, in this category or more pricier stuff.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #22,646 of 63,868
The problem, and it's a big one, is that we simply don't know how they sound, without try them... :money_with_wings:

At now, thinking about broken cables and microphonics, i'm much more incline to buy IEM's with exchangeable cable and over-the-ear fit, in this category or more pricier stuff.

One of my biggest issues with the 1More Quads is the lack of exchangeable cable. I'm having some crackling issues and it's really bothering me.

And y'know, that's the nice thing about the KZ's. You can swap crap out and tune the sound. It's not "modifying" or anything.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #22,647 of 63,868

Oh, I was just adding to the general conversation about KZs manufacturing in general. I wasn’t trying to single you out due to anything you said or anything like that. I was on my phone and multi quote never seems to work properly, so your message just happened to be the one I quoted in my reply.

I’m glad that we can all come together and discuss multiple aspects of KZ - good, bad, or otherwise.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #22,648 of 63,868
The more I listen to the Zs6 the more it reveals. The details are better than I had originally given them credit for. Case in point, in listening to the Doobie Brothers Long Train running the guitar echos off the studio wall in the instrumental section that starts at 2:47 in. The Zs6 delivers that echo well and clearly. Nothing in my collection below the level of the Fostex T50Rp mod comes close to producing that level of detail. I have previously mentioned that I do have some eq applied to level the treble out. The nice thing with these is it is not immediately evident that I have the eq applied like it is on a lot of earphones. These take eq well and naturally without a lot of artificial sounding side effects.

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #22,649 of 63,868
The more I listen to the Zs6 the more it reveals. The details are better than I had originally given them credit for. Case in point, in listening to the Doobie Brothers Long Train running the guitar echos off the studio wall in the instrumental section that starts at 2:47 in. The Zs6 delivers that echo well and clearly. Nothing in my collection below the level of the Fostex T50Rp mod comes close to producing that level of detail. I have previously mentioned that I do have some eq applied to level the treble out. The nice thing with these is it is not immediately evident that I have the eq applied like it is on a lot of earphones. These take eq well and naturally without a lot of artificial sounding side effects.

That tips/cables are you using?

I'm still tip rolling but I admit that I'm pretty impressed so far. I think once I get the right combo these will be my daily drivers. There's just something they've got going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back