Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 8, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #20,957 of 64,162
Holy crap electric guitars sear the brain with these beautiful Treble Cannons. ZS5..
Screenshot_20170907-230250.jpg

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #20,959 of 64,162
Did anyone see the $5.99 deal price on the ES3 today? I checked from 08:00 to 10:00 UTC and the price didn't change at checkout.

:) it usually takes 10 to 20 second before all available ES3 at $5.99 deal price are gone.
Yesterday I managed to put 1 ES3 in my cart at the lower price, but when I pressed the "Buy" button it was already sold out.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #20,960 of 64,162
So I was using the ZS5 for a day now the bass has improved but I can't enjoy them there is harsh high sound these are hampering my listening experience can't listen to them for more than half an hour now.Is there a way to decrease the treble/high end.I didn't notice it earlier since I didn't listen to long hours now that I did I just can't ignore. I am starting to thing either there might be something wrong with my pair Or If this is due the revised edition with the two BA in the front I just might end up skipping the ZS6 I was really looking forward for them guess will have to wait till Kz releases another iem.:triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #20,961 of 64,162
Couple questions regarding what you're up to here:
what kind of foam did you use?
and just how deep did you push it down into the nozzle?

Since I had the bits laying around, I took the foam from a set of ZS3s and messed around with installing it as you describe at a couple different depths - either close to flush with the end of the BA nozzle or further in around more of the body of the BA and both produced slightly different results.

A few crude measurements suggest seating it deeper produces a slightly stronger deviation. Also EQing an unmodded set to attempt to replicate the effect definitely doesn't sound the same to me, but on crude measurements I was seeing a pretty significant pull down that looked rather like a narrow peak filter at around 4 kHz.

Now to figure out what size screen will fit the ZS5 as a replacement so I can do this to a properly working set...
(I did this to my moderately broken set since the screens were already off)

Also first impressions would be it seems to clean up some problem tracks some, but I'm reticent to comment much more - moderately broken set and all...

1. I used a very common black foam, the kind they use to protect Computer parts. It was used in the box inside my AMD graphics card. You can use any foam which is not too dense because you want it to mellow out the sound, but you don't want it to block the sound. You need these tiny holes in the foam. Don't use cheap yellow foam found in old pillows as it tends to crumble.

2. You don't want to push it down too deep in the nozzle as it can get lost down there.
You also dont want to use a piece too small as it would fall into the earphone itself.
Just make sure that it surrounds the BA and that it's snug enough to stay put.

3. Obviously, this isn't science. It's impossible for us to put the exact amount of foam or the exact type of foam , plus our ear canels and hearing as a whole is different. So our results WILL vary. :slight_smile:

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #20,962 of 64,162
So I was using the ZS5 for a day now the bass has improved but I can't enjoy them there is harsh high sound these are hampering my listening experience can't listen to them for more than half an hour now.Is there a way to decrease the treble/high end.I didn't notice it earlier since I didn't listen to long hours now that I did I just can't ignore. I am starting to thing either there might be something wrong with my pair Or If this is due the revised edition with the two BA in the front I just might end up skipping the ZS6 I was really looking forward for them guess will have to wait till Kz releases another iem.:triportsad:
Or you could wait until some people have left their actual impressions here because at this stage nobody knows what the ZS6 will sound like.

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #20,963 of 64,162
Or you could wait until some people have left their actual impressions here because at this stage nobody knows what the ZS6 will sound like.
Yeah I will probably wait and for people here to review them I was going to buy them once them drop in price a little like the ZS5 did but now I am definitely wait for thorough reviews

Sep 8, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #20,964 of 64,162

I still don't think that the problem is strictly in the BAs. Adding one more BA should only improve the high end because you are stressing the drivers less in order to produce the same volume of sound. There are 2 things that will change going from ZS5 to ZS6: peaks in the treble will change due to metal nozzle and a different mesh on the end of it, but more importantly, cross over where frequencies are properly divided could completely fix the high end. I strongly believe that unnatural highs of ZS5 v1 were due to phasing issues and things didn't improve going to v2 obviously, but treble is very clear, KZ's 30095 BA is very good and close to the real Knowles BA it's based on.

Sep 8, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #20,967 of 64,162
So yeah out of curiousity I decided to try a few different sources and I found that the ZST definitely does change quite a bit with different sources. Just putting a little bit of foam inside the ear tip (as an experiment, can't be bothered to open up the grill lol) does remove the sibilance without any noticeable detrimental effects, at least not to my ears. Was a fun experiment, testing out how different amounts of foam change the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back