Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 7, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #20,941 of 64,384
From this seems like the ZSE is the sound signature that comes closer to my likings while the ZS5 is just a must have in general, in the same time you say U shaped? My favourite sound signature of all time I wasn't able to find anywhere else has it the (don't laugh) the stock Samsung eims that came with the samsung s3 or similar. And it has been description as U-shaped. Of course the quality is not high level...so who knows. I'm wondering at this point if the ZSE is (technically) better than the Sony MH1C or just on par but with a decent cable.

I wouldn't say it's U-Shaped. Imagine an earphone trying to do all the frequencies at once.
It's almost neutral to my ears but sometimes its like someone added a subwoofer in a room and sometimes it feels as if the response starts high in the treble and ends almost neutral in the bass like:
upload_2017-9-8_2-41-29.png

Overall i'd say that it's obvious that the high pitched driver is more dominant in regular non edm songs.

Sep 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #20,942 of 64,384
Nice! Did you do it in the WHOLE nozzle, or just the BA driver's nozzle like the ZST foam mod?

Thanks, at first i did it to the whole nozzle because i thought that the BA is responsible for what I've perceived as "extra highs". I noticed that by doing so the earphones sound better but less...detailed? i don't know how to explain it, but it lost some of it's special "ZS5 magic".

So i put the foam only around the BA making sure it doesn't block the BA and now i feel as if i'm getting all the mids and highs which make the ZS5 unique while the Dynamic drivers are back there taking care of the bass and the mids (note that i don't really know what im talking about from a technical standpoint haha:L3000:).

I really don't understand why they put this foam in the ZS3 which is dark by nature, but not in the ZS5 when it's clearly needed in the ZS5.

I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe it's placebo, but today i felt as if they managed to pass "test tracks" that which didn't pass before. I was just going thru this huge playlist with a big smile on my face thinking about getting another ZS5.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #20,943 of 64,384
Thanks, at first i did it to the whole nozzle because i thought that the BA is responsible for what I've perceived as "extra highs". I noticed that by doing so the earphones sound better but less...detailed? i don't know how to explain it, but it lost some of it's special "ZS5 magic".

So i put the foam only around the BA making sure it doesn't block the BA and now i feel as if i'm getting all the mids and highs which make the ZS5 unique while the Dynamic drivers are back there taking care of the bass and the mids (note that i don't really know what im talking about from a technical standpoint haha:L3000:).

I really don't understand why they put this foam in the ZS3 which is dark by nature, but not in the ZS5 when it's clearly needed in the ZS5.

I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe it's placebo, but today i felt as if they managed to pass "test tracks" that which didn't pass before. I was just going thru this huge playlist with a big smile on my face thinking about getting another ZS5.

Sounds like your doing PDG for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing. :thumbsup:

Sep 7, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #20,945 of 64,384

Couple questions regarding what you're up to here:
what kind of foam did you use?
and just how deep did you push it down into the nozzle?

Since I had the bits laying around, I took the foam from a set of ZS3s and messed around with installing it as you describe at a couple different depths - either close to flush with the end of the BA nozzle or further in around more of the body of the BA and both produced slightly different results.

A few crude measurements suggest seating it deeper produces a slightly stronger deviation. Also EQing an unmodded set to attempt to replicate the effect definitely doesn't sound the same to me, but on crude measurements I was seeing a pretty significant pull down that looked rather like a narrow peak filter at around 4 kHz.

Now to figure out what size screen will fit the ZS5 as a replacement so I can do this to a properly working set...
(I did this to my moderately broken set since the screens were already off)

Also first impressions would be it seems to clean up some problem tracks some, but I'm reticent to comment much more - moderately broken set and all...

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #20,946 of 64,384
Looks like ZS6 is made of aluminum body with screws this time, if someone plans to get it please do a full disassembly and lets see the guts.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #20,948 of 64,384
pls ask that youtube guy who did the ZS5 to do it.
That video made me not getting the ZS5, for whatever reason the placement of that 2nd BA driver is ridiculous, almost like they slap it on just for their marketing gimmick.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #20,949 of 64,384
pls ask that youtube guy who did the ZS5 to do it.

Yeah, because he was so reliable and unbiased with the ZS5! haha

No, I trust one of us head-fiers for this job.

Sep 7, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #20,951 of 64,384
From this seems like the ZSE is the sound signature that comes closer to my likings while the ZS5 is just a must have in general, in the same time you say U shaped? My favourite sound signature of all time I wasn't able to find anywhere else has it the (don't laugh) the stock Samsung eims that came with the samsung s3 or similar. And it has been description as U-shaped. Of course the quality is not high level...so who knows. I'm wondering at this point if the ZSE is (technically) better than the Sony MH1C or just on par but with a decent cable.
Yea, paying for an IEM at such a low price you'll have to expect the cables to be a little cheaper, while a shirt-clip (a big plus) will do the job of lessening cable distortion. But, throw in the "gray starline ear tips" on the ZSE (if they fit your ear canals) and they will probably be your most prized personal gem.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #20,952 of 64,384
Yea, paying for an IEM at such a low price you'll have to expect the cables to be a little cheaper, while a shirt-clip (a big plus) will do the job of lessening cable distortion. But, throw in the "gray starline tips" on the ZSE (if they fit your ear canals) and they will probably be your most prized personal gem.
Totally agree, finding the best tip that fits you and you only is definitely more important then the cable.

Sep 8, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #20,954 of 64,384
Yea, paying for an IEM at such a low price you'll have to expect the cables to be a little cheaper, while a shirt-clip (a big plus) will do the job of lessening cable distortion. But, throw in the "gray starline ear tips" on the ZSE (if they fit your ear canals) and they will probably be your most prized personal gem.

@1clearhead have you tried using JVC spiral dots? I've been using these (mediums for me) on my ZSE since I got it a few weeks ago instead of the stock black starlines. Last night I tried your suggestion of using the old grey starlines and they sound very similar to the spiral dots. Definitely different and better sounding to me than the stock tips.

The reason I use the spiral dots is that their height is low and the ZSEs fit very snugly on my ear and is super-comfortable to listen with in bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back